netplay option is unclickable

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

masterrob213

netplay option is unclickable

Post by masterrob213 »

i clicked internet and clicked netplay nothing happens i have ubuntu 9.04 what should i do?
paulguy
Zealot

Re: netplay option is unclickable

Post by paulguy »

Well, you can dig up 1.42n, which has it and I believe compiles in more or less modern compilers. I believe official 1.42 was the first to lack netplay, or it could've been one before that and the rest after that do well. 1.36 was the last official one to have it, I believe, but I couldn't get that to compile.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

paulguy wrote:Well, you can dig up 1.42n, which has it and I believe compiles in more or less modern compilers. I believe official 1.42 was the first to lack netplay, or it could've been one before that and the rest after that do well. 1.36 was the last official one to have it, I believe, but I couldn't get that to compile.
Netplay was axed with ZSNES 1.5x IIRC. ZSNES 1.42 still has it.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Oh ok. I suppose the N version was just trying to get it to compile on newer stuff. I remember trying to compile some older version and having difficulties.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

If I recall, 1.42n was a modified version to make netplay not suck quite as badly as stock 1.42.

That's IF I recall.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

1.42n netplay is not as good as 1.42 netplay as it crashes more than drunk drivers. If you really want a good version of zsnes I would recommend zsnes 1.337 as 1.51 and 1.50 don't have netplay. Although everybody should know that those two don't work. A friend of mine has made unofficial 3 plus players zsnes good for sport players or bomberman fans somewhere in this forum.
masterrob213

Post by masterrob213 »

thats all good but one question where can i get zsnes 3.667 or what its called for ubuntu Linux 9.04 :?:
Last edited by masterrob213 on Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
masterrob213

Post by masterrob213 »

i meant zsnes 1.337
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

You can edit your posts so you can make the change without making another post to correct it.

Also, the source code is available, if you want to try to get it to compile. Just go to http://zsnes.com/ and it'll be there somewhere. I highly doubt anyone's distributed binaries for such an old Linux version of zsnes. To be quite honest, you might have an easier time running the Windows version in Wine.
masterrob213

Post by masterrob213 »

i,ve heard of wine but i have no idea what it is and how to use it can anyone tell me how to run the windows version of zsnes in wine???
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Well, in Ubuntu I imagine they have it all set up to be very simple, in that you just need to go to synaptic and install it, and .exe files will probably just be associated with it automatically. In which case you can just throw zsnes in your home directory and load it from the file manager, like you can do in Windows, or possibly even make a launcher on the desktop.

If they're not automatically associated, this possibly isn't hard to do but I don't use ... whatever file manager gnome has. Google probably has that information. Hell, there's even in-kernel support for stuff like this, with binfmt_misc, but I'd just use gnome's file associations in your position.

Basically, do a little bit of research, it'll take about 10 minutes to find the information and get things moving in the right direction.