ZSNES crashes when trying to netplay

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

P.P.A.

ZSNES crashes when trying to netplay

Post by P.P.A. »

As soon as I click on the NETPLAY -> INTERNET option, ZSNES closes instantly. I am using 1.42 and it doesn't give me an error messages or anything like that, the program simply vanishes. Discovering and downloading 1.42n didn't help either, except now I at least get the usual Windows "*program* has encountered an error and must close" popup. (I'm running XP by the way, if it helps.)
The FAQs did not seem to cover this problem, thus I am posting it here. What could be the reason for this strange behaviour?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I suggest you provide more relevant info such as CPU, and which version of XP are you using (32-bit or 64-bit)?
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

CPU is 2.53GHz, 510MB RAM memory...
I don't even know about XP, but seeing as this thing is quite a few years old I guess it isn't anything new and flashy like 64-bit.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

P.P.A. wrote:CPU is 2.53GHz, 510MB RAM memory...
I don't even know about XP, but seeing as this thing is quite a few years old I guess it isn't anything new and flashy like 64-bit.
2.53GHz what? That's like telling someone when that ask "what kind of car do you have?" and you answer "blue."

grab CPU-Z and tell us what it sees, with a screenshot if necessary if you don't know what you're looking at.

as for what version of windows, go to the system control panel. if the version number starts with 5.1 it's 32-bit, and if it starts with 5.2 it's 64-bit. also, tell us what service pack is installed.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

odditude wrote: 2.53GHz what? That's like telling someone when that ask "what kind of car do you have?" and you answer "blue."
I'm more familiar with consoles, sorry.
grab CPU-Z and tell us what it sees, with a screenshot if necessary if you don't know what you're looking at.
as for what version of windows, go to the system control panel. if the version number starts with 5.1 it's 32-bit, and if it starts with 5.2 it's 64-bit. also, tell us what service pack is installed.
Ah, it's 5.1 and thus 32-bit then. I apologise for all the inconvenience.
odditude

Post by odditude »

P.P.A. wrote:I apologise for all the inconvenience.
no worries and no need to apologize. hell, you made it through the miserable grammar spouted out by a sick, half-asleep me.

anyways, nothing terribly fancy there. you failed to mention what service pack you have installed, though. if there wasn't one listed in the same location as the version number, you need to learn what windows update is and become friends with it.

as for what's causing the issue, it's on the unlikely side that it's going to be driver-related... network drivers tend to nuke your connection and/or cause BSODs when they are the source of the issue, and you haven't reported either of those occuring. video drivers shouldn't cause an issue when invoking netplay, unless the gui code does something truly truly bizarre there (grin?). ditto for sound drivers.

biggest likelihoods imho are av/fw software getting cranky followed distantly by bad memory/mobo.

please post service pack info, along with any antivirus, antispyware, and/or firewall software you're using. if this is a name-brand computer, make and model would be nice. if it's a dell, provide the service tag; if it's a gateway, the serial number (i can look up the original configuration of your machine with that on their respective websites).

fwiw, a prescott celeron D with 2mb reserved most likely means i845g for video, although it could be SiS or VIA onboard crap as well. very low chance of ATI, too. i'd rather know for sure, though.
P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

please post service pack info, along with any antivirus, antispyware, and/or firewall software you're using. if this is a name-brand computer, make and model would be nice. if it's a dell, provide the service tag; if it's a gateway, the serial number (i can look up the original configuration of your machine with that on their respective websites).
That would be Service Pack 2 then, Norton as the sole antivirus software (I ensured however that it allowed ZSNES to connect however it pleases, not that that changed anything though), and yeah, it's a Dell: 338-J91J.
odditude

Post by odditude »

graphics are (surprisingly) i865G. network is also onboard intel.

try disabling norton and see if the results are any different.