Connecting Via Internet

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Centuck

Connecting Via Internet

Post by Centuck »

Umm i have a problem connecting through inernet, i host, and it says client received or whatever, but it doesn't go any further, what am i doing wrong?? or what can i try?
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

Are you using Netplay? Try posting in the Netplay forum next time. Can we get a thread move here please?
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Moved. ;)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
smkdan
Hazed

Post by smkdan »

Something's blocking zsnes's netplay port.

-If you use a router / hub / modem with multiple ports you need to forward port 7845 UDP (and 4000 TCP for zbattle file tranfsers, if you use that by any chance). If you don't know how to do it www.portforward.com has nice instructions for a wide range of models.

-If you use a firewall, disable it or make exceptions to allow zsnes's traffic in the configuration. I'm not sure if XP's firewall makes a difference to this.

-If you use AOL (Dear God...) just know that it has malicious background applications that cannot be closed (like a virus it is) unless you dump the ISP and do a total uninstall / format. The 'firewall' that AOL comes with might affect your performance

-If all else fails you can play with the TCP protocol by unticking the UDP checkbox. Unfortunately, its very poor performance in comparison to UDP.
Centuck

Post by Centuck »

Well i ahve no clue waht any of that means really but yea we tried the tcp, and udp, and never worked for either!
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Centuck wrote:Well i ahve no clue waht any of that means really but yea we tried the tcp, and udp, and never worked for either!
If you don't know what a router is, or if you are behind a firewall or a router. I would suggest you to investigate a bit before continuing asking for help. Most of the netplay problems suffered from users come from not knowing this.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Centuck

Post by Centuck »

Well... i don't have a firewall that has been proven cause i host servers in other games.... soooo but not sure about the router!
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Routers usually act as firewalls too, but we can try to systematically figure this out.

Your phoneline is plugged into your DSL modem. Does the DSL modem connect directly to your PC, or does it go through a second box with a bunch of blinkey lights on it? If so, what is the brand and model number? Do you have more than one computer hooked up to your DSL connection?

Also, if you're trying to use UDP, your client must also forward port 7845 (or whatever port you're using).
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Antoine: sometimes, the DSL modem itself can act as a firewall, and needs ports forwarded.

Mine does.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Centuck

Post by Centuck »

Well the wires run through a black box that has 2 lights on and one that blinks, the two lights on are power/sync. and 10base, and then one taht blinkz is tx/rx ........... so not sure if that is router or not!
legolas558
Rookie

Post by legolas558 »

Centuck wrote:Well the wires run through a black box that has 2 lights on and one that blinks, the two lights on are power/sync. and 10base, and then one taht blinkz is tx/rx ........... so not sure if that is router or not!
:shock: Are you new to this kind of things? I mean blinking lights etc.? Try to understand if the brand is a brand of routers
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Look, thread necromancy is BAD.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.