AutoSync, or Sync feature in netplay? Secret of Evermore

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

chipdip

AutoSync, or Sync feature in netplay? Secret of Evermore

Post by chipdip »

Hi,

been desperately trying to find some sort of solution with the hacked secret of evermore 2-player ROM.

I realize that the 2-player mode is a hack, and therefore that is probably why netplay doesn't work right with it, but I still have a couple questions concerning desyncing..

1st question -- My friend and I tried a couple of other games, one being Jurassic Park 2 which is a side-scrolling shooter game, where your guns' bullets always do the same amount of 'HP damage' to enemies (i.e. it's not a random damage number, like in an RPG.) This game stayed in sync 90% of the time and only de-synced every 2-3 minutes or so. Then, we tried an action-RPG, Seiken Densetsu 3/Secret of Mana 2. We hadn't gotten to the part where the 2nd party member joins yet, but my friend was watching me play for a few minutes. I killed a couple of foxes or something, and he said that one of them dropped a treasure chest, but it didn't drop one on my screen... Then I asked him how much damage I was doing to enemies after each hit, and we compared, they were slightly different. I'd do 13 dmg on my screen, but 11 on his, etc. This tells me that the ROMs are basically acting locally, and whenever something random happens, its actually DIFFERENT on the client and server, because in the game, its programmed to be random. (i.e. I could do 10 to 16 damage per hit randomly, or for example, 10% chance of a monster to drop a chest, etc) Is this true then..? any game with random variables will never be properly synced to the client? cus the JP2 game where the guns don't do random damage, was fine.. :(

2nd question -- is there any type of "Sync client to server" command, OTHER than going to menu -> save state, menu -> load state? If we're going to have to re-sync every 10 seconds for Secret of Evermore, it's too much of a hassle to save and load.. even if I bind save & load to hotkeys. Still takes about 4 sec to save and 4 sec to load, (think of having to do that, every 10 seconds)

3rd question -- would it be in any way possible to have the emulator "auto-synchronize" the client to the server, every so often? Maybe "autosync every X seconds" where X is something that I could input?

thanks for any clarification or advice :)