wannabe developer

Strictly for discussing ZSNES development and for submitting code. You can also join us on IRC at irc.libera.chat in #zsnes.
Please, no requests here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

laserbeak43
Rookie

Post by laserbeak43 »

Nightcrawler wrote:
laserbeak43 wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:We have plenty of hardware information on the SNES including the current and most accurate SNES hardware docs by Anomie. Many sites don't have those. Not to mention, we've got sample assembly source code and more.

http://www.romhacking.net
all of anomie's guides are hardware guides. no tutorials on how to start using assembler.
Yeah.. that's what assembly IS... You're going to need those if you ever hope to do anything with SNES assembly. And I suppose you couldn't take 5 seconds to look at the rest of the documents or you'd find these..

Assembly Documents
damn man whats with the attitude. thats actualy the first thing i saw when i went to your site. the thing is after READING two or three of those, i was still lost on how to use it and an assembler. i hope that clears up what i am asking...
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

I aplogize for the attitude. I had given plenty of resources and it didn't seem like you had bothered to look at them all. You didn't mention anything but the fact that Anomie's docs were hardware. That's how it looked from my end.

If you use xkas(found on ROMhacking.net or byuu.org) I will help you further. Otherwise, the other SNES assemblers are too difficult and cause even more problems for most new people. I don't support using them until you know what you're doing.

xkas is by far the simplest, most flexible assembler for new people and learning in my opinion. It doesn't hide anything from you and the required to code to get up and running is minimal.

One day I intend to make a starter kit w/ xkas to 'rival' Neviksti's because I think his kit really isn't fit for true beginners in many ways and he chooses to use a more difficult assembler.

A good many people have a hard time grasping how to USE certain assemblers.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
laserbeak43
Rookie

Post by laserbeak43 »

sorry about that. i guess i am a bit lazy about fully explaining myself. maybe i wont fully understand how important it is to explain until i'm actualy programming :lol: i will look into that stuff when i have some free time(at work) and download it when i get home. thanks.
undisbeliever
Rookie

Post by undisbeliever »

Nightcrawler wrote:xkas is by far the simplest, most flexible assembler for new people and learning in my opinion. It doesn't hide anything from you and the required to code to get up and running is minimal.

One day I intend to make a starter kit w/ xkas to 'rival' Neviksti's because I think his kit really isn't fit for true beginners in many ways and he chooses to use a more difficult assembler.

A good many people have a hard time grasping how to USE certain assemblers.
I understand that xkas is the simplest, but due to a lack of Windows. I am having trouble comiling it on my x64 version of Debian Linux.

With a lack of makefiles and complier scripts, I can't seam to get it working - Any Ideas anyone??

Byuu HELP!!
byuu

Post by byuu »

How to compile xkas for Linux :

gcc xkas.cpp

And you're done.

How to assemble a file with xkas :

copy and paste below to a text file named test.asm :
-----
lorom
org $8000
main:
jmp main
-----
And then run

xkas test.asm test.smc

Whee.
undisbeliever
Rookie

Post by undisbeliever »

sounds like fun, maybe I should try it...
laserbeak43
Rookie

Post by laserbeak43 »

when i get off of work tonight i will try it.
Hyos
Regular

Post by Hyos »

laserbeak43 wrote:when i get off of work tonight i will try it.
While I do not have anything interesting to add to the topic, I have to say nice avatar.
laserbeak43
Rookie

Post by laserbeak43 »

Hyos wrote:
laserbeak43 wrote:when i get off of work tonight i will try it.
While I do not have anything interesting to add to the topic, I have to say nice avatar.
lol :lol:
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

byuu wrote:How to compile xkas for Linux :

gcc xkas.cpp

And you're done.
I recall that working after I patched two missing functions...
Did you ever release the source with the patches I sent you?
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by byuu »

Honestly, I don't know.
I need to redo things to use the new libstring, but it changes so much it'll probably take forever to do. I've been putting it off for well over a year now.