Problem with UDP.. NEITHER OF US HAVE ROUTERS!

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

chechen

Problem with UDP.. NEITHER OF US HAVE ROUTERS!

Post by chechen »

Hello.. I am trying to play with a friend of mine. I realize that ZSNES has some issues with netplay but I feel like we're missing something simple here.

I am directly connected to my cable modem.. and so is she.

She's using an ISP called PRIMUS in canada.. which I have never heard of..

I had her enter 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 to see if maybe her cable modem was doubling as a router or something strange...

anyway.. when she connects to me via UDP.. i see "client connected" but then nothing happens. I'm sure this means the problem is on her side.

ZSNES lists her IP as 192.168.1.64 which is a private IP address... right? shouldnt it be a public address if shes directly connected to her cable modem?

please help =( TCP works, but its horrible...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Even if you don't have a router (which I really doubt that's the case, it would be an internal LAN of sorts), the IPs you have mentioned are all private thus cannot be connected by the outside world.

I suggest you goto http://www.whatsmyip.com to determine what your actual IP is.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
chechen

Post by chechen »

she had one of those all in one modem/routers. her port need to be opened.. works now =)

thanks for the help
isamu
Hazed

Post by isamu »

what is the actual difference between UDP and TCP? My firend and I can play using TCP no prpblem...but when selecting UDP it just hangs on "Client Found" while his says "Connectiong to server". Is there any benefit whatsoever to using UDP over TCP?
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
isamu
Hazed

Post by isamu »

creaothceann wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Datag ... CP_and_UDP

Slow connections are bad in either case... not much that can be done in that case.
Very interesting Thanks for sharing those links. In any case using TCP between my friend and I, we experienced absolutely no lag or disconnects last night during our 2hr play session of Donkey kong country.

With that being said, he *IS* only about 10 or so miles away from me and we both are on a 6mb broadband connection(I"m cable he's DSL). So I guess I'm fortunate that way :)

Anyway keep up the good work guys. We love ZSNES and can't wait til the rewrite of the core/netcode comes out. :)
Zeta

Post by Zeta »

isamu wrote:what is the actual difference between UDP and TCP? My firend and I can play using TCP no prpblem...but when selecting UDP it just hangs on "Client Found" while his says "Connectiong to server". Is there any benefit whatsoever to using UDP over TCP?
I am in the same case.

I am in Australia using ADSL with router, my friend in the US using a router with unknown connection (he doesn't know, but he said that there is no router config page and he doesn't need to type in ISP acc name and pw so maybe its cable).

No firewall on both computers.

I redirect the port to my computer and host with TCP, we connected but experience heavy freeze.

So we want to try UDP, but we stay at that "Client Found" and "Connecting to server" scene.

My guess is the packet cannot be redirected to his computer at his router and therefore we couldn't make a connection with UDP?

Is there anyway to solve this?
But since we are freezing so badly in TCP, maybe even if we can use UDP, it won't be playable?

Thanks