ZSNES on Intel Mac, further progress

Strictly for discussing ZSNES development and for submitting code. You can also join us on IRC at irc.libera.chat in #zsnes.
Please, no requests here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

BRPXQZME
Hazed

Post by BRPXQZME »

Aerdan wrote:Please be aware that Gentoo, at least, has 1.2.10 hardmasked because it breaks too many packages.
Uh, if it was hardmasked when you posted, it isn't anymore.

Since a ZSNES 1.43 release isn't exactly going to go into portage just yet (seeing as to how it isn't even released yet), I think SDL 1.2.10 will be out of ~x86 by then. Heck, most distros will have 1.2.10 by then I think.

Temporary #ifdefs may be in order, but since SDL is relatively easy to compile anywhere, I think a minimum 1.2.10 is fine as long as the massive improvements to ZSNES are going on!

Right now, I'm not testing this on my MacBook (and if NASM still needs to be fixed, well, I'm waiting for the next version of Xcode!), but I would like to thank Hector for coming along and doing all the real work while I've been dealing with mononucleosis, graduation, and getting my wisdom teeth pulled. I can say it's been nothing short of super-convenient for me! :lol:

When I'm not too tired to go and get the Mac out, I'll try out multiple mice, although I reckon it probably already works. And I'll finally get off my ass and post some howtos on getting AdvanceMAME, XMAME, and MPlayer working on osx86....
hector
Rookie

Post by hector »

That must've been one hell of a week for you. Well, think of this as a present then :wink:
BRPXQZME
Hazed

Post by BRPXQZME »

Couple of weeks, actually. But I mean, attempting to backport PCSX2 to Linux is currently more painful than my mouth! (Maybe I should get a job)

Alright, time to fish my mouse out.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

BRPXQZME wrote:But I mean, attempting to backport PCSX2 to Linux is currently more painful than my mouth!
Ha, some guys came into the ZSNES channel a few months back asking for help in porting the PCSX2 assembly so it runs on Linux too. I actually spent a day giving them pointers :P
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by BRPXQZME »

Nach wrote:
BRPXQZME wrote:But I mean, attempting to backport PCSX2 to Linux is currently more painful than my mouth!
Ha, some guys came into the ZSNES channel a few months back asking for help in porting the PCSX2 assembly so it runs on Linux too. I actually spent a day giving them pointers :P
Oh, the assembly's the easy part when you know how to handle that... it's all the Windows-isms that can stump you, especially when you don't know the Unix-ism for it either, because you have to re-write the code instead of massaging it.

Dual mouse support works just about as well as I can keep the cursor inside the window! Huzzah!
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

BRPXQZME wrote: Dual mouse support works just about as well as I can keep the cursor inside the window! Huzzah!
Which game did you test with?
You successfully got each mouse to control a different cursor?
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by BRPXQZME »

T2. It's way better with two people, I assure you. Each mouse had a different cursor, although you are kind of limited as to which mouse goes to which control.
polyh3dron
Rookie

Post by polyh3dron »

hector: thanks for putting in that vsync!
raejae

Post by raejae »

I've been a huge fan of ZSNES since it started, and it's been the single piece of software I've missed the most since I switched to Mac five years ago.

Thanks for all of your hard work guys, know that it goes appreciated by a lot of people like me.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

raejae wrote:I've been a huge fan of ZSNES since it started, and it's been the single piece of software I've missed the most since I switched to Mac five years ago.

Thanks for all of your hard work guys, know that it goes appreciated by a lot of people like me.
You do need an intel-based Mac though.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
raejae

Post by raejae »

I'd been plugging along on a Titanium PowerBook... What do you think I did at 2PM ET on January 10th? ;)

Anyway, I don't want to draw this off-topic, just wanted to post some appreciation.
polyh3dron
Rookie

Post by polyh3dron »

controller support doesn't seem to be working right on the mac port... when I was assigning the buttons and it asked what button to use for down, it froze the program. I was using a wired xbox 360 controller with os x drivers that work with everything else.
tehnick
Hazed

Post by tehnick »

I can't confirm that^ It works for me using a SuperSmartJoy.

However, I notice on the OS X version after it asks for the B button it will stall for a bit and I have to press ESC for the rest of the buttons and then manually select and edit the rest. It works though, just the settings of buttons is what seems a bit buggy.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

You can edit the config file to change the sensitivity which would hopefully fix that.

Post by polyh3dron »

I have confirmed that the xbox 360 controller is having issues working with zsnes on os x. I have the latest driver installed for the controller which makes it work with bsnes and nestopia flawlessly. in zsnes, Ill press the same button repeatedly but it will be recognized as a randomly different button every time it gets pressed.

oh well, back to boot camp i guess.
ZPedro

Post by ZPedro »

Hi folks, sorry to dig this topic after two weeks, but I am a (somewhat) experienced Mac programmer and long-time Mac user, and I have a present for ZSNES on OSX (good stuff, I recently got a MacBook and ZSNES should nicely find its place next to trusty SNES9X, though of course the interface is a bit unsettling at first).

It's called IntelRequired.

Rationale:
PowerPC machines running OSX Jaguar (10.2.x), when trying to run an Intel-only application, will merely have "Launch failed with error code -2857" printed on the Console (and no message whatsoever to the user); Panther (10.3.x) isn't much better: it shows a message to the user saying "You cannot open the application "FooApp" because it may be damaged or incomplete.", which is extremely useful. As for tools launched from the Terminal, it will merely print "bash: FooTool: Bad CPU type in executable". By lipo'ing the IntelRequired Mach-O PowerPC executable with your Intel-only executable inside your app bundle, and adding "IntelRequired.nib" to your bundle resources, on PowerPC machines, the user will see a dialog that says "The program requires an Intel processor."
It's far better to see that instead of an useless message or even nothing.

This was inspired by BurgerBecky's PowerPC Required; though I did not reuse her code (wasn't suitable for OSX...) the dialog is a direct conversion from her dialog resource, with just "a PowerPC" replaced by "an Intel". Notice that at the the time of the 68k->PowerPC transition (in 1994...) there was no case like ZSNES, that is of an app with a significant assembly codebase that only got ported to the Mac because it was using this processor, as the PowerPC was new at the time, so PowerPC-only apps only slowly appeared when they actually required the processing power and by then 68k Macs were outdated; this is not the case here and the PowerPC machine may not be "sorely needing to be replaced" ;), it just isn't suitable for running ZSNES. Other than that, you may wish to change the message as you like, say by telling to use SNES9X or bsnes instead. ;)
Soul Colossus
Rookie

Post by Soul Colossus »

So is there a working .dmg for this yet? I wanna give it a shot since I hate snes9x :P
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

polyh3dron wrote:I have confirmed that the xbox 360 controller is having issues working with zsnes on os x. I have the latest driver installed for the controller which makes it work with bsnes and nestopia flawlessly. in zsnes, Ill press the same button repeatedly but it will be recognized as a randomly different button every time it gets pressed.

Well, there is a joystick sensitivity option you can try out and see if that helps.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
polyh3dron
Rookie

Post by polyh3dron »

Deathlike2 wrote:
polyh3dron wrote:I have confirmed that the xbox 360 controller is having issues working with zsnes on os x. I have the latest driver installed for the controller which makes it work with bsnes and nestopia flawlessly. in zsnes, Ill press the same button repeatedly but it will be recognized as a randomly different button every time it gets pressed.

Well, there is a joystick sensitivity option you can try out and see if that helps.
The joystick sensitivity option does not remedy the issue.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

polyh3dron wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:

The joystick sensitivity option does not remedy the issue.
Are you using latest SVN?

Post by Lord Nightmare »

off topic, but that sdl_keysym-to-pc-scancode function is VERY useful, even for the normal linux sdl port! it should fix the EONS-old issue (which predates zsnes even) of scancodes being broken (kb not working) when using aalib, dga, or fb as a gfx output in linux sdl. But it needs to be enabled ONLY when x11 is NOT being used as the sdl output mode!

Lord Nightmare
"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK* ...you make zombie-ade!"
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Well, some work was done on the joystick support (dunno when that was done, but it was significant nonetheless) and a more recent joystick patch should have changed the situation a bit.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...