Message from DarkForce.

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

grinvader wrote:Which Square games exactly ? :roll:
He got it wrong.
isamu
Hazed

Post by isamu »

Best wishes DF.
Djinnilord
Rookie

Post by Djinnilord »

I haven't been online in awhile, since we moved recently, and my internet...umm...well, let's just say I gave it a few volts too much when installing it, and because of this I didn't know any of this.
But it is indeed sad that it would come to this, and I hope someone will be capable and willing to pick it up. I'd gladly do it myself, but I am 14 years old, I have enough work as it is (school), and I don't think I'm fit for the job.

And DF, I never spoke to you, since I am new here, but I must say you have done more than enough for us, and you deserve to take it easy and recover.
"Where there is a Will there is a Way"
And buy Nintendo DS.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Djinnilord wrote:I am 14 years old, I have enough work as it is (school)
You know, unless you drop out of school, you'll never have as much free time as now. Cherish it.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

grinvader wrote:
Djinnilord wrote:I am 14 years old, I have enough work as it is (school)
You know, unless you drop out of school, you'll never have as much free time as now. Cherish it.
Yes.. unfortunately.. that is so true. Had I only really known what life was going to be like back then.. I would have made better use of my time.

Djinnilord:

I doubt you have the necessary skills to do the job even if you wanted to. Darkforce is one of the most skilled of us romhackers and it would take nothing short of an experienced veteran to be able to take over and finish his projects.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Nightcrawler wrote:Yes.. unfortunately.. that is so true. Had I only really known what life was going to be like back then.. I would have made better use of my time.
"Youth is wasted on the young."
--George Bernard Shaw

It's a pity we don't all have two lives.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Djinnilord
Rookie

Post by Djinnilord »

I never said I had the skills, I just asid I'd gladly do it.
And buy Nintendo DS.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

However Djinnilord has plenty of time on his side to learn how to help. Most of us here are either in University or in a job, so have no where near as much free time. When I was 14, school was a joke.
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

It still is, trust me.
Everything I say is a lie.
Djinnilord
Rookie

Post by Djinnilord »

Well, yeah, school is a joke. At least mine is.
But to be honest, I don't think I'm fit for it. I'm the kinda guy who works with something until I lose interest, then i wait awhile, then I pick it up again. And I don't think that this method would satisfy anyone.
And buy Nintendo DS.
LobStar
Lurker

Post by LobStar »

Djinnilord wrote:Well, yeah, school is a joke. At least mine is.
But to be honest, I don't think I'm fit for it. I'm the kinda guy who works with something until I lose interest, then i wait awhile, then I pick it up again. And I don't think that this method would satisfy anyone.
Damn, you just described me all over XD
... Ever take a look at the Earthbound ROM? I SWEAR THE PROGRAMMERS WERE ON CRACK WHEN THEY DID IT! JUST LOOK AT IT!
smokeyjoe

Post by smokeyjoe »

I've faithfully followed Dejap's progress (also Wakdhacks) for along time now, though I'm one of the silent followers :) I only just stumbled onto this thread, and i couldn't help but to sign up on the boards just to say thanks to DF and all those who have been on the Dejap team over the years.

I also wish DF the speediest of recoveries. Sadly, I do not know any people who have the skills of DF's caliber, to take up any of the projects, but I'm confident that there is someone out there somewhere on this planet.
I let my mind wander... it never came back ^_^;

Post by Guest »

Japan gets the best games,why must the rest of the world suffer?
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

smokeyjoe wrote:I've faithfully followed Dejap's progress (also Wakdhacks) for along time now, though I'm one of the silent followers :) I only just stumbled onto this thread, and i couldn't help but to sign up on the boards just to say thanks to DF and all those who have been on the Dejap team over the years.

I also wish DF the speediest of recoveries. Sadly, I do not know any people who have the skills of DF's caliber, to take up any of the projects, but I'm confident that there is someone out there somewhere on this planet.
Are you kidding? A few of DeJap's projects have already been handed off to capable hackers. I think you just insulted a good handful of skilled romhackers out there. Broaden your horizens and learn that there are more people out there than just DeJap who do translations. Then you will 'know' some people who have the skills of DF's caliber.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.

Post by Guest »

aye the lads got a serious point there...so many people are self-centered it makes me sick.
smokeyjoe

Post by smokeyjoe »

Nightcrawler wrote:
smokeyjoe wrote:I've faithfully followed Dejap's progress (also Wakdhacks) for along time now, though I'm one of the silent followers :) I only just stumbled onto this thread, and i couldn't help but to sign up on the boards just to say thanks to DF and all those who have been on the Dejap team over the years.

Are you kidding? A few of DeJap's projects have already been handed off to capable hackers. I think you just insulted a good handful of skilled romhackers out there. Broaden your horizens and learn that there are more people out there than just DeJap who do translations. Then you will 'know' some people who have the skills of DF's caliber.
And you my friend should read what I said again. I said I do not know any hackers of DF's caliber. In other words, I do not personally, in real life or over MSN know any people who have those sort of skills. Else I would be recommending some.

I know there are other romhackers out there who are just as skilled, i've played more translated roms than I can count, but I wish, as we all might do, that there were more groups or individuals. A handful of years ago, there were a lot of translation groups out there, but in more recent times, a lot of those groups have discontinued work or have disappeared without a trace.

I don't know the first thing about rom hacking, all I know is how to apply an IPS patch. But I do have some idea of the sort of work, effort and time it would take for someone to somewhat master those sort of skills. It's like learning martial arts. How much you get out of it reflects how much effort you put into learning.
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

WTF?! I knew something happened to dejap but I didn't think it was this bad! I'm glad DF is getting better. It's sad to see such a group go, they provided who knows how many people with hours of entertainment by devoting their on free time. I never spoke to DF but it's still sad to hear such a thing.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

smokeyjoe wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:

And you my friend should read what I said again. I said I do not know any hackers of DF's caliber. In other words, I do not personally, in real life or over MSN know any people who have those sort of skills. Else I would be recommending some.

I know there are other romhackers out there who are just as skilled, i've played more translated roms than I can count, but I wish, as we all might do, that there were more groups or individuals. A handful of years ago, there were a lot of translation groups out there, but in more recent times, a lot of those groups have discontinued work or have disappeared without a trace.

I don't know the first thing about rom hacking, all I know is how to apply an IPS patch. But I do have some idea of the sort of work, effort and time it would take for someone to somewhat master those sort of skills. It's like learning martial arts. How much you get out of it reflects how much effort you put into learning.
I'm not going to argue symantics. What I will comment on though is the number of translation groups etc. Several fellow romhackers and I recently had a discussion about this. Turns out.. the translation scene in general is not that much smaller than it used to be.. HOWEVER.. it does appear to be that way because all the active people are all scattered about, have no knowledge of the others, and sit in their own corner of the web in seclusion. There are alot more independent people rather than the large 20+ people groups of yester year. The other thing that helps set this illusion is there is not any real news outlet. The Whirlpool is not too bad, but these days they only update once a month. Many secluded independent hackers don't even submit news to them anyway. These types of things have really added to the perception of a dying scene when really there's still a good deal of us left out there. A certain famous hacker(not me) came up with an idea to try and unify the scene a bit again to rejuvinate it. We'll have to see how that works out.

I would like to see the translation scene get a little bit of new life back into it and start to flourish more than it has as of late.
smokeyjoe

Post by smokeyjoe »

It would be nice to see it flourish again. The biggest problem I run into is that groups change their web location, but the search engines aren't updated so I end up not being able to find their new site.

I seem to have started out here on the wrong foot. My apologies Nightcrawler.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

No problem. A little miscommunication on both our parts.

I hear you about those links. That's another contributing small problem. I try and make sure any group or person I link to on my site is up to date, but that's all I can really do.

The proposed plan I was talking about above would be some sort of new central website that a certain member group(say any contributing member of the scene) would have access to update the main news page and keep their links to their sites as well as affiliations and other useful information current.

So, for instance, If I update my site about Wozz like I did recently, I can go to this central site and post my own little news blurb. I am then responsible to maintain my own bit of information and links that would be contained on the central page. That way, the burden is not on 2 or 3 busy individuals who can't update a central site as often as need be, but is put in the hands of all of the individual hackers.

That's just a brief overview. The proposal contains alot more, but we'll have to wait for this to finally become public to get all the details. It's a work in progress at the moment and it's not really my place to talk about it.

Suffice to say, I really like the central self hacker updating idea myself. That overcomes some big hudles right there. Links, information, news, and status will all be current for all hackers who are affliliated with the site and care enough to update.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

You can call it WhirlWiki or Wikipool.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Noxious Ninja wrote:You can call it WhirlWiki or Wikipool.
I smell copyright infringment. :x
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Johnny_EX

Post by Johnny_EX »

adventure_of_link wrote:
Noxious Ninja wrote:You can call it WhirlWiki or Wikipool.
I smell copyright infringment. :x
I doubt it. For the sake of arguement, Homestarwiki hasn't been sued for using "wiki", and its been around a while...
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

I think wiki is a rather generic term these days.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

SURPRISE WIKISECHS
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54