Help! Please help a newbie!

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

hydroswirl

Help! Please help a newbie!

Post by hydroswirl »

So I just got ZSnes and I want to try online. I put a name, get a 4 digit code thingy, then it says searching for client, and I get one. Then I'm lost, I went to game, and loaded one, but nothing ahppens. It was Super Mario Kart, I tried it ssveeral times, but when I go backto game, there's nothing, as if I have to restart. Does anyone know what I'm doing wwrong? Please help! :(
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

If you want to play online, you need *someone* to play with. As in, get a friend with zsnes, give him your IP or make him give you his IP so you could be able to connect.

If you have a firewall or router, you will need to configure that too. For help on configurating them, go to the netplay forum.

I don't understand your second part *one* bit. Please explain yourself. Also, take your time and read the documentation, it has a lot of information you should know.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
hydroswirl

Post by hydroswirl »

What I meant was that, I make a server, my friend searches and puts in my IP and wtv, then it says found client. I tell him to load SMK, I load SMK, then nothing ahppens. What do I do?
hydroswirl

Post by hydroswirl »

Were trying seaching eachothers IPs now, and it just says "connecting to server" and nothing happens....
Mike
ZBoard Prince

Post by Mike »

When your friend loads Super Mario Kart, does it says "rom not found at remote" If so you guys have to make sure both of you have the same exact rom.
**Prince of the Zsnes board**
*Smash Champ*
hydroswirl

Post by hydroswirl »

It syas nothing. We didn't even connect. We tried loading a game before we connected...and nothing happened. Are we supposed to just connect using eachother's IPs or is one of us supposed to create a server and the other connect.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

hydroswirl, Mike was asking about the attempt to like Super Mario Kart under your original post.

You are supposed to have one person host, and the other person connect. Ideally, the person with the faster comp/connect should be hosting (hopefully neither of you are running on 56k).

When loading a ROM, you have to make sure you have the SAME EXACT COPY (best way of making sure of this is sending the other person the copy of the ROM to be used).

Also, you probably do not want to check "Use UDP instead of TCP" because TCP is more reliable over the internet. If this were done on a LAN, then it probably won't matter.

One other thing.. you have to use the SAME EXACT VERSION OF ZSNES in order for Netplay to work. So if you are using 1.42, your friend has to use 1.42. If you are using the post 1.42 netplay version, your friend has to use the post 1.42 netplay version.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

This needs to be moved to the netplay forum.. but even so.. the documentation does not cover the simple fact that both client and server MUST USE THE SAME VERSION OF ZSNES to work properly.

A couple of questions to hydroswirl:
Are you or your friend behind a router/firewall?
What are both your connection to the Internet? (56k/DSL/cable, whatever?)
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
hydroswirl

Post by hydroswirl »

Ok, we tried the one person amkes a server and the other tries to connect like 5 times. Whoever creates the server like in 5 seconds, it says "Found client" while the other keeps saying "connecting to server" and even if it says "found client" when I try to upload SMK, nothing happens.

BTW, we re using the same rom and emu...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

hydroswirl wrote:BTW, we re using the same rom and emu...
Well, you could be using the same emulator.. but not the same version.. and version does matter.
Ok, we tried the one person amkes a server and the other tries to connect like 5 times. Whoever creates the server like in 5 seconds, it says "Found client" while the other keeps saying "connecting to server" and even if it says "found client" when I try to upload SMK, nothing happens.
You don't "upload" the ROM to your friend after you connect. Are you able to communcate with each other within ZSNES after you connect (you both have confirmed it)?
hydroswirl

Post by hydroswirl »

Same version :).

We haven't even connected. It just says connecting to server......forever. While the other person who makes a server immediatly get s "found a client" or something like that, but nothing happens after that....and by upload, I mean we try running the games, but nothing works...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Have you both unchecked the "use UDP instead of TCP" option? Also, what version of ZSNES are you using for this?
hydroswirl

Post by hydroswirl »

THAT WAS THE PROBLEM, WE DIDNT UNCHECK THE BOX! IT WORKS THANK U SO MUCH! ILOVE U!
Mike
ZBoard Prince

Post by Mike »

hydroswirl wrote:THAT WAS THE PROBLEM, WE DIDNT UNCHECK THE BOX! IT WORKS THANK U SO MUCH! ILOVE U!
Um, you kind of well, over reacted. :?

Well he's happy. :| :)
Last edited by Mike on Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
**Prince of the Zsnes board**
*Smash Champ*
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

Mike wrote:
hydroswirl wrote:THAT WAS THE PROBLEM, WE DIDNT UNCHECK THE BOX! IT WORKS THANK U SO MUCH! ILOVE U!
Um, you kind of well, over reacted. :?

Well he's happy. :|
yer a dope, mike.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.