Yes, another Chrono Trigger L/R Topic

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

JohnTS1

Yes, another Chrono Trigger L/R Topic

Post by JohnTS1 »

Yes I know everyone has seen these threads a thousand times, and I wouldn't be making this topic if I wasn't at a complete loss of what to do. I've read probably over 50+ threads all over the internet on this matter.

I am using ZSNES 1.51 and playing on a laptop keyboard and I am completely stuck on opening that door in Arris Dome where it requires the L/R keys to be held down along with pressing A.

I have tried key combos, I have tried setting the 3 keys to one button, I have tried setting the L/R keys to Ctrl and Alt, it does not work!!! I am coming to the agreement that the L/R keys are simply bugged and don't work at all on this emulator version. Chrono Trigger is the only rom I have tried on ZSNES so I haven't even tested the L/R keys in other games yet to see if this is actually the issue. I don't know if the L/R keys actually do anything in Chrono Trigger besides this door sequence. I've tried navigating the "menu" in the game with L/R and nothing happens.

So anyways. Anyone have any tips/advice/help? I have no idea what to do. Maybe offer some key combos that I can try? Maybe some setting in the controls menu is supposed to be ticked on that I haven't touched yet? I haven't messed with the "seconds" delay setting when setting a key combo, not sure how that works. But help me out please.
Gonzo
Regular

Re: Yes, another Chrono Trigger L/R Topic

Post by Gonzo »

Ok I just to have to ask, have you spoken to the rat and gotten the code off of him or have you just gone straight for the console and tried to input the code?
JohnTS1

Post by JohnTS1 »

Yes I have talked to the rat and everything and have received his instructions. Now hes frozen in place.
JohnTS1

Post by JohnTS1 »

Fucking wow. Apparently earlier when I beat the robot boss in Arris Dome I then went and caught the rat and got the password from him. I did not previously know about the whole 3 keys simultaneously don't work so I figured I had to go to a different area. Well I played through the "sewers" and got through there thinking that's where I would use this L/R + A password. Later I read on the net that it was actually the shiny console in Arris Dome which I walked by several times.

Well apparently the whole thing reset once I left the place. The robot boss came back and the rat came back as well. I had to redo everything for some reason and then re-catch the rat and get the password again. And setting L/R + A to the SAME KEY worked instantly this time around. Wow.

tl/dr
Don't leave Arris Dome once you beat the robot boss and get the password from the rat or else the entire thing resets and you have to fight the boss again and re-catch the rat so you can open the stupid door.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

This is the nth time someone gets stuck in this particular section in Chrono Trigger. Is the solution in general really that obtuse or just the age-old "can't press L+R+A simultaneously" variety?
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
JohnTS1

Post by JohnTS1 »

Well I had no idea the whole thing would reset once I left Arris Dome. I just decided to go exploring it again and out of nowhere the robot boss re-appears and I'm like WTF? Only after killing him and talking to that rat again did it allow me to open the door with no problems.
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Agozer wrote:This is the nth time someone gets stuck in this particular section in Chrono Trigger. Is the solution in general really that obtuse or just athe age-old "can't press L+R+A simultaneously?
Generally it's just that someone is unable to press all three keys at the same time due to their keyboard, but todays example seems to be a special case.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Gonzo wrote:
Agozer wrote:This is the nth time someone gets stuck in this particular section in Chrono Trigger. Is the solution in general really that obtuse or just athe age-old "can't press L+R+A simultaneously?
Generally it's just that someone is unable to press all three keys at the same time due to their keyboard, but todays example seems to be a special case.
Yeah really, I never knew the robot boss resets itself....
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

That might be a useful way to grind out a few levels, come to think of it.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Okay. I don't know what you're doing right and what I'm doing wrong, but I just tried what you said:

* fight the robot boss in Arris Dome (Guardian/Bit, right?)
* Go into the refridgeration room and get the seed
* catch the rat
* go explore the sewers
* go back to Arris Dome and the boss resets, right?

WRONG. No resetting robot boss, I just get to go straight to the refridgeration room. For S&Gs, I reset the game, fought the boss, left arris dome and came back. Nothing.

So I dunno what's going on... unless somehow you didn't save the game after fighting the robot boss, went exploring, and then you came back to a reset boss. :?

NSRT Info for my ROM:

Code: Select all

C:\Games\Emulators\SNES\roms>nsrt "chronotrigger.smc"
NSRT v3.3 - Nach's SNES ROM Tools

---------------------Internal ROM Info----------------------
       File: chronotrigger.smc
       Name: CHRONO TRIGGER         Company: Square
     Header: SWC                       Bank: HiROM
Interleaved: No                        SRAM: 64 Kb
       Type: Normal + Batt              ROM: 32 Mb
  ROM Speed: 120ns (FastROM)       Revision: 1.0
   Checksum: Good 0x788C              CRC32: 2D206BF7
--------------------------Database--------------------------
   Name: Chrono Trigger
 Port 1: Gamepad                  Port 2: Gamepad
Genre 1: RPG                     Genre 2: Turn Based

Ran for 0 hours 0 minutes 0 seconds.
EDIT: So far, the only thing I managed to "reset" was the whole rat chasing thing. go back into the refridgeration room and speak to the dead guy, and it resets that part anyway. Still, NO resetting robot boss, AT ALL and after catching the rat the first time, I can always input the password (no Lucca telling me I need a password when I speak to the panel).
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Probably just loaded a state from before he fought the boss without noticing...
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

grinvader wrote:Probably just loaded a state from before he fought the boss without noticing...
Hadn't considered that possibility as well.
NSRT here.
JohnTS1

Post by JohnTS1 »

grinvader wrote:Probably just loaded a state from before he fought the boss without noticing...
I'm not so sure of that. Because I remember I had newer items by the time I came back to Arris Dome than when I first arrived there. I can tell you that after I left Arris Dome the first time, I went to the Sewers and fought through there and I found the Bolt Sword. Maybe that "event" must of reset something in the game world.

One more thing. I do distinctly remember leaving Arris Dome briefly after defeating the robot boss then returning and he did not respawn. So maybe its a timer thing as well. If you stay outside for too long without advancing the thing resets itself.

Regardless, at least we are ruling out all possibilities here right now. Hopefully others can learn something from this thread.