Question

Strictly for discussing ZSNES development and for submitting code. You can also join us on IRC at irc.libera.chat in #zsnes.
Please, no requests here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

DynaEmu

Question

Post by DynaEmu »

What is scripting and programming when you are translating a game? Also, do you need to know pointers in order to translate sentences, cuz I usually run out of space when translating...
DynaEmu

Post by DynaEmu »

How do you make your texts fit in the game?
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

I think if you are going to translate a game, you are going to need a better command of the English language.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Evan wrote:I think if you are going to translate a game, you are going to need a better command of the English language.
Ha! I agree. :)

Yes, you're going to need to learn pointers for more space.

Your term of 'Scripting' probably refers to dumping and inserting the script from a game. This consits of making a table file for the game and using a utility to dump the script. In some cases, you need to write your own custom dumper and/or decompression utility because no other utility can handle your games storage methods.

Go to http://www.romhacking.com and read the many tutorials available to you.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
DynaEmu

Post by DynaEmu »

Um, I am american, I am not from anywhere else :P

What is wrong with my english? I think it's fine :P
DOLLS (J) [!]
ZNES Developer

Post by DOLLS (J) [!] »

Perhaps not your english, the answer lies between your ears. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Irritating.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Silensho
Eternal Witness

Post by Silensho »

DynaEmu wrote:Um, I am american, I am not from anywhere else :P

What is wrong with my english? I think it's fine :P
The comment arises from the way your message was written. It seemed as if it lacked something. Maybe you needed to be more explicit.
What?
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Re: Question

Post by badinsults »

DynaEmu wrote:What is scripting and programming when you are translating a game? Also, do you need to know pointers in order to translate sentences, cuz I usually run out of space when translating...

Read this through and ask yourself this question: Is this readable? I do not consider it to be.

At any rate, you seem rather clueless about the subject. I suggest you do some more research before asking any more questions.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome