Where Has FEoEZ Gone?

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

Startropic1

Where Has FEoEZ Gone?

Post by Startropic1 »

I know Darkforce handed off the FEoEZ project to YnT but currently the YnT website is gone. Does anyone know of a current YnT site, and what's the current status of the project?
Tomato
Hazed

Post by Tomato »

I dunno the status of it, but it's a game that I"ve always wanted to translate, it's got this really humorous vibe that I'd like to try my hand at :) But I haven't heard anything in years. I wonder if the graphic pack stuff has anything to do with it.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

The graphic packs are still around, but no translation AFAIK.

It is a safer bet when SPC7110 has been finally figured out though.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

I've discussed this with a few people before. Some people indeed won't work on it as long as it needs graphics packs. I believe I could do a translation of this game working around the graphics packs though, so it would work on the ROM after/when/if the SPC7110 has been cracked so there would be no wasted effort. I can't say with 100% certainty yet without some closer evaluation and potentially even doing significant work. They key is if you can fit everything you need in the current ROM as is. It will require some potent software compression no doubt, and hopefully not many graphics would require replacement because they would need to be stored somewhere and take up the most space and be least friendly to compression. There's probably a few other tricks one could come up with as well to make it work.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Tomato
Hazed

Post by Tomato »

From what I barely can remember from the last time I played it, I think the scroll/spell names are all stored as graphics, and there might be a good number of those. I bet there's a whole bunch of stuff I've forgotten though.
kammedo
Rookie

Post by kammedo »

Tomato check your pm please.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Tomato wrote:From what I barely can remember from the last time I played it, I think the scroll/spell names are all stored as graphics, and there might be a good number of those. I bet there's a whole bunch of stuff I've forgotten though.
I think I missed this reply. Since the thread is already back from the dead:

I did a small survey. There are a few spots with some free space in the ROM. In addition to that, you can utilize the space used for Kanji. While most Kanji are compressed, you can disable that, and reclaim the space. There are a few other tricks I could churn up to get the necessary space to store the modified graphics. A pretty good custom compression scheme would need to be used as well to maximize the little freespace there is. I'm pretty confident it can be done with some care and frustration. ;)

Since Kammedo has showed his head here, it would be nice to hear his potential approach if he's still working on it.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Tomato
Hazed

Post by Tomato »

Haha, I should check this board more often. I was wondering where I mentioned I wanted to translate FEOEZ someday :lol:

I should play through it again sometime, I mostly remember really liking its craziness, its awesome gfx and sound, and that it was almost like a reverse EarthBound in a way, instead of crazy America, it's crazy Japan.

Wouldn't be able to help with stuff until the end of the year or so though, still gotta finish this Mother 3 stuff first. Wish there was some way I could help with the graphic pack situation too, like if it involved translating patents or something I could give that a try sometime.
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

what is FEOEZ? A Super Nintendo RPG? Oh and btw tomato thanks for the kickass Tales of Phantasia translation and Star Ocean translation. I enjoyed both of those games. A fantastic job well done.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Far East of Eden Zero. A Super Nintendo RPG, yes.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Tomato
Hazed

Post by Tomato »

Mark57Raider wrote:Oh and btw tomato thanks for the kickass Tales of Phantasia translation and Star Ocean translation. I enjoyed both of those games. A fantastic job well done.
Actually, I didn't work on ToP at all, it was before my time. I barely remember working on Star Ocean, seems like so long ago too. I feel so old :P
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

Wait! So was DarkForce the main Tales and Star Ocean translator? Oh wait, I think Ceidophiles was the one who worked on Tales of Phantasia. I remember somewhere in olive village I came across this guy saying he's the one that translated the game, but I forgot who it was. I know you did Bahamut Lagoon though. Cause THAT has your name on it.
Tomato
Hazed

Post by Tomato »

I translated Star Ocean and Bahamut Lagoon with DeJap. Cidolfas helped with Star Ocean stuff too, as an editor and advice and clerical guy. Dark Force was the hacker and really the only guy in DeJap.

I think ToP was translated by ChessPieceFace or someone by a name like that.
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

Well it's still good to be talking to one of the members that actually worked on the project. My hats off to you. Can't imagine how much work that must have been. And if you are doing FEOEZ, good luck with that too. I bet with DarkForces skills, Cidolfas and ChessPieceFace and you. You all could pull off FEOEZ in no time. Dark Force must have been one hellava guy.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Tomato wrote: I think ToP was translated by ChessPieceFace or someone by a name like that.
That sounds right.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

What did makokichi do, then, I wonder ? ^_^
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
kammedo
Rookie

Re: Where Has FEoEZ Gone?

Post by kammedo »

Startropic1 wrote:I know Darkforce handed off the FEoEZ project to YnT but currently the YnT website is gone. Does anyone know of a current YnT site, and what's the current status of the project?
:shock: www.yntproject.net - gone??
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

I assume this is the original site? it still works. http://ynt.darkmazda.com/
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I think kammedo of all people would know that... >_>
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Lord Nightmare
Rookie

Post by Lord Nightmare »

sorry for necroing this thread, but spc7110 is now cracked. So thats no longer an issue. An encoder hasn't been written yet, but it is only a matter of time.

LN
"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK* ...you make zombie-ade!"
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Lord Nightmare wrote:sorry for necroing this thread, but spc7110 is now cracked. So thats no longer an issue. An encoder hasn't been written yet, but it is only a matter of time.

LN
What? Seriously? How!? Incredible!!!!

*EDIT* Oh I see!

It's all in HERE!
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

This should certainly be a wake-up call for the SNES scene, if there ever was one.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I fear the data overlap thing might make graphic editing a world of pain for this game.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

ajfoucault

Post by ajfoucault »

I've been in the scene since 2001, and I've also tried to move on from the FEOEZ... but I've been unable to...
[b]"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind." - Edward D. Morrison[/b]
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

This thread is still trying to move on from July.