How to hack while using Netplay for ZSNES (THE GUIDE)

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

crazi

How to hack while using Netplay for ZSNES (THE GUIDE)

Post by crazi »

Greetings Everyone,

I don't know if this is the correct place for me to put this information, but I was mighty frustrated at night. As you may know, when using NETPLAY with ZSNES, the internal cheat program is disabled while NETPLAY is activated. However, my friend and I both agreed that cheats were required to attempt to beat Seiken Densetsu 3 in under 1 year due to our hectic schedules.

As I present to you, a short inspirational guide about how this was achieved with several methods:

1.) Save Game Modification (Self Explanatory) You can download save game editors for roms such as SD3. My friend found such a save game editor and we were at level 18 in no time. However, this was found later in the process as I was developing the "Fun" method.

2.) Applying the hacks on a single player, then saving the state and playing the game through netplay. This means that all cheats that have been applied must be ones that can be saved onto the save game such as Stat modifiers.

3.) My favorite and most time consuming (as finding this one actually was more fun than playing the game after a while):

Using Cheat Engine v 5.3!

This program is a memory editor program that can be used to modify ZSNES while it is running. Of course, I do not condone any type of cheating to provide you with an advantage over others unless both parties have agreed upon. Before explaining this process, I will point out a few discoveries I have learned:

A.) Cheating on your side of the screen, DOES NOT translate onto their screen. As far as they are concerned, the only thing they are receiving from your computer is key input commands. If you have god mode and they do not have god mode activated, well, you are dead on their screen and you will have completely conflicting views of the screen.

B.) Both parties will have to be using the same cheats at the same time for any of the cheats to work (such as God Mode) due to the above explanation. The netplay only sends key input commands. There is no actual transfer of information relating to any of the game play information such as health or stats.

C.) It will be time consuming, but really funny when you get the cheats working. This will allow you to cheat specifically in such a manor to not disrupt game play as badly as you would have intended.

Now to be honest, I don't know anything about computers. But I just screwed around with this cheat engine program enough to get this working.

I will post my results below! If you need to figure out how to actually use cheat engine to cheat, then that is up to you to figure the knowledge out. There are plenty of tutorials online to learn how to use the program. Only took me about 2 hours to figure it out.

Unfortunately, since ROMS may vary in different sizes, these cheats may not work on your version of SD3. But if they do, it's freaking sweet!

And make sure you get a good night sleep before freezing those values

For the infinite item, once you freeze the value, any item you put into the 5th slot will have 9. So be careful about putting any quest items into the 5th slot. You can check what position your item slot is in by going to the storage screen.

There are PLENTY of more cheats you can develop, but I am just letting you know what is possible.

DESCRIPTION | ADDRESS | TYPE | VALUE

GOD MODE PLAYER 1 | 0070DAC2 | 2 Bytes | (Leave as Original)
GOD MODE PLAYER 2 | 0070DDC2 | 2 Bytes | (Leave as Original)
GOD MODE PLAYER 3 | 0070E0C2 | 2 Bytes | (Leave as Original)
INFINITE MP PLAYER 2 | 0070DDC4 | 2 Bytes | (Leave as Original)
INFINITE MP PLAYER 3 | 0070E0C4 | 2 Bytes | (Leave as Original)
INFINITE 5th Item Slot | 006F1BC7 | BYTE | 9

Hopefully I didn't break any ToS with this guide. I just felt like sharing this after a sleepless night of exploration! If a guide to show how to figure out the cheats is needed, please leave a response.

If you are wondering why anyone would want to cheat in this manor, my friend and I have decided to use only the infinite items while we play. This will prevent us from taking a time consuming trip to the item shop which neither of us are very excited about. At the same time, it is not as blatant of a cheat as God Mode or something of that nature although it would provide the same results in a more hindering manor. Yes, we are dirty cheaters, but no one is getting hurt. =P

-crazi
crazi

Post by crazi »

I just made a stand alone trainer with a few cheats for SD3 for personal use. If anyone wants a copy, i'll be happy to post it up also. If they allow, exe files that is.