Lag/Connectability Issues part 5000000000008

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Kevin_Arnold

Lag/Connectability Issues part 5000000000008

Post by Kevin_Arnold »

A friend and I are having difficulty getting ZSNES to work over the internet with any sort of playability. Yes, I have looked at the faq for it and the posts and seached and all of that, but everyone keeps saying to forward ports and all of that for a router...but we both have personal computers and don't HAVE routers, do we? Since I have cable internet, doesn't the router my computer/internet uses exist somewhere in Cox's building?

We are only able to connect when we uncheck the UDP option (which I have no idea what it means) and then it is incredibly, incredibly slow. We are using the current version, and have tried 1.36, but then we cannot connect at all.

I do not have a firewall and his is set to allow zsnes (though he did not go and manually allow ports--does he set those ports as udp or tcp?).

His specs:
256 Ram
1.40 ghz

Mine:
2 gig ram
3 gh
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Both UDP and TCP would need to be forwarded.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

To answer your question, yes, Cox does have routers that act as the gateway between your cablemodem and the internet at large, but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about a box that sits between your cablemodem and your PC. They're a must if you have a wireless connection or if you have more than one PC able to access the internet at a time.

And to answer your second question, yes, he has to manually forward UDP port 7845 for UDP to work.

And do yourself a favor and get a firewall. Software firewalls work but may slow your computer down. Hardware routers are better. The internet is not a safe place and a windows PC without protection is just asking for trouble, no matter how little time it's online without protection.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]