Cannot connect outside of local IP, ports forwarded

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

alpha21

Cannot connect outside of local IP, ports forwarded

Post by alpha21 »

Okay, I was trying to netplay with a friend, when we had trouble connecting with each other. My friend had to go so I was messing around with my laptop and desktop trying to get it working.

We are both using ZSNES 1.36:

1. Ports are forwarded (7845) on both TCP and UDP to my laptop (which I primarily play on). I went to some port checker websites to see that they are indeed visible.
2. Firewalls are disabled (Software, windows and router's)
3. UDP connections do nothing
4. TCP/IP connections result in a "Error: Cannot Connect" and "Connection to Server: Failed"
5. When I make a server, only my local IP is shown as my IP.
6. I can connect to my desktop using local IPs, but not using the public IP (even after port forwarding)

I have restarted my router and systems multiple times.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

IPs in the 192.168.x.x range can't be connected to from the outside world.. only on local LANs.

You need to find the actual IP you are connected to using websites that tell you your IP.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
alpha21

Post by alpha21 »

Yes, it tells me a local IP, but I use my public IP to connect. The Public IP does not work for myself under the same network, or anyone else under different networks.

Upgraded Status:
Not it says "Client is Found" when my friend connects but nothing afterwards, but it still says Connection Failed on his end.
fish

Post by fish »

i have the same problem. a few days ago everything works fine, but since three days nothing work at all. i tried several versions of zsnes, but it does not connect .. :roll:
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

All I can say is that you need to make sure your opponent's connection is set up properly as well.

It is a two way thing anyways.

The alternative option is making sure that both comps are outside of the DMZ.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...