Stuck keys

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

smaggy

Stuck keys

Post by smaggy »

I've run into an issue where if I'm say running right, sometimes when I let go of the stick, I keep running right unless I hit right again to kind of reset the game.

I'm using an X-Arcade Solo which shows up as a keyboard. So the movements are 2=down, 4=left, 6=right and 8=up.

Is there a keyboard repeat problem here or is it something to do with pressing the other buttons whilst I'm moving?
paulguy
Zealot

Re: Stuck keys

Post by paulguy »

Does this ever happen in any other programs?
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
smaggy

Post by smaggy »

No. It wells perfectly well with MAME, K-Fusion, Stella, Daphne, Visual Pinball, et al. That's what make me think it might be a setting that I've missed, not autorepeat, but perhaps something in the centering of the stick where no signal is being sent that the emulator needs to recognize.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

ZSNES doesn't have any deadzone leeway, so if the stick is the tiniest bit off center it will still register.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

grinvader wrote:ZSNES doesn't have any deadzone leeway, so if the stick is the tiniest bit off center it will still register.
it's a joystick-shaped keyboard (the original ones are PS/2). there is nothing analog about it, so deadzone is irrelevant unless the stick itself isn't releasing the switch - which is unlikely since the issue isn't cropping up in other programs.

OP can test that out in notepad just to make sure.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

There's no reason for it to happen only in ZSNES, since we're merely using what dinput/sdl reports is pressed or not.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
smaggy

Post by smaggy »

Well, I've test the stick with a keyboard tester program and found no problems. I did notice that when for instance my game character gets stuck moving right, the only way to get him to stop is to tap right once. That seems to fix the issue momentarily. It always seems to be a movement problem.

The stick layout look like this (minus the 2nd player)
http://www.xgaming.com/service/images/L ... ropped.JPG

It seems to happen when I'm holding right and pressing one of the buttons at the same time. I'll have to test to see which button specifically is causing the problem.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Could also be that you're pressing and releasing really fast, or something.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
smaggy

Post by smaggy »

Ok, I narrowed it down to the left-shift key that I use for the fire button. If I'm holding down right (6) and I press left-shift, it seems to lock down the right movement until I hit right again.