I ported Zsnes to the Xbox. I have a few questions

Strictly for discussing ZSNES development and for submitting code. You can also join us on IRC at irc.libera.chat in #zsnes.
Please, no requests here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

ICEknight
Rookie

Post by ICEknight »

Yeah, I see. Such a shame.
snes6502
Rookie

Post by snes6502 »

I havn't looked at the sources for the NTSC filter, but if it as simple as enabling 2xSai, Hq2X, etc...then I'll add it, If there is significant work involved in getting it to display, then I'll likely pass (or at least bump it to the bottom of priorities). There are lots of filters on current Xbox emulators that are pointless because it's impossible to get 60/60 with them turned on.

Ultimatly, I would like to add every option that is available in Zsnes to the Xbox port.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

snes6502 wrote:I havn't looked at the sources for the NTSC filter, but if it as simple as enabling 2xSai, Hq2X, etc...then I'll add it, If there is significant work involved in getting it to display, then I'll likely pass (or at least bump it to the bottom of priorities). There are lots of filters on current Xbox emulators that are pointless because it's impossible to get 60/60 with them turned on.

Ultimatly, I would like to add every option that is available in Zsnes to the Xbox port.
HQx modes are probably out of the question then... well, maybe HQ2x might be possible but I suspect if the NTSC filter is not acceptable performancewise, then the other filters are not ideal (of course you'll have to test/judge for yourself). The filter that consumes the least resources is interpolation (bilinear filtering)...
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

There's also LQ?x (eg. VBA).
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Any examples of this LQ filter?
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Just load any GBA ROM (eg. Orn) into the current version of Visual Boy Advance and toggle between the filters - it looks almost the same.

I just checked the CPU usage though, and here LQ?x is only slightly faster. :?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Ah I didn't know they were a similar filter.
snes6502
Rookie

Post by snes6502 »

HQx modes are probably out of the question then... well, maybe HQ2x might be possible but I suspect if the NTSC filter is not acceptable performancewise, then the other filters are not ideal (of course you'll have to test/judge for yourself). The filter that consumes the least resources is interpolation (bilinear filtering)...
I tried super eagle and super 2xsai and all games still ran fullspeed.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

I think the LQxX filter does the same thing as the HQxX filter,minus the antialiasing.
But I can't notice any difference between the two in GBA games.LQ is slightly faster than HQ.

What about the XxPM (PM) filter?
A version of VBA (I think it was VBASmooth) had this filter.I can't find any info about this filter.Similar to HQxX,but a bit different.
Uses more CPU? than HQ,so maybe it could be better.

Is there any info about the PM filter?
Marmitt

Post by Marmitt »

Now that Zsnexbox is out, it would be nice to have Xbox filename support in NSRT. I could always use my old zips from xsnes9x, but I prefer JMA.
XBox v1.0 TSOP X2 5035 0.2
PS2 v12 DMS4Pro S.E. ToxicOS 0.41
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Marmitt wrote:Now that Zsnexbox is out, it would be nice to have Xbox filename support in NSRT. I could always use my old zips from xsnes9x, but I prefer JMA.
If you mean renaming, just use -ren83.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Marmitt »

Nach wrote:
Marmitt wrote:Now that Zsnexbox is out, it would be nice to have Xbox filename support in NSRT. I could always use my old zips from xsnes9x, but I prefer JMA.
If you mean renaming, just use -ren83.

Good call.
XBox v1.0 TSOP X2 5035 0.2
PS2 v12 DMS4Pro S.E. ToxicOS 0.41
Spike
Rookie

Post by Spike »

The television will maintain this crystal clear image when using SVIDEO as well. The NTSC artifacts only happen when using the composite video (yellow RCA plug), or RF coax. Technically it has nothing to do with an NTSC thing, as SVIDEO is just as NTSC too but without the artifacts. Its this reason why people use SVIDEO over composite anyday.

Bottom line as was already said, the filter won't work on the slow XBOX cpu, although it would be useful indeed if people do use SVIDEO or component video.

You don't need to have an expensive TV to use SVIDEO.
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

Spike wrote:The television will maintain this crystal clear image when using SVIDEO as well. The NTSC artifacts only happen when using the composite video (yellow RCA plug), or RF coax.
Well, crystal clear is a bit of an overstatement. Even with S-VIDEO, the colors are a bit muddy. For crystal clear you'd have to use those custom Zenith RGB monitors that were in the store displays, or get a Japanese TV from that time period that just happened to have the correct RGB signal level inputs.
Xarann

Post by Xarann »

yeah s-video isn't all the upgrade it's meant up to be over composite.

People just don't realise it has the exact same bandwith than rca.

the separation of chrominance/luminance mostly helps for the "dot crawl" effect of composite.
Poobah
Lurker

Post by Poobah »

snes6502 wrote:
I tried super eagle and super 2xsai and all games still ran fullspeed.
He was talking about the HQXX filters -- not Super Eagle or Super 2xSai, which are relatively quite fast.
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

Xarann, that and the luminance isn't low-passed, so it ends up being higher quality.