Mayflash Wii U Pro controller adapter.

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

I_am_dumb
Hazed

Mayflash Wii U Pro controller adapter.

Post by I_am_dumb »

http://www.mayflash.com/Products/NINTENDOWiiU/W009.html

It looks as though this page is just a placeholder and this device has not actually
been released yet (I don't see it on Amazon or Ebay, their usual avenues for selling)
I don't know if I'll be getting one, given the rather steep cost of the Wii U Pro controllers.
But still, the idea is pretty cool. They've also got a similar adapter for PS3 controllers.

http://www.mayflash.com/Products/PCUSB/PS3003.html

I already have their wireless adapter for the original flatties (and old Wii Pro) controllers,
and I'm pretty happy with its performance. Other people say they experience BSODs or
other such stuff, but I don't get those... but then again, I also just use Joy2Key and
ignored the supplied software disc. The idea of using the Pro, which is totally wireless,
seems pretty cool though... but I'd have to hold one in my hands and be able to judge
the build quality before I'd even consider paying $50 for one to use with this adapter.

The descrip on their site also says that it has a DirectInput mode, I'll go out on a limb
and assume that means that it can still function as a regular Windows HID device like
prior models for the old original Wii controllers.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: Mayflash Wii U Pro controller adapter.

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Why would you need a dedicated adapter for a Bluetooth device? Unless I'm missing something, it would make far more sense to just get a Bluetooth adapter.
I_am_dumb wrote: The descrip on their site also says that it has a DirectInput mode, I'll go out on a limb
and assume that means that it can still function as a regular Windows HID device like
prior models for the old original Wii controllers.
Yes, DirectInput-compatible would be a standard HID-compliant gamepad
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

My original Wii classic controller adapter fried when it broke one of my USB ports (lottle plastic pin holder in the port broke off) so there is likely no input protection. I imagine they're kind of cheapo.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

I've had the wireless model (for the old Wii Classic Controllers) let's see... since Nov of 2011, and it's been working for me fine ever since. No BSODs, no mysteriously dying one day. Yeah, it is just a little plastic clip in the little dongle stick, same as any flash drive or whatever... but I'm usually pretty careful with things. Then again, I also have this crazy habit of using usb extender cables, rather than actually plugging anything into the top of my computer, so since I rarely ever touch it or move it, risk of snapping is pretty reduced. I also bought a cheapo USB fm transmitter (to use my mp3 player's built in FM to tap into my computer's sound) and I've yet to break that... was like, $7.

As for Gil's question. Yeah, I could fiddle around with Glovepie and PPJoy scripts and BT dongles and whatnot, but I don't really have the patience (yet I have the patience to make profiles in Joy2Key? lol) to go through all that. I'd much rather have a device to force the controllers to act as HID so that they'll act the same as any wired third party USB controller. Probably seems pointless and superfluous to those with the know-how for the other methods, but meh...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I_am_dumb wrote:I've had the wireless model (for the old Wii Classic Controllers) let's see... since Nov of 2011, and it's been working for me fine ever since. No BSODs, no mysteriously dying one day. Yeah, it is just a little plastic clip in the little dongle stick, same as any flash drive or whatever... but I'm usually pretty careful with things. Then again, I also have this crazy habit of using usb extender cables, rather than actually plugging anything into the top of my computer, so since I rarely ever touch it or move it, risk of snapping is pretty reduced. I also bought a cheapo USB fm transmitter (to use my mp3 player's built in FM to tap into my computer's sound) and I've yet to break that... was like, $7.

As for Gil's question. Yeah, I could fiddle around with Glovepie and PPJoy scripts and BT dongles and whatnot, but I don't really have the patience (yet I have the patience to make profiles in Joy2Key? lol) to go through all that. I'd much rather have a device to force the controllers to act as HID so that they'll act the same as any wired third party USB controller. Probably seems pointless and superfluous to those with the know-how for the other methods, but meh...
Just saying... it'd make more sense to offer a streamlined software solution than another hacked-up proprietary single-purpose Bluetooth adapter(which is fast becoming my most-hated computing device). GRANTED the emulation community would pirate the ever-loving Q*Bert out of it, but it would be a sane implementation.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

Seems to me like a lot of people either don't know how to set that kind of stuff up,
don't want to pay extra for it or the things required, or just don't want to mess with it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384764
(Yes, I realize it's a thread for the old adapter, but I'm amused
by how the "JUST USE [INSERT PROGRAM + BT DONGLE] U NEWB!"
responses seem to be in the minority compared to the people who're
just happy to see there's a more effortless option they can go with.

Plug n' Play and Direct Input, to me anyway, seems like a far easier way of doing things.
And I don't even -need- the included Xinput support, as I've been using x360ce.exe
for fooling games like Bastion into thinking my flat Classic is a 360 controller. (Yeah,
let's just lock people out of a useful mode in the game unless they have our proprietary
USB controller and not let that mode be un-grey'd until they hook one up... lulz.)

As for PS3....

I'll pay $19-25 for an adapter before I'll -ever- touch a program as shady-looking as this.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I_am_dumb wrote:Seems to me like a lot of people either don't know how to set that kind of stuff up,
don't want to pay extra for it or the things required, or just don't want to mess with it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384764
(Yes, I realize it's a thread for the old adapter, but I'm amused
by how the "JUST USE [INSERT PROGRAM + BT DONGLE] U NEWB!"
responses seem to be in the minority compared to the people who're
just happy to see there's a more effortless option they can go with.
You do realize there's actually plenty of space in the world for something in-between "proprietary hardware" and "massive cryptic mess of nonsense", right?
You're twisting my words around to make it sound like I'm saying people HAVE to use GlovePIE. On the contrary, I'm saying something simpler SHOULD exist.

There's no reason whatsoever there can't just be a run-and-done driver for the Classic Controller Pro. But no one will do it because one side thinks GlovePIE is "good enough" and the other side would rather sell proprietary hardware at ginormous markups than do something sane.

Alternatively, Mayflash could treat it the Bluetooth transceiver they sell as a "value-added" feature, by making their proprietary dongle ALSO work as the Bluetooth transceiver it, well, is.

You're paying for a Bluetooth transceiver no matter how you come at it, it may as well be one that works with ALL Bluetooth accessories.
There's simply no excuse for taking a perfectly good interface protocol and wrapping it in a layer of proprietary mess to break it for all but one or two specific devices.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:You're twisting my words around to make it sound like I'm saying people HAVE to use GlovePIE. On the contrary, I'm saying something simpler SHOULD exist.
When I wrote that little quip, I was mainly referring to the people on -that- forum. I had a bad impression of you back in the first thread about the first adapter, but afterwards, when you 'came around,' I didn't think you were completely against the concept or shouting me down about it. The folks replying to the guy's post on Neogaf, on the other hand... it's like they're confused as to why anyone would even want / need such a device when they can just go spend $40 for a Wiimote, $20 for a CC, whatever $ for a BT dongle, and go track down some scripts for Glovepie or whatever and have to go through the resyncing process whenever they want to use it again.

Gil_Hamilton wrote:There's no reason whatsoever there can't just be a run-and-done driver for the Classic Controller Pro. But no one will do it because one side thinks GlovePIE is "good enough" and the other side would rather sell proprietary hardware at ginormous markups than do something sane.
Eh, so long as the adapter doesn't exceed $25, I don't see it as being that big a deal.
And prices drop on their stuff anyway when they see that too few people are buying.
So if it doesn't end up selling well because people can just use non-proprietary BT
dongles, that just means the prices will go lower, which is a benefit and incentive
for all the 'newbs' who would want to buy and use such a device.
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Alternatively, Mayflash could treat the Bluetooth transceiver they sell as a "value-added" feature, by making their proprietary dongle -ALSO- work as the Bluetooth transceiver that it is. You're paying for a Bluetooth transceiver no matter how you come at it, it may as well be one that works with ALL Bluetooth accessories. There's simply no excuse for taking a perfectly good interface protocol and wrapping it in a layer of proprietary mess to break it for all but one or two specific devices.
All I know is that the adapters for both the Wii U Pro controller and PS3 controller are meant to convert those devices to be useable as Direct Input HID devices. I don't know how a Wii U Gamepad, a Wiimote, or a 3rd party Wii U Pro controller or a BT earphone piece or whatever the hell else uses Bluetooth, I don't have either adapter yet, and I don't think that other non controller type devices would really conform to whatever software is running to make devices work as Direct Input controllers. Here's to -hoping- though, that they will at least support third party versions of the Wii U and PS3 controllers. I mean if those things also trick the consoles into thinking they're the real deal, surely it would behave the same way with the adapter. (But then again, when I tried to hook a Nyko Wing to the wireless adapter for the non-U Wii controllers, the buttons in Windows Gamepad Setup screen just went all red but yet that controller is reported to work fine on an actual Wii (though it's also reported to stop functioning if the user tries to load the Homebrew Channel.)
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I_am_dumb wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:You're twisting my words around to make it sound like I'm saying people HAVE to use GlovePIE. On the contrary, I'm saying something simpler SHOULD exist.
When I wrote that little quip, I was mainly referring to the people on -that- forum. I had a bad impression of you back in the first thread about the first adapter, but afterwards, when you 'came around,' I didn't think you were completely against the concept or shouting me down about it.
My opinion never changed. I'm still sure the product doesn't exist solely because you e-mailed them about it.
And while I am being negative on this ... abomination, I'm glad the other device exists. The Wiimote is a lot of additional overhead if you just want to use the Classic Controller.

The folks replying to the guy's post on Neogaf, on the other hand... it's like they're confused as to why anyone would even want / need such a device when they can just go spend $40 for a Wiimote, $20 for a CC, whatever $ for a BT dongle, and go track down some scripts for Glovepie or whatever and have to go through the resyncing process whenever they want to use it again.
Enthusiasts can be... special.
I'm no exception, though I TRY to rein in my excesses.

GlovePIE is exceptionally special, since it was designed for VR controllers, not standard gamepads. While it's suited for the Wiimote(if a little overkill for it's limited capabilities), for a mostly-standard gamepad it's like bringing a 50mm gatling gun to a pistol duel.
Gil_Hamilton wrote:There's no reason whatsoever there can't just be a run-and-done driver for the Classic Controller Pro. But no one will do it because one side thinks GlovePIE is "good enough" and the other side would rather sell proprietary hardware at ginormous markups than do something sane.
Eh, so long as the adapter doesn't exceed $25, I don't see it as being that big a deal.
And prices drop on their stuff anyway when they see that too few people are buying.
So if it doesn't end up selling well because people can just use non-proprietary BT
dongles, that just means the prices will go lower, which is a benefit and incentive
for all the 'newbs' who would want to buy and use such a device.
Well, I'm somewhat polarized on the issue currently, having gone shopping for a wireless keyboard and mouse and gazing in wonder and disgust at the massive proliferation of proprietary 2.4GHz interfaces.
Bluetooth was supposed to unify us under one common wireless protocol, not result in an economy of scale for devices that can easily be adapted into proprietary RF dongles.
There's no reason everything should need it's own radio dongle. They're ALL using Bluetooth devices with custom ROMs to break proper functionality, and it's outrageous.

It's like if everyone sold devices that used standard USB connectors, but nothing ACTUALLY used standard USB communications, so you had to have a bunch of adapters to plug these devices into.

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Alternatively, Mayflash could treat the Bluetooth transceiver they sell as a "value-added" feature, by making their proprietary dongle -ALSO- work as the Bluetooth transceiver that it is. You're paying for a Bluetooth transceiver no matter how you come at it, it may as well be one that works with ALL Bluetooth accessories. There's simply no excuse for taking a perfectly good interface protocol and wrapping it in a layer of proprietary mess to break it for all but one or two specific devices.
All I know is that the adapters for both the Wii U Pro controller and PS3 controller are meant to convert those devices to be useable as Direct Input HID devices. I don't know how a Wii U Gamepad, a Wiimote, or a 3rd party Wii U Pro controller or a BT earphone piece or whatever the hell else uses Bluetooth, I don't have either adapter yet, and I don't think that other non controller type devices would really conform to whatever software is running to make devices work as Direct Input controllers.
Well, you could implement a two-path setup in the device. Things which are "normal" Bluetooth devices pass through unmolested, while things which are Wii U gamepads get further processed by the device and are presented to the system as a USB HID gamepad.
I seriously doubt they will, which... frustrates me.
Here's to -hoping- though, that they will at least support third party versions of the Wii U and PS3 controllers. I mean if those things also trick the consoles into thinking they're the real deal, surely it would behave the same way with the adapter. (But then again, when I tried to hook a Nyko Wing to the wireless adapter for the non-U Wii controllers, the buttons in Windows Gamepad Setup screen just went all red but yet that controller is reported to work fine on an actual Wii (though it's also reported to stop functioning if the user tries to load the Homebrew Channel.)
Ahhh... were you trying to connect the Wing DIRECTLY to this adapter? Because the Wing wasn't designed to talk directly to a host system.
It communicates with a dongle that attaches to a Wiimote, so it is functionally the same as a Classic Controller(tm), right down to needing a host Wiimote. I wouldn't expect it to reliably connect to anything but it's own dongle.

Unless Nyko redesigned it to be a standalone device after I bought mine. In which case I hope they fixed the d-pad too. Mine was... sub-optimal.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

Gil_Hamilton wrote: My opinion never changed. I'm still sure the product doesn't exist solely because you e-mailed them about it. And while I am being negative on this ... abomination, I'm glad the other device exists. The Wiimote is a lot of additional overhead if you just want to use the Classic Controller.
In the first cap, how could I possibly have obtained
an image of the untooled, unfinished product?
http://s16.postimg.org/ktbiavx3p/Gil_1_wired.png
http://s15.postimg.org/exkvwje2z/Gil_2_wireless.png

And as for the present adapter in question...
http://s7.postimg.org/ezoi3229n/Gil_3_Wii_UPro.png

The folks replying to the guy's post on Neogaf, on the other hand... it's like they're confused as to why anyone would even want / need such a device when they can just go spend $40 for a Wiimote, $20 for a CC, whatever $ for a BT dongle, and go track down some scripts for Glovepie or whatever and have to go through the resyncing process whenever they want to use it again.
Gil_Hamilton wrote: Enthusiasts can be... special.
I'm no exception, though I TRY to rein in my excesses.

GlovePIE is exceptionally special, since it was designed for VR controllers, not standard gamepads. While it's suited for the Wiimote (if a little overkill for its limited capabilities), for a mostly-standard gamepad it's like bringing a 50mm gatling gun to a pistol duel.

Enthusiasts are "special..." like how so?

Gil_Hamilton wrote: Well, I'm somewhat polarized on the issue currently, having gone shopping for a wireless keyboard and mouse and gazing in wonder and disgust at the massive proliferation of proprietary 2.4GHz interfaces.
Bluetooth was supposed to unify us under one common wireless protocol, not result in an economy of scale for devices that can easily be adapted into proprietary RF dongles. There's no reason everything should need its own radio frequency dongle. They're ALL using Bluetooth devices with custom ROMs to break proper functionality, and it's outrageous.

It's like if everyone sold devices that used standard USB connectors, but nothing ACTUALLY used standard USB communications, so you had to have a bunch of adapters to plug these devices into.

Ahhhhh.....

Gil_Hamilton wrote: Well, you could implement a two-path setup in the device. Things which are "normal" Bluetooth devices pass through unmolested, while things which are Wii U gamepads get further processed by the device and are presented to the system as a USB HID gamepad. I seriously doubt they will, which... frustrates me.

I am confused by that last sentence... you seriously doubt they'll actually show up as HID gamepads?
One way to find out, I'll let you know when I get the adapter... : p I got a Wii U Pro controller in anticipation of this adapter. It was $29 at my local Goodwill, brand new in its box. I have to say I'm a little unimpressed with the build and the shape. I can honestly say the old flatties still feel better than this. Also I'm surprised they could actually make their shoulder triggers -worse- when they had them so improved on the old Pro.
Gil_Hamilton wrote: Ahhh... were you trying to connect the Wing DIRECTLY to this adapter? Because the Wing wasn't designed to talk directly to a host system. It communicates with a dongle that attaches to a Wiimote, so it is functionally the same as a Classic Controller(tm), right down to needing a host Wiimote. I wouldn't expect it to reliably connect to anything but its own dongle.

Unless Nyko redesigned it to be a standalone device after I bought mine. In which case I hope they fixed the Dpad too. Mine was... sub-optimal.
I was trying it with it plugged into the wireless CC to USB adapter. I don't have a $40 Wiimote and a Bluetooth dongle to try it the other way, and like you said, it's a rather crappy controller. The shoulders are harbl. I really wish they hadn't repeated Nintendo's mistakes and had actually used digital triggers with rubber plungers behind them like the PS2 controllers and the old Pro controller. The only thing they did right, imo, was the analogs and their tops. It's too bad I'm too much of a chicken sh*t to attempt transplanting the sticks from the Wing into one of my official controllers, those things are tight as hell.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I_am_dumb wrote: Enthusiasts are "special..." like how so?
They can be a little bit crazy. And a little bit stupid.
They don't always recognize that they're current solution is... sub-optimal, and that a better way can exist.
Gil_Hamilton wrote: Well, you could implement a two-path setup in the device. Things which are "normal" Bluetooth devices pass through unmolested, while things which are Wii U gamepads get further processed by the device and are presented to the system as a USB HID gamepad. I seriously doubt they will, which... frustrates me.

I am confused by that last sentence... you seriously doubt they'll actually show up as HID gamepads?
No, I'm sure about that part.

I'm saying if Mayflash wanted to be awesome, the device would do that AND pass the standard Bluetooth traffic on to the OS for other devices. I'm pretty sure it's only going to do the gamepad part, which will disappoint me.

(Tangentally, despite the Bluetooth gamepad standard being a Bluetooth header on the end of a USB gamepad packet, I'd still choose to simulate a USB gamepad. In many OSes, the USB path is a lot lower-latency than the Bluetooth path).

Gil_Hamilton wrote: Ahhh... were you trying to connect the Wing DIRECTLY to this adapter? Because the Wing wasn't designed to talk directly to a host system. It communicates with a dongle that attaches to a Wiimote, so it is functionally the same as a Classic Controller(tm), right down to needing a host Wiimote. I wouldn't expect it to reliably connect to anything but its own dongle.

Unless Nyko redesigned it to be a standalone device after I bought mine. In which case I hope they fixed the Dpad too. Mine was... sub-optimal.
I was trying it with it plugged into the wireless CC to USB adapter.
Ah.
My best guess is a power supply issue. The RF dongle is going to require significantly more power than a wired controller will(particularly as the I2C bus Wiimote accessories use was designed to be a low-power interface) , and if they didn't design for a (relatively) high current draw, then it won't work right.
It's too bad I'm too much of a chicken sh*t to attempt transplanting the sticks from the Wing into one of my official controllers, those things are tight as hell.
If it makes you feel better, they're probably a bitch to transplant anyways. I've not opened either device, but I expect the solder points to be pretty tightly spaced. Hopefully not surface-mount connections, but I wouldn't bet on it.
I've not opened my Wing nor my Classic Controller, mostly due to apathy. Used to open devices like that just for fun, now I usually need a reason to.

Unless you meant just transplanting the plastic stick parts and not the underlying potentiometer/spring mechanism. That might be relatively easy to do, depending.
I did that to a pair of PS1 pads to repair damage from a nervous dog that had torn up the thumbsticks while I was out. Took thumbsticks from a different pad that met with static discharge(was wiping dust off a large CRT with one hand while holding the pad with the other) and moved them over to the chewed-up pad and used a pocket knife to remove any stray pointy bits on the grips.
I miss the static'ed pad. It was a nice gamepad.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:If it makes you feel better, they're probably a bitch to transplant anyways. I've not opened either device, but I expect the solder points to be pretty tightly spaced. Hopefully not surface-mount connections, but I wouldn't bet on it. I've not opened my Wing nor my Classic Controller, mostly due to apathy. Used to open devices like that just for fun, now I usually need a reason to.

Unless you meant just transplanting the plastic stick parts and not the underlying potentiometer/spring mechanism. That might be relatively easy to do, depending. I did that to a pair of PS1 pads to repair damage from a nervous dog that had torn up the thumbsticks while I was out.
I meant both, the stick topper and the potentiometer. The ones I pulled out of the Wing have crazy resistance. But they probably wouldn't fit and I don't feel like risking any of my NiB controllers to attempt a mod like that. Kinda makes me wish though, that some of those Chinese Bootlegs that are shaped and molded from actual Classic Controllers had the ringed or indented stick top like the Wing, since if they're already molding straight from the official, it would fit without any tooling since the center would have the same shaped hole.

I bought a set of knockoffs in black...
Just so that I can replace the Select button I accidentally stepped on, broke and had
to super glue (resulting in a much shorter button that's now a smidge harder to press).

Also planning to take the nice, solid color black buttons out of it to replace the B and A, imo the clear buttons Ninty used feel sticky all the time even after cleaning, also flatter, in comparison to the Y and X which feel smoother and also have more convex-ness to them. I think the resulting contrast of white Y and X versus black B and A will look nice. My end result (assuming the boot's molds are based on the official controller) should result in something like this.... (ugly, right? Lulz).

Also makes me wish that those bootleg guys would just sell the damn parts as standalone pieces
so I wouldn't be buying whole controllers of inferior functionality just to get 8 YXBA buttons.
Bonus points if those buttons were done up in the PAL SNES pad colors.

I saw this ages ago:
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/08/simpl ... ontroller/

But that mod requires sanding the holes.... the most I'm willing to do as far as 'modding' goes is take
the controllers apart and stick those little 'paper doughnuts' for loose leaf paper over the sensors to
add more 'pop' to the buttons and Dpad and making thick little paper discs by putting stacked blank
label stickers through a hole punch and using tweezers to get those onto the top of the rubber bit
that's under the L and R to give the shoulders less of an 'empty' feel and to get each one to have
somewhat 'equal' sensation when I press them (most of the time, out of box, one feels good and
one feels like its rubber piece is either too short or both just feel like there's no rubber at all even
though it is in fact, there). I'm not willing to shred brand new controllers that cost me $19 a piece
and break / sand the pegs off the colored buttons from a SNES pad to make them fit.
Last edited by I_am_dumb on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I_am_dumb wrote: I meant both, the stick topper and the potentiometer. The ones I pulled out of the Wing have crazy resistance. But they probably wouldn't fit and I don't feel like risking any of my NiB controllers to attempt a mod like that.
Yeah. There's a CHANCE they'll fit, but I wouldn't place any money on it.
Also planning to take the nice, solid color black buttons out of it to replace the B and A, imo the clear buttons Ninty used feel sticky all the time even after cleaning, also flatter, in comparison to the Y and X which feel smoother and also have more convex-ness to them. I think the resulting contrast of white Y and X versus black B and A will look nice. My end result (assuming the boot's molds are based on the
official controller) should result in something like this.... (ugly, right? Lulz).
That actually looks damn sexy.
And I like the AB and XY buttons having different feel. It's one of the things I really like about the US SNES controller.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:That actually looks damn sexy. And I like the AB and XY buttons having different feel. It's one of the things I really like about the US SNES controller.
I feel bad about straying from the original topic, but you seem to have shown some interest in this.

Typical of bootlegs, very little on the inside matches exactly with the official version.
For instance, the Start, Home and Select buttons, while they have the same shape
and still fit inside their intended holes, the peg is much much longer. I fixed this by
sanding it down in order to get the peg height to match the little ridges on the sides.
My Start and Select actually feel loads better and I can press them easier / quicker.
I sanded a few others similarly and kept them around to replace in my other pads.
The B and A buttons, while being the solid color I wanted and not clear, still have
flaws. Whatever process used to mold these buttons result in a concave divit in
the center, tried filling this up with some blue rubber "poster tack" and later
some hole punched paper discs, still didn't work out too well so I went back
to my old clear buttons. But for the sake of showing, here's a pic.

The bootleg B and A just don't have that same hard pop as the clear ones.
Everything else in the knockoff is similarly knock-offy, the Dpad looks the
same on the outside, but underneath, it's all cross pegs like you'd see in
a Madcatz pad, not on a rounded center peg with circular indents for the
tops of the rubber to go into like the official controller.... mleh.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I_am_dumb wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:That actually looks damn sexy. And I like the AB and XY buttons having different feel. It's one of the things I really like about the US SNES controller.
I feel bad about straying from the original topic, but you seem to have shown some interest in this.
Off-topic is the true destiny of all threads. Don't feel bad about it. :P
Typical of bootlegs, very little on the inside matches exactly with the official version.
For instance, the Start, Home and Select buttons, while they have the same shape
and still fit inside their intended holes, the peg is much much longer. I fixed this by
sanding it down in order to get the peg height to match the little ridges on the sides.
My Start and Select actually feel loads better and I can press them easier / quicker.
Oooh. Tuned responsiveness, effectively.
I sanded a few others similarly and kept them around to replace in my other pads.
The B and A buttons, while being the solid color I wanted and not clear, still have
flaws. Whatever process used to mold these buttons result in a concave divit in
the center
Gah!

I'd bet that's where the plastic injection happened(injection molding being by far the most common technique for mass-produced plastic devices), and the concave divot is from the polishing process.
I'd ask what toolbox thinks putting the injector gate on the user-facing side is a good idea, but... no one ever said bootlegs were about quality. Should just be glad they polished it instead of leaving sharp edges there.
Everything else in the knockoff is similarly knock-offy, the Dpad looks the
same on the outside, but underneath, it's all cross pegs like you'd see in
a Madcatz pad, not on a rounded center peg with circular indents for the
tops of the rubber to go into like the official controller.... mleh.
Ah well.

Mebbe some day I'll get me some plastic dyes and just dip buttons to recolor them or something.
I do like the multi-color look. It breaks up the stark blandness of the standard white-on-white.

I "detailed" my White GameBoy Advance with a mechanical pencil once just to see what it'd look like. Colored the indented Nintendo logo and traced the outlines of the Start/Select ovals.
It added a bit of "pop" to it. The Nintendo logo worked so well I went back and inked it to make it permanent(well, as long as you don't decide to start rubbing at it for some reason... I'm pretty sure it'd come right back off after a while if you did).

Wanted to shade the ridges around the "power" text with a red colored pencil, and the start/select text outlines with the same mechanical pencil. That... did not work out so well. Not really room to do it.
And detailing the d-pad and buttons is just a lost cause. Neither part is a very "grippy" plastic, and they're both rubbed frequently, so any efforts there will disappear almost immediately. (though I DID get something to stick on the circular depression in the center of the d-pad... somehow)
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

Just wanted to let anyone interested know that I have both the PS3 and Wii U controller adapters in my possession and they both work great except for the fact Mayflash took out support for the Home button (not a big deal if you don't use my tailored Joy2Key set up, and I get by this easily by setting the Right stick's click-in top as my profile switcher instead. Might make a video of it in action once I get all my profiles altered to compensate for the change.)