Can't use UDP?

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Graves

Can't use UDP?

Post by Graves »

Uhm maybe I should start this post off with that I am pretty computer iliterate when it comes to working with routers and firewalls and all that good stuff. Anyway let me explain the situation.

I just got into Netplay last month, it's great! Well it was anyway. With DSL and the game full screened, it played with practically no lag whatsoever even without UDP. But then two weeks ago my parents switched it out for BroadBand (because of some phone bill issues or something i dunno) and ever since, Netplay has been super laggy.

Well, it's playable but there are plenty of skips and pauses that may last up to 30 seconds sometimes! It's pretty bad but I like playing with people so we just try to ignore it, but it's pretty noticable and a lot of mistakes happen mid-game because of it.

Now if I'm understanding right, enabling UDP makes things go faster right? If that is correct then, thank god because this new connection just isn't happening (stuck in a 2 year contract. i can't get my DSL back!).

Problem here is that I can't host a game with UDP on. For some reason if whoever is connecting to me/I, the host, allow UDP, the connection in the status window will simply do nothing despite it saying "Client found". So we end up using TCP/IP instead...

I am using winXP, I don't have a router, and um I think I have Windows firewall on.

What do I need to get UDP to work?

I really don't understand a thing being said in the "Having trouble with Netplay" topic. Please have patience with me, I'm very confused and very clueless -_-
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

To use UDP both sides must not be behind a router, however any side that is behind a router will need to use port fowarding to act as if that particular port is not behind a router.

Having trouble with Netplay does cover this, however if you do not understand, I recommend looking through your router manual, looking through the available settings, and perhaps look up some of these terms on Wikipedia for more details.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by AntoineWG »

To paraphrase what Nach said, you (the host) and the other guy (the client) must allow UDP port 7845 to pass through your firewalls. You're getting a "client found" message, so that most likely means the person you're trying to play with needs to unblock/forward that port.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Graves

Re: Can't use UDP?

Post by Graves »

Thanks guys, I truly do appreciate the feedback. However couple things:
Graves wrote:I am using winXP, I don't have a router, and um I think I have Windows firewall on.
The other guy is in pretty much the same situation as me. We both don't have routers, we're using winXP, and the only firewall we both use is Windows Firewall.

I really don't know how to allow a port on my firewall. I tried fooling around with it yesterday and Add Port-ed a port called "ZSNES netplay" to pass through port 7845. I told the other guy to do the same and still nothing when we were trying to connect.

Uhm...mind helping me figure how to allow the UDP port?

Once again, thank you for any feedback.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

If you got the firewall configured to allow TCP port 7845, then you're 99% there. In the box where you filled in "ZSNES netplay" and 7845, there's a checkbox right blow those blanks to toggle between TCP and UDP. Just create another exception for UDP port 7845.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Master O
Hazed

Post by Master O »

Disable Windows Firewall while in netplay. Turn it back on after you're done.

Does that work for you?
[quote="PhobosDK"]I see only
you are not serious
you'll get ignored

I think bad emulation that will be ignored...

We have choice about emulators.
Close your eyes and keep minor bugs update only.[/quote]

Fail....
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

I really wish people wish people would stop suggesting that. It's been discussed here before and usually just starts a flame war. The general consensus is that outright disabling the firewall without a router a bad idea, even if you do keep up on your antivirus/anticrapware.
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

Like it matters. If your system is patched and you keep it up to date, it really won't make a difference.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Actually, it does matter. Just last month we got hit with an email virus at work with religiously updated antivirus software and Windows updates. A while ago there was an article on slashdot.org about a fully patched XP PC being connected to the internet without a firewall being comprimised within 45 minutes.

Connecting to the internet without a firewall is like using a prostitute--It may be easy but you'll likely end up with the clap. It's just plain dumb. If you do it and get away with it you're just lucky. Firewalls aren't that hard to configure and are well worth the trouble, even if it is just for piece of mind.
Graves

Post by Graves »

Okay um none of that worked...

I thought we were really close because that idea seemed like a good one (to allow another port, just make it TCP) and it still didn't work.

Someone linked me to a site to actually see if a port is open ( http://www.canyouseeme.org/ ) and sure enough it was still closed (got an Error: Connection refused) despite having the port (7845) allowed and even having the firewall disabled completely.

Um...help?
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Just some thoughts of an over-worked mind:

What kind of provider is "BroadBand"? Cable? DSL? Satellite? Terrestrial wireless?

It's possible that your ISP is blocking UDP connections.

If the skips are as long as you say they are, though, there might not be anything you can do to completely eliminate lag.

You might try either high or low port numbers, something between say 40000 and 65535 or below 1024.