NETPLAY IS BROKEN - Complete Re-write Upcoming

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

NETPLAY IS BROKEN - Complete Re-write Upcoming

Post by pagefault »

As of 1.40 it's broken, use at your own risk. I have had no problems playing some games over a LAN but your milage may vary. Please use 1.36 until the problem is solved. Check back here for further updates.

-edit- Updated for better clarification.

Update: Try using 1.42n. It can be downloaded here: http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=448
Last edited by pagefault on Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
FistOfFury
Hazed

LOL................................

Post by FistOfFury »

Which release are you talking about? 1.40, or 1.41?
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

Logically, he's talking about 1.40+.
Everything I say is a lie.
FistOfFury
Hazed

Post by FistOfFury »

If that's the case, then this is the part where I say to everyone:

I told you so.
duffjr
Rookie

Post by duffjr »

i guess i'm a survivor.
you're born, you die, and you get to fuck around in between.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

If you have netplay working fine I would really be interested in what game you are playing and what settings you are using. Also your system specs and internet connection would be useful. Plus if you are using UDP or TCP mode. I am just trying to get an idea of what works and what doesn't. I had no problems playing in a LAN environment with Super Mario World in both UDP and TCP mode.
duffjr
Rookie

Post by duffjr »

mario kart...1.36-1.42 but i had desync problems when i reset the game in 1.4x.

2.6 ghz p4
256mb ram
geforce fx 5200
windows xp sp2
3mbps cable, no router, 300k upload, stable thoroughput
you're born, you die, and you get to fuck around in between.
Soga

Post by Soga »

Netplay seems to work for me, with 1.40.

Game: Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+Eng[1].01_Various]
Mode: TCP
Resolution: 800x600 DR Full and Windowed

Specs: 2.6 GHz p4
512MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Windows XP SP2
100mbps cable, no router.

It occasionally desyncs, but only if one of the players tab out of ZSNES. This is easily fixed by simply loading a save point (F4).

Everything seems to be in working order. In fact... it seems to me that netplay has been very much improved. With v1.36, it wouldn't load Seiken Densetsu 3 half the time.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

Soga wrote:...This is easily fixed by simply loading a save point (F4).
For many, this feature has never worked reliably, if at all.
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

between my sister and I, we had no desyncs with Super Kario Kart, but we had tons and tons with SD3 2 days later....

She (client, so the routers would know to port foward) is running a:
2.4Ghz P4
512 DDR (not sure what speed) RAM
Saphirre Radeon 9200 128Meg
onboard sound
XP SP2
Intel motherboard w/ 845PE chipset
1500/385 ADSL through 802.911B

My machine is very similar, only it runs Celeron 3.02 with an Audigy and 2k SP4...

The save state thing behaves really odd... Once I saved and restored, and it sent the OLD one (that was there before we netplayed) to her, and restored the NEW one to me, another time it was the other way around. We are gonna try 1.36 next week.

My internet connection is my school's, and we use TCP/IP. I ping her at about 60ms, but have a 3% packet loss...
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
Soga

Post by Soga »

UPDATE: Metal Warriors and BattleToads && Double Dragons both work over netplay for me, tested with two different people (other than me). I'm getting the feeling Netplay isn't broken, not in that sense of the word, at least...

Perhaps, this calls for close scrutiny of the netcode?
FistOfFury
Hazed

Post by FistOfFury »

um, shouldn't the people that experience bad netplay also be reporting in this thread? Why just the people it works for?
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

FistOfFury wrote:um, shouldn't the people that experience bad netplay also be reporting in this thread? Why just the people it works for?
So why don't you be the first. You seem to be doing everything but what is asked for.

Did you ever post anything we wanted? Did you test a single test build I made when I wanted to help you?
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

wanna do net play

Post by Fisher117 »

im trying to conncet to my friends computer for net play but it isnt working. we both have computers with identical specs. and we both use a cable connection for the internet any help would be apreciated. thank you.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

AntoineWG used to have a good guide on netplay anyone know where it went?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Down the drain with the rest of the forum upon last hijack.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

It went here.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

And here, without credit. Scumbags.

http://www.emualliance.com/zsnes/
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

Metatron wrote:And here, without credit. Scumbags.

http://www.emualliance.com/zsnes/
Pricks.
FistOfFury
Hazed

Post by FistOfFury »

Nach wrote:
FistOfFury wrote:um, shouldn't the people that experience bad netplay also be reporting in this thread? Why just the people it works for?
So why don't you be the first. You seem to be doing everything but what is asked for.

Did you ever post anything we wanted? Did you test a single test build I made when I wanted to help you?

I was going to help out by posting my info and stuff, I just haven't had the time man. I've been doing other more important stuff, and was gonna do it later, which is the whole reason why I asked in this thread whether desyncers should post info..................I've already posted in other threads which games weren't working for me, I've used zsnes 1.40 netplay a grand total of twice since it's been out, and I still haven't gotten around to 1.42 or any of the new WIP's, or test builds. And the test builds couldn't have come at a worse time, it came out when I was busy with other stuff. Not like I can test them out now anyway, no one on my buddy list seems to have the patience to want to sit down and test different versions and games with me (or even message me anymore lol), no one wants to help me the countless times I've asked on the various incarnations of this forum for anyone to PM me if they were intereseted in helping me....and I can't find anyone else because zbattle is down. Gimme a break
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Sure, I'll give you a break. Stop by the dev channel, and you'll find people willing to do tests on various versions.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by MagickalSupaKaK »

Yeah I've just gotten onto the whole netplay thing , still kinda trying to find ways around the whole 2 player only deal. But afraid I've been outta the whole emulator deal for too long. Anyways I'm running the newest version , and I haven't had much of a problem playing everything from Super Puyo-Puyo -2- Mario Kart -2- Secret of Mana...Granted the save states don't work so you have to use old fashion saves....Also the identical versions of every game were used....
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

MagickalSupaKaK wrote:Yeah I've just gotten onto the whole netplay thing , still kinda trying to find ways around the whole 2 player only deal. But afraid I've been outta the whole emulator deal for too long. Anyways I'm running the newest version , and I haven't had much of a problem playing everything from Super Puyo-Puyo -2- Mario Kart -2- Secret of Mana...Granted the save states don't work so you have to use old fashion saves....Also the identical versions of every game were used....
Using Savestates during Netplay is not recommended.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
FrigidFox

Post by FrigidFox »

Yea I couldnt get Netplay to work I was using 1.36 and my friend had just downloaded 1.41 I thought it was because we had different versions so I upgraded.... would have been nice to have a warning or something about this in the help/FAQ/Readme...
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Xero2nuthin/ToSSimpleSig.jpg[/img]
FrigidFox

Post by FrigidFox »

Ok even in 1.36 we cant connect in UDP it just sits IDLE for 15 minutes not doing anything on both sides and on TCP it says COuld Not connect to other side

we both have linksys routers BEFSR41 with port 7845 forwarded on both of our filters he has his Windows Firewall disabled and I dont have a software firewall it doesnt make sense, I used to play with my other friend Tash online Sun Set Riders alot why wont it work now?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Xero2nuthin/ToSSimpleSig.jpg[/img]