PC & Mac Netplay

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Kampy
Rookie

PC & Mac Netplay

Post by Kampy »

Hi. I've been trying to do netplay with my gf who owns a mac and I of course have a PC. Is there any chance to play (Secret of Mana) together? And if so how to do it ^^" ? We've been trying EVERYTHING - last try was with ZSNES but somehow she cant select Internet on her ZSNES.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Re: PC & Mac Netplay

Post by Agozer »

For the record, Netplay has been removed from the Windows version of ZSNES, and AFAIK Mac version as well.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

IIRC Mac never had it.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Kampy
Rookie

Post by Kampy »

removed? why would they do that? when I try it it still works.
Okay, well even so. Is it possible to connect PC & Mac with Netplay by using an older version or so?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

It wasn't removed because it "worked". It was removed because it was unreliable in a fundamental sense... the coding, the syncing or lack thereof in many cases.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Kampy
Rookie

Post by Kampy »

Hm, strange - they could have left it putting in a notice that it might not work correctly. Why remove it at all? Today Ive played Mariokart and it worked perfectly with no lag either.

but back to my question ^^ what about PC - Mac? Did that ever work anyhow?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Mac never had it... as said before.

The Mac port was made AFTER 1.42 was released. 1.42 was the last netplay version... then the stripping of the netcode occurred.
Kampy
Rookie

Post by Kampy »

That is such a market gap! Okay thanks for telling me although I'm sad now that I will never be able to play with her.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Well, the only realistic solution is if she has an Intel Mac and dual boots Windows... otherwise it's not in the cards.
Kampy
Rookie

Post by Kampy »

Might it be possible to use a Windows Emulator to play ZSNES with netplay?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Well, if you had something like a Virtual Machine like VMWare... you could possibly try it. It might not be perfect or ideal though...
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I believe the Windows version of zsnes runs fine in Wine.

Try this if you don't have it installed: http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Installing

I don't know how well Wine for Mac works compares to Wine for Windows. also, if it's a PPC mac, this probably won't work, or will perform miserably.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Kampy wrote:That is such a market gap! Okay thanks for telling me although I'm sad now that I will never be able to play with her.
Assuming this isn't a long-distance relationship... you could both get together and play on the same computer, the way God, Nolan Bushnell, and Gunpei Yokoi intended.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

I'd say if both are ZSNES users, chances of their relationship being long-distance are pretty good ;P
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Years ago.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

LOL. I have yet to see what a mac looks like upfront. Windows beats Mac by 100%!! Mac Donalds = Fail.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

LOL I R MAKIN A PLATFORM WAR THREAD NECROMANCY!111
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads