Controller detected two ways! How do I fix it?

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

SpikeyGG

Controller detected two ways! How do I fix it?

Post by SpikeyGG »

Hello all,

I'm setting up a MythTV box as the center piece of my home entertainment system and I want to get all my game systems in place. MythTV has a plugin for playing games called MythGame. It allows me to run ZSNES and play all the SNES games... YAY! However, I ran into a little issue with running ZSNES from Myth.

It's a weird problem because it's difficult to pinpoint who's problem it is since it only happens when I run both pieces of software. :( Here's the overall picture...

I've got the following devices plugged in:
Device 0 - USB Nyko Air Flo EX
Device 1 - USB Logitech Wingman RumblePad
Device 2 - USB Microsoft Sidewinder Game Pad Pro

When I run ZSNES alone from a command prompt, I get this:
Device 0 Honey Bee AIRFLO
6 axis, 14 buttons, 0 hats, 0 balls
Device 1 Logitech Inc. WingMan RumblePad
7 axis, 10 buttons, 0 hats, 0 balls
Device 2 Microsoft SideWinder Game Pad Pro USB version 1.0
2 axis, 10 buttons, 0 hats, 0 balls

When I run ZSNES from MythGame, I get this:
Device 0 Honey Bee AIRFLO
4 axis, 13 buttons, 1 hats, 0 balls
Device 1 Logitech Inc. WingMan RumblePad
5 axis, 9 buttons, 1 hats, 0 balls
Device 2 Microsoft SideWinder Game Pad Pro USB version 1.0
2 axis, 10 buttons, 0 hats, 0 balls

MythGame gives you the exact command line with all the options in the logfile (where I got the above info from). I ran the command line experiment with the exact options that MythGame was using.

You can see that I get significantly different results with the first two joysticks while the Microsoft Sidewinder seems to work fine with both methods of detection (go figure). Anyway, this causes problems because I can define all my buttons from the command line but when I go to play the games from Myth only a few of the buttons work and lots of them are remapped to different places. Is this a problem with ZSNES or Myth?? Does anyone know?

I appologize for the long email. :P

Thanks,
-Greg

UPDATE --- not 10 minutes after I posted this message I compiled the latest CVS version of Myth and it now works... must be something in their code. :)
Zondeman

Post by Zondeman »

In can't think up any reason that it's a problem caused by Mythtv. It must be SDL. Was SDL updated with the newer Mythtv?
SpikeyGG

Post by SpikeyGG »

Zondeman wrote:In can't think up any reason that it's a problem caused by Mythtv. It must be SDL. Was SDL updated with the newer Mythtv?
Not that I know of, now that I'm thinking more about it... I disabled the joystick menu on the new compile as well. I think that's what did it. Since ZSnes and Myth aren't both trying to use the joystick it gets detected correctly.

I should go back and recompile the *new* version with joystick menu enabled to see if it's the code or the configure switch, to prove it out, but I'm afraid that I'll break it again. :)

-Greg