View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 1:01 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
Star Ocean Language... 
Hazed

Post Star Ocean Language...
I have no other place to ask, so sorry if I ever bother anyone but...

Of what kind does Star Ocean's Japanese Langaue falls at? Is it Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana or something all together, cause' I'm learning the Japanese language and I like to play Star Ocean[SNES] on it's original, untouched, Japanese state.

Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:24 am
Profile YIM
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:12 pm
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

It's friggin obvious you'll see what's what if you try to play, don't you think ? Because it is, and so you should.

Also, if you try to learn japanese from a game while not knowing even the most basic basics basicnesses, you're in for a tough ride.
It's hard enough when you actually grasp the stuff you decipher.

... anyway, feeling nice tonight.
Anything japanese will have hiragana. Except robotspeak BECAUSE ROBOTS SPEAK ALL MONOTONOUS AND CRAP AND KATAKANAS ARE NICE FOR THAT. See, caps give out a relatively similar feeling in english.
Anyway, anything on the SNES that's intended for people out of kindergarten will have kanjis.
Most NES games had all-hiras scripts (which are a buttfuck hell worse to translate than 'normal' kanji-using scripts, if you were wondering) for size reasons. Fortunately the snes removed that limitation (and others, probably, like tile size, layers and co)

So yeah. Next is katas, which are used for emphasis, special speech (see robotspeak above) and foreign transcriptions (most items and character names).

Try to have fun. For reference, I could play ToP to the end (and actually get most of the scenario) but got stuck in the middle of the velcrant cave when I tried SO (without graphic packs, for my defense. Makes it hella tougher to find how to detonate those weird garbled tiles and open a way when you're not seeing shit and didn't notice the item you got is an ACCESSORY).

Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54

Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:30 pm
Hazed

Hey, I didn't even said I was learning Japanese from the game, I said while I'm learning Japanese I thought if it's nice that I try to apply my basic skills and play Star Ocean to it's untouched Japanese Language state, guess I should've been more specific to recieve a nag...

Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:16 am
Profile YIM
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

The question you asked doesn't really show any basic skill, if you see what I mean.
Or rather shows a lack of basic skills.

Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54

Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:24 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]