A small article regarding ZSNES

Strictly for discussing ZSNES development and for submitting code. You can also join us on IRC at irc.libera.chat in #zsnes.
Please, no requests here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

I'm sure it is the scroll registers. If I initialize them it's fine. If I don't, it's haywire.

The other thing I should mention is even without initializing them, hitting RESET fixes it also.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
byuu

Post by byuu »

The part that gets me is you say the screen continues to scroll before initializing them... that -should- be impossible unless something is editing them (e.g. an interrupt, HDMA, etc.). The picture just being in the wrong spot would make sense.

As far as reset: I haven't tested anything, but I would imagine it resets all the MMIO registers.
neviksti
Lurker

Post by neviksti »

Nightcrawler wrote:The other thing I should mention is even without initializing them, hitting RESET fixes it also.
I assume you don't mean it is "actively scrolling", just that the screen is scrolled strangely and/or other video features are messing with the intended display. If so...

Yes, I don't understand that behavior but I've seen it many times. (This was before I got a copier, so it definitely had nothing to do with that.) The program for one reason or another was all messed up on the screen. Pressing reset would fix it.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

neviksti wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:The other thing I should mention is even without initializing them, hitting RESET fixes it also.
I assume you don't mean it is "actively scrolling", just that the screen is scrolled strangely and/or other video features are messing with the intended display. If so...

Yes, I don't understand that behavior but I've seen it many times. (This was before I got a copier, so it definitely had nothing to do with that.) The program for one reason or another was all messed up on the screen. Pressing reset would fix it.
Yes.. that's pretty much it, but I hesitate to say 'actively scrolling' because it's certainly scrolling strangely. In fact, my first guesses of the problem wasn't scrolling. But it turned out simply setting the scroll registers to 0 fixed the problem. Commenting those lines out makes the problem reappear, so it MUST be the scroll registers or some anomally that is affected by them. For some reason RESET also works even without initializing the registers. I'm not sure why though.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
cdbsi
Rookie

Post by cdbsi »

Nach wrote:I hope it's appreciated :(
Oh, don't worry about that, I am VERY appreciative of your work and everyone else's work. Without you guys putting your free time into writing this emulator (and other emulators). I wouldn't have been able to have the chance to use (and continue using) such a great emulator for the past 6 years. I have received so much enjoyment by using ZSNES and I will certainly remember it for a very long time.

I truly hope there is enough desire in the world to have perfect or near-perfect emulation for the SNES or any system for that matter. I hope that 20 years from now I can still be playing my old SNES games!

Even though I own an actual SNES and many games for it. I always use emulation instead because it is so convenient and portable.

P.S. I love seeing actual SNES talk on these boards!