Boredum Finds Something

Strictly for discussing ZSNES development and for submitting code. You can also join us on IRC at irc.libera.chat in #zsnes.
Please, no requests here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Truth Unknown
Regular

Boredum Finds Something

Post by Truth Unknown »

After Being Curious about how the Sega Gen compared to the SNES on Wikipedia. I noticed there has been some added/reworded/modified information about the SNES CPU and maybe a few other things by a person named Anomie. Nothing really about the sound processor. I don't know if this is really relevant or really unimportant, just felt it might be something to mention.

SNES - Technical specifications
Wikipage of the SNES CPU
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

...sigh

That list is still a mess (but it was way, way worse a year ago). It was really me that cleaned it up somewhat, but as for sources, I don't feel comfortable referencing the confidential SNES programming manual.

I still want to know who keeps adding in the "included 2A03 core" bullet point, and who keeps fucking adding the semicolons.

Still looking for the SD Gundam GX ad. Stupid magazines... I know there was some Nintendo Power "epic center" article with one sentence about that game as well.

Same thing with the Super FX2. I couldn't let it stand that the Super FX2 was "dual core"
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Wikipedia should be not ever be cited for truth if there is no available linked sources.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

Deathlike2 wrote:Wikipedia should be not ever be cited for truth if there is no available linked sources.
And your point is what? Most people I would hope go to wikipedia as a starting point for further research.

If something is repeated enough times in different places, it becomes "true". Same thing with textbooks.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

whicker wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:Wikipedia should be not ever be cited for truth if there is no available linked sources.
And your point is what? Most people I would hope go to wikipedia as a starting point for further research.

If something is repeated enough times in different places, it becomes "true". Same thing with textbooks.
I'm not saying it's a completely awful resource. It serves a purpose, but taking everything from it is sheer lunacy.

Textbooks have been wrong before though... usually because some of the info is dated.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

Yeah, I was only posting because of the possibility that Truth Unknown wanted to talk about the article.

Hopefully it wasn't to say "hey developers, look at this great resource". Really the flow is from emulator -> article, not the reverse.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

whicker wrote:Yeah, I was only posting because of the possibility that Truth Unknown wanted to talk about the article.

Hopefully it wasn't to say "hey developers, look at this great resource". Really the flow is from emulator -> article, not the reverse.
It wasn't, just wondered about the information that was placed there.
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

whicker wrote:Same thing with the Super FX2. I couldn't let it stand that the Super FX2 was "dual core"
If the FX is dual core, the SA-1 is overclock... 8)

Some months ago the Snes hardware board @ Gamefaqs had a topic about how the Genesis had something called Blast Processing, since it's processor is a few mhz faster than Snes and thus the Super Nintendo needed the FX to keep up with Genesis. Some of the dumbasses claimed 85%+ of Snes games had the FX inside them.
If the mhz difference make Gen faster, the GB/GBC is also faster...Stupid fanboys
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

in the pipes of dar intarweben, everyone is an expert at the risk of the own mortality.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

Kajuru wrote:
whicker wrote:Same thing with the Super FX2. I couldn't let it stand that the Super FX2 was "dual core"
If the FX is dual core, the SA-1 is overclock... 8)

Some months ago the Snes hardware board @ Gamefaqs had a topic about how the Genesis had something called Blast Processing, since it's processor is a few mhz faster than Snes and thus the Super Nintendo needed the FX to keep up with Genesis. Some of the dumbasses claimed 85%+ of Snes games had the FX inside them.
If the mhz difference make Gen faster, the GB/GBC is also faster...Stupid fanboys
sad sad retards. Blast-Processing was a buzzword that helped sell Sonic the Hedghog (although Genesis DID have to be faster to achieve Sonic) FX in 85%... that is so sad, this guy needs to learn a few things.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

Uh, actually... There is a (crappy) version of Sonic the Hedgehog for the MasterSystem / GameGear. It just had to be shorter so that the player could finish the game before the batteries ran out :/

Nothing that Sonic and the Genesis does can't be done with the SNES, look at Donkey Kong Country 2 in the parallax backgrounds and transparency, for example.

As for the 5A22, it does have a ton of built in peripherals compared to other cpus at the time it was designed. There's got to be some prototype/development hardware out there that uses a normal 65c816 and uses separate TTL chips/simple PLD's... has anyone come across any info like that?

I'll stop rambling now.
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

whicker wrote:There is a (crappy) version of Sonic the Hedgehog for the MasterSystem / GameGear. It just had to be shorter so that the player could finish the game before the batteries ran out
My little cousing still plays that game, the stages are similar to the point that not paying attention, you won't know if it's the 1st or 4th stage, and the music is SOOO repetitive, it gives me headaches.
Blast-Processing was a buzzword that helped sell Sonic the Hedghog
I guess that explains Sonic 3D Blast, then.
Panzer88 wrote:FX in 85%... that is so sad, this guy needs to learn a few things.
Since 94(when I got my Snes), I've heard people say things like:
Hires fonts/rotation/zoom/transparency/etc are SuperFX effects;
Mode7(mainly dungeons and maps) are Virtual/Polygonal(off topic: noobs tend to call games like Tekken "Virtual");
Street Fighter Alpha2 had a miniCD inside the cart;
SA-1, SDD1, C4 are different versions of the SuperFX chip
and a lot more...

Edit: The statements above don't reflect what I think. They're absolutely wrong. It's just a collection of stupid things I heard along the years.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Kajuru wrote:
Street Fighter Alpha2 had a miniCD inside the cart
:lol:
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

truly timeless. That is so sad. a miniCD WTF were they thinking?
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

a miniCD WTF were they thinking?
Their answer: The "load" times between rounds. Needs a head>keyb gif