NETPLAY IS BROKEN - Complete Re-write Upcoming

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

aminalshmu
Rookie

Post by aminalshmu »

i get terrible desync with 1.42n, UDP or TCP, but not 1.42, either protocol.

i'm running linux and my girlfriend is running XP. if i can provide any other info, i would be glad to help get this issue resolved :D
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

aminalshmu wrote:i get terrible desync with 1.42n, UDP or TCP, but not 1.42, either protocol.

i'm running linux and my girlfriend is running XP
Both of you must run the same version. Is that the case ? (just asking)
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
aminalshmu
Rookie

Post by aminalshmu »

yes. we have had no problems with desync running 1.36 or 1.42, but when we tried switching to the new netplay build to support games that had problems in 1.42, games are anything but playable.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Did you try games that worked in 1.42 too ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
aminalshmu
Rookie

Post by aminalshmu »

okay, this is strange.

we played top gear 2 last night for maybe 45 minutes with no desync at all, when it was previously completely unplayable. i thought this may have been due to us talking over skype while we were trying to play it the first time, and it was causing net congestion, but this is not a problem in 1.42 as we do this all the time - with other games, i mean, since top gear 2 does not work in 1.42.

however, secret of mana and uniracers, which both work flawlessly over netplay in 1.42, refuse to load in 1.42n and just freeze the emulator. no messages in the console; it just stops responding on both machines, regardless of protocol.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

aminalshmu wrote:however, secret of mana and uniracers, which both work flawlessly over netplay in 1.42, refuse to load in 1.42n and just freeze the emulator. no messages in the console; it just stops responding on both machines, regardless of protocol.
Please retry these games after setting the save setting to NONE (not 'local' nor 'remote') in the chat window.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

The Kirby

Post by The Kirby »

I'm using the official release of 1.42, and I have very few problems with it when I play it over our LAN. Except for the following:

Secret of Evermore dysyncs so much that it's practically unplayable. It seems to do this most often when enemies or moving people are in the area. Its been doing this as far back as 1.36.

Tetris Attack dysyncs sometimes during gameplay, but it's fairely rare.

Kirby's Dream Land 3 dysyncs when you reset, I think. Not sure about this, but I noticed that all our dysyncs started after a game reset.

I've tried playing a LAN game using 1.42n, but ZSNES always freezes when we load a game or change the latency. Odd.
aminalshmu
Rookie

Post by aminalshmu »

grinvader wrote:Please retry these games after setting the save setting to NONE (not 'local' nor 'remote') in the chat window.
kirby, try this... the save files from 1.42 are obviously not compatible with the 1.42n based on newer WIP's. (at least not in netplay - they load in single player just fine...)

or am i misinterpreting this and the way zsnes 1.42/1.42n handle saves is the same? is it just a problem with 1.42n loading save data period? hmm... experiment time.
The Kirby

Post by The Kirby »

Same error. When I load a game or change the latency, the screen goes black and it says on the ZSNES 1.42n window "NO MOVIE PROCESSING." Any ideas?
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Oh grr, if that means what I think it means...
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by grinvader »

Nach wrote:Oh grr, if that means what I think it means...
Hahaha, the old movie stuff is coming back with a vengeance...
皆黙って俺について来い!!

NightingaleNT
Rookie

Post by NightingaleNT »

So, with 1.42n...sounds nice...does it support quicksaving over the Internet? That never worked for me with 1.42...on a LAN, sometimes, but not over the atlantic ocean.
aminalshmu
Rookie

Post by aminalshmu »

quicksaves still freeze ZSNES 1.42n for me... and setting save data to "none" allows SoM to load, but as we are unable to continue our game, it doesn't really help... back to 1.42 for now.
NightingaleNT
Rookie

Post by NightingaleNT »

yeah, quicksave didn't work....damn it >_< The one feature I wanted....oh well. *roots for developers to get it working*
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

AFAIK, using savestates is something that's frown upon during netplay, usually causing desyncs. So I don't really think that's a feature that's on the priority list.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Well, there's no reason not to make it work in the new netplay code.

We would probably compress the states so that transfers won't be long...
皆黙って俺について来い!!

creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

grinvader wrote:We would probably compress the states so that transfers won't be long...
JMA? :wink:
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

creaothceann wrote:
grinvader wrote:We would probably compress the states so that transfers won't be long...
JMA? :wink:
Nah, plain GZ. JMA is slower on compression for files as small as these.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

NightingaleNT
Rookie

Post by NightingaleNT »

Doesn't always even transfer for me...sometimes it just like auto presses escape, taking me to the chat menu, and when I try to go back it freezes....;_;

*roots for developers to fix this*
MonkeyforaHead
Rookie

Post by MonkeyforaHead »

Weird thing, when I try to use savestates during netplay (1.42), they transfer just fine and don't freeze Zsnes or anything, but they don't load on my end. They load on the other player's end though, and thus cause about the most incredible de-synching imaginable. :roll: Fun.
For great justice.
Cheesy_Pie

Post by Cheesy_Pie »

Can't help but notice this, but is this still a persisting problem? My friends and I never experienced too many problems on Netplay. It desyncs here and there, but nothing a state reload can't fix. Other than that, it wokrs perfectly fine, both on UDP AND TCP/IP (and I have to use the latter with another friend with dial-up because we can't get the UDP to work with her for some reason)

Just about all the games work (with exception to all the Super Bomberman games, which I find strange. When we bring up the latency it works fine, but then my controls are lagged by a second)

Is there any kind of system information I should post to help on this situation?

I just found it odd that after literally months of no problems with Netplay, I get on here and find out "Netplay is dead" after noticing the latest WIP has no netplay.

And yes, we're using version 1.42
Hyos
Regular

Post by Hyos »

I believe Netplay is dead in the WIP versions.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

You can always download the 1.42n, which is based off 2/12/2k5 though...
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Hyos
Regular

Post by Hyos »

I was referring to the post above mine, which mentioned Netplay works in Not-WIP. And then ... I overlooked the last sentence. My bad.

What I should have said:

Netplay is dead because an overhaul was necessary. The devs know the details of what has to be done and tested. While it is being worked on, I believe the devs will ask for specific info themselves.
RyomaEchizen

Post by RyomaEchizen »

ok im not very good with this emulator stuff but this is what happened and i need some help

first i was on 56k and my friend was on wireless on v1.42 and it worked fine except that i probably lagged from my 56k

then i get on my wireless and my friend was on his wireless and all of the sudden it didnt work when we use udp connection it just sat there and when we used tcp/ip connection it said Could Not Connect To The Other side or something like that. We checked our ip's and they were right but for some reason it didnt work.

Could someone please help me?