I have a serious Netplay problem

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Glenn Owens

I have a serious Netplay problem

Post by Glenn Owens »

Hello. My problem and description of settings are as follows.

My friend and I want to play ZSNES over the Internet. Whenever I try to connect with TCP, I get a message that I cannot connect. Whenever I try to connect with UDP, her computer says Client Found, yet nothing happens on my side.

On my side, I am using an Earthlink Dialup connection with absolutely no firewall. I am trying to play on the computer that is directly connected to the Internet.

My friend has DSL, and her firewall has Port 600 open for UDP and TCP.

We are both using Version 1.36 (5/8/04 release).

The problem persists even when her firewall is disabled.

We have checked the details such as both of us entering Port 600, and both of us are checking the UDP option.

The last time we have successfully connected and played was last Winter. We were using the same configuration, same version, same method of connecting as we did when the connection would work, yet now we are having no luck.

Other details are that absolutely no one is able to connect to me when I am server with any kind of game. Even professionally made games.

Is there anything at all we could try? We've been doing everything we can think of for a week now. It used to work, why isn't it working now?
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Glenn Owens wrote:We are both using Version 1.36 (5/8/04 release).
Upgrade to the latest official version of ZSnes, which is v1.42, or use a Feburary 2005 WIP, and tell me if you have problems then.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Glenn Owens

Post by Glenn Owens »

My friend and I downloaded 1.42 (official release, not a WIP), and we are not getting any better results.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Sone suggestions thanks to the ZSnes board search feature:
1. If using UDP, you two need to forward your ports. See port Forwarding 101 v2 sticky.
2. Your ISP's must support UDP. Contact your ISP to see.
AntoineWG wrote:Your friend shouldn't be forwarding port 0 thru 7845 or 0 thru 80. Change that to 7845 thru 7845 and 80 thru 80. The overlapping port ranges or starting with port 0 could be throwing it off.
AntoineWG also wrote:Have you tried both TCP and UDP? This setting needs to match on both ends.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Monica
Rookie

Post by Monica »

Hello, I'm the friend Glenn is trying to connect to. My dad is the network admin and assures me that everything is exactly as it was last Winter. However, I have started using my dad's computer and he got himself a new one but he copied everything over.

Since then, my dad and I both got XP SP2, but Glenn has not. I'm thinking now maybe Windows Firewall is blocking him. I did allow zsnesw in the firewall but do I also need to open port 600 there? I dunno why my dad chose 600 but it did work last year on my old computer...

Thanks. :)
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Yes, ZSNES needs unrestricted access to that port or the firewall needs to be completely disabled.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Monica
Rookie

Post by Monica »

Scratch the Windows FW theory. ZSNES does the same thing if it's completely disabled. (not just off, mind you but Unmonitered) Infact, it does the same thing if my dad disables the whole router firewall. Glenn's and my computers can't communicate through ZSNES. I get "Found Client" and Glenn gets nothing so we can't get into the game setup screen.

I use BellSouth FastAccess DSL Extreme package and it's equipment and my dad says that port 600 is completely open to my computer, and he made sure ZSNESW was directed at my new computer and not the old one...:( Before this I've not had any problems with Netplay, ever.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Have you tried using TCP with Glen (on dialup) acting as the server and any firewalls on his computer disabled (client shouldn't matter)? Dialup ISPs sometimes block UDP traffic.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Monica
Rookie

Post by Monica »

We've tried TCP on each other as hosts and that's worse because neither of us gets even a Found Client message. Glenn said in his first post that he's never been able to host any games, ZSNES or otherwise.

Also for the record, we've tried both my IPs and only one gets the Found Client message so we stuck with that one (the Internet IP not the computer's)
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

Maybe his ISP is now blocking the ports? If his ISp is blocking them, you'll have to search for an unblocked one and use that.

Its just a shot in the dark, though.
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
Glenn Owens

Post by Glenn Owens »

Monica and I have tried connecting with a 3rd friend. All of his settings are good, but none of us are having any luck at all.
Monica
Rookie

Post by Monica »

We fixed it! Glenn had his Internet Connection Firewall on the whole time and didn't know it, now it's working! :) But we have major desync in FF3...
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Great :) Glad you fixed it. Just remember: If you're planning to use a firewall, make sure you open and forward the port (s) you plan on using.
NSRT here.
Monica
Rookie

Post by Monica »

Thank you. For some strange reason, we can't connect at all through TCP and we used to use it to keep from desyncing. Is there any way to help UDP stop desyncing?
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

When you forwarded port 600, did you forward both TCP and UDP or just UDP?
Monica
Rookie

Post by Monica »

My dad insisted that port 600 was Completely Open to me. I think both are enabled.