Brand new OAM size findings

Strictly for discussing ZSNES development and for submitting code. You can also join us on IRC at irc.libera.chat in #zsnes.
Please, no requests here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

pkasting

Post by pkasting »

byuu wrote:Firefox is a good example of a version numbering system that is out of control. .6, .7, .8, .9, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 <futurepredict>3.0, 4.0, 6.0, 12.0, 24.0, 48.0, E(n=6 ... +1) { 2.0^n }...</futurepredict> heh. I know they're in a hurry to catch up to 7.0, though.
I happen to _be_ a Firefox dev, so I couldn't let this go without comment.

The 0.6 etc. were the legitimate and correct way to release the stepping-stone-to-1.0 releases. 1.5 is maybe arguable in terms of what the numbering scheme should be. Future releases are NOT VERSION NUMBERED. There is no Firefox 2.0. There is a "Firefox 2", which, while the same thing to the computer scientist in me, is not at all the same from a marketing perspective. The next release will be Firefox 3, not Firefox 3.0.

I have no idea what the point releases of these are supposed to be called, though :(

I can say with certainty that we have no interest at all in "catching up" to IE's version numbers. It's not influencing the number scheme at all. No, sadly, the simple fact is that much of our target audience doesn't understand version numbers and just tries out something based on whether it's "better" than the previous one. The data we have suggests that changing a big number "Firefox 2 -> Firefox 3" is enough to get people to use the new version, whereas a smaller version rev isn't.

I was actually on the "opposed" sign of this decision, but there is some reasoning behind it, even if the reasoning isn't "make the number reflect exactly how much change is in each version relative to historical releases".
byuu

Post by byuu »

There is no Firefox 2.0. There is a "Firefox 2", which, while the same thing to the computer scientist in me, is not at all the same from a marketing perspective.
Window dressing. This is the kind of argument a lawyer would make. Everyone in the world is going to consider it v2.0.
The data we have suggests that changing a big number "Firefox 2 -> Firefox 3" is enough to get people to use the new version, whereas a smaller version rev isn't.
Exactly my point. Firefox is artificially bumping the version numbers more and more with less and less actual changes, so that more people will download / upgrade their software.

When "Firefox 27" comes out, it's going to look stupid. Far less people will be willing to upgrade "Firefox 26" to "Firefox 27" than would upgrade "Firefox 2" to "Firefox 3". So, you either keep arbitrarily increasing version numbers by greater and greater amounts (looking increasingly stupid) or you keep modest version numbers, like the majority of other software out there does.

Eh, don't get me wrong. It's still my browser of choice, even with all of my pet peeves about it. The version number is probably the least important thing about software.
pkasting

Post by pkasting »

byuu wrote:
There is no Firefox 2.0. There is a "Firefox 2", which, while the same thing to the computer scientist in me, is not at all the same from a marketing perspective.
Window dressing. This is the kind of argument a lawyer would make. Everyone in the world is going to consider it v2.0.
You'd be amazed how most of the people in the world are confused by version numbers and don't understand the entire concept. They just want to know if it's different or not. Things like ".0" at the end of the number don't mean anything to them. Firefox 2 looks different than Firefox. Firefox 1.5 wasn't "different" than Firefox 1.0, which is why we got constant surprised reactions from people when we told them they should upgrade.

It doesn't seem that hard to understand to me, but then there are a lot of things that don't seem hard to me that almost everyone else in the world gets wrong.
Exactly my point. Firefox is artificially bumping the version numbers more and more with less and less actual changes, so that more people will download / upgrade their software.
You are aware that the number of changes in each of these upcoming releases is quite large, right?

Even I've never thought of version numbers as having to correlate with the raw quantity of changes. It's the impact of the changes that matters. Major version numbers (to me, if everyone did what I would want) should mean a major functional shift/rewrite with large impact. Minor numbers reflect smaller patches, fixes, and progress on the way to whatever next major stepping stone or stable point you believe you're at.

In that sense, projects like MAME and the Linux kernel increment major version numbers far too rarely IMO, while things like iTunes bump it too often. Given the types of changes in the Firefox releases, they're closer to my ideal than any of the projects listed above, though still probably too aggressive in bumping the branding number. (And yes, when you drop the .0, it's a branding thing, not a versioning thing.)
When "Firefox 27" comes out, it's going to look stupid. Far less people will be willing to upgrade "Firefox 26" to "Firefox 27" than would upgrade "Firefox 2" to "Firefox 3".
Well, for one, maybe that will be relevant if we're still around in 35 years or so. But for another, adoption rates on things that bump numbers rapidly like Windows Media Player, iTunes, etc. say that you're wrong :)

Really, we don't have any reason to believe that the majority of folks consider the numbers in terms of ratios: they don't seem to believe "2" is twice as good as "1", just that it's better. And "27" is not "just barely better than 26", it's "better".
So, you either keep arbitrarily increasing version numbers by greater and greater amounts (looking increasingly stupid) or you keep modest version numbers, like the majority of other software out there does.
As I've tried to imply before, you only look stupid to the 0.05% of the population that are geeky like us and actually care about this sort of thing. And yes, my argument against going to 2 was that if only 0.05% care, and THEY think it's dumb, then why not do something that makes them happy, if it doesn't matter to the rest of people? But the truth is that it does matter in a marketing sense, and we do really want people to get "Firefox 2", so we're kind of stuck with it. So if you'd like to complain that the public consists of idiots, I'm right there with you, but sadly we have to find a way to work with those "idiots" as they're almost the entirety of our customer base.
Overload
Hazed

Post by Overload »

byuu wrote:

Code: Select all

Super Sleuth v1.04e
- Bug in input, unable to test
Have you selected the joypad for device #1.

A line of code must have been misplaced during the rewrite. I will fix for the next release.
byuu wrote: Also, there's some sort of hanging bug with the v1.04 preview builds of Super Sleuth, so I can't test that version.
Really? When does it hang?
byuu

Post by byuu »

That was the hanging bug. As input was not working, I figured the program hanged up somewhere. I should've been more clear. I don't remember if I checked to setup joypad 1 first. I know it was automatic in previous versions, so I probably did just assume it was already set.
-_pentium5.1_-
Lurker

Post by -_pentium5.1_- »

So is it safe to use the "preview" versions of Super Sleuth yet?
This signature intentionally contains no text other than this sentence.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Yes, just select the controller from the list.