Compiling zsnes in mingw needs some work.

Strictly for discussing ZSNES development and for submitting code. You can also join us on IRC at irc.libera.chat in #zsnes.
Please, no requests here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

mattst88

Compiling zsnes in mingw needs some work.

Post by mattst88 »

I attempted to compile the CVS version after I found out that 1.42 is over a year old. It was not fun. First, I tried the configure script, only to find out later that it was Linux only. There are plenty of projects whose autotools setup works on BSD, Linux, mingw, etc. I can't see any reason this project's shouldn't.

Someone in the IRC channel pointed me Makefile.ms. This didn't work either, probably because I haven't downloaded the massive DirectX SDK. I know zsnes works with SDL and OpenGL, why can't I compile it with them in mingw?

Some work needs to be done with the build setup to accommodate mingw. Incorporate Makefile.ms into Makefile.in. Have it check for SDL, OpenGL and DirectX. Give the option to build one or the other, or both.

Cool project, btw. I haven't seem many projects of this size use assembly to such an extent. I've started programming in assembly recently, so I can understand the difficulties involved.
mozz
Hazed

Post by mozz »

Some good ideas there. Are you volunteering to do this work?
mattst88

Post by mattst88 »

I'm not terribly familiar with Autotools past hacking away at configure scripts, but I'd more than happy to help. Maybe I could learn something. :)
jdratlif
Regular

Re: Compiling zsnes in mingw needs some work.

Post by jdratlif »

mattst88 wrote:I attempted to compile the CVS version after I found out that 1.42 is over a year old. It was not fun. First, I tried the configure script, only to find out later that it was Linux only. There are plenty of projects whose autotools setup works on BSD, Linux, mingw, etc. I can't see any reason this project's shouldn't.

Someone in the IRC channel pointed me Makefile.ms. This didn't work either, probably because I haven't downloaded the massive DirectX SDK. I know zsnes works with SDL and OpenGL, why can't I compile it with them in mingw?

Some work needs to be done with the build setup to accommodate mingw. Incorporate Makefile.ms into Makefile.in. Have it check for SDL, OpenGL and DirectX. Give the option to build one or the other, or both.

Cool project, btw. I haven't seem many projects of this size use assembly to such an extent. I've started programming in assembly recently, so I can understand the difficulties involved.
Try zget.
http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6657

It's supposed to do all the work for you.
http://jdrrant.blogspot.com/ - CODEpendent Blog
http://games.technoplaza.net/ - Emulation Goodies
momotaro
Rookie

Post by momotaro »

CVS is outdated. Now use SVN ( https://zsnes.bountysource.com/svn ). Here is the source code more actual. Download it with TortoiseSVN.

I compile SVN with MinGW in WinXP perfectly. It's not problem of edit makefile.ms or other files. The problem is configuration of MinGW's enviroment and add any libs and includes, nasm, a possibility other things (I not remember exactly).
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

You can still use zget, you just have to get the source code manually from SVN.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

heres a mingw tutorial made (for compiling zsnes) by xamenus.

http://www.filelodge.com/files/room17/4 ... nstall.txt
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Heretics.

Please research stuff before spewing.
BTW, new zget out: http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7356
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

ZSNES compiles fine on mingw, nothing needs to be done.
mattst88

Post by mattst88 »

How about the ability to compile with SDL instead of DirectX?
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

mattst88 wrote:How about the ability to compile with SDL instead of DirectX?
That's not a matter of compiling, it's a matter of modifying the source.
And I have to question why? SDL wraps to DX on Windows.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

SDL on windows is a complete joke. It would be a huge downgrade compared to what we have already.
byuu

Post by byuu »

pagefault wrote:SDL is a complete joke. It would be a huge downgrade compared to what we have already.
Corrected mistake.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

byuu wrote:
pagefault wrote:SDL is a complete joke. It would be a huge downgrade compared to what we have already.
Corrected mistake.
And introduced a new one, since you now imply we don't use SDL at all, when we use it on *nix.

Post by byuu »

True. I'm not really one to talk in this regard, but an emulator as popular as ZSNES really needs a linux interface not written in Simple Directmediocrity Layer. Since you've already replaced the sound code, that leaves OGL and joypad support that's still dependant on it. Are there any direct OGL libraries for nix systems?
bztunk
Hazed

Post by bztunk »

byuu wrote:True. I'm not really one to talk in this regard, but an emulator as popular as ZSNES really needs a linux interface not written in Simple Directmediocrity Layer. Since you've already replaced the sound code, that leaves OGL and joypad support that's still dependant on it. Are there any direct OGL libraries for nix systems?
Well, there's obviously mesa, which SDL links to.

You can also use freeglut that provides some basic input and windowing functions. (also links to mesa)
16:13 <Link`sAdventure> If I had my choice between Fedora and Windows, I'd pick windows.