Want to get Paid? Offering money for Translators.

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

Phreak_Nation

Want to get Paid? Offering money for Translators.

Post by Phreak_Nation »

Im making a site. All your gonna get on that till its out.
I'm offering money for translators, not translations. If you can not make translations on your own please turn away now. You wont get paid. Must Accept Paypal only. Its free and easy.
Im offering about 10-20 USD per trans depending on Game-Type, Time, and Effort. Also I also want to translate into other languages, If you can do into english good, but I also want to japanese, to german, to dutch, and french and some more.

If you accept the above, EMAIL me. More on details.

Think of it like this, you do it and not get paid, why not get paid for it.
"Piracy is Illegal and stealing. Charging 7.50 for a movie and 3.00 for Popcorn and 2.50 for a drink Should be aswell then." - The Phreak Nation
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Re: Want to get Paid? Offering money for Translators.

Post by Joe Camacho »

Phreak_Nation wrote:Think of it like this, you do it and not get paid, why not get paid for it.
This of it like this: They translate what they want to, when they want to and how they want and don't get paid.

20 US dlls for an RPG? What's wrong with you? I live in a third world country and still think it's not even fair wage.
Last edited by Joe Camacho on Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Hahahahaha ten bucks

Hahahahahahahaha hahaha
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Louis Cypher
Devil Summoner

Post by Louis Cypher »

I'll bite if you pay me... oh, at least 200 times what you're offering. That's the absolute minimum of what my services would be worth.

Besides, nobody can make a translation "on their own." It generally takes at least two people at very minimum, usually three or four.

Geez, you must be delusional about how much effort these things take. Can I have a little of whatever you've been smoking?
[url=http://agtp.romhack.net]Aeon Genesis ~ We eat ham and jam and spam-alot[/url]
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Only 200x that amount? I'd think more like 1000x.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

This is just sad. :?
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Hahahahaa

ROFL.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Tomato
Hazed

Post by Tomato »

An RPG would cost many thousands of dollars to translate professionally, even more if you want editors to gloss things up afterward. So $20 is just a tad low.
Carnivol
Rookie

Post by Carnivol »

I'll do testing, but only if you can top my current testing fees XD

But anyway, on a more serious matter, I actualy thought about stuff like this earlier myself, but that was more like the possibilities of covering specific costs.
Like to make sure to sorta stay on the legal side, supply staff with original copies of the games and any necessary software/material and such.

But I don't think offering money for a task like this this is the right way to go.

Besides, it sorta puts up certain requirements, like it's expected from the translator to finish the job before a pre-set time and it requires you as the one behind the whole thing to pay when it's time to do so.

And seriously, on a hobby/fan-based level, getting something like that going can be kinda hard and like the other says, would require a bigger amount of money involved and such...
~empty zig space for rent~
Phreak_Nation

The Paymen

Post by Phreak_Nation »

Well dont expect me to come back here, thought this would be a good place to get help, guessed wrong. The money was an incentive, and was flexible. It always is. I dont care how hard it is, you still do it for free. I figured atleast youd get paid for something. I know its hard, im a programmer, and dont whine to me about how hard it is. Whaaaa is all i hear when i hear that, 1000x more how about 1000x less, i didnt have to offer any cash and could be like, hey wanna help out, and i prolly would of got a better response. Im not a rich b**** here, i give all i can give. If ya wanted more for your work, state it, want 200, will take some time but i can save up for it and CAN give it, if you do good work and quick, say a month or to, i could of given 500 to a team, i said 20, becaise i didnt know how much time it would take or how hard it is. It was a number to throw out there, i could of given alot of money for translations. Not now. If you all didnt want to give a realistic number then ohh well. Ill look somewhere else.
"Piracy is Illegal and stealing. Charging 7.50 for a movie and 3.00 for Popcorn and 2.50 for a drink Should be aswell then." - The Phreak Nation
Spoony
Hazed

Post by Spoony »

They did give you a reasonable answer, seriously. Good translators make a very nice amount of money, probably what you bring home in a day from a single page. A month or two is also not a reasonable time frame.

Furthermore, what are you getting out of this? Are you purchasing the rights to the translation? I'd be pretty wary about somebody stealing my work under the guise of having paid me for it, rather than having made a donation.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=spoony]Immortality[/url]
rlbond
Hazed

Re: The Paymen

Post by rlbond »

Phreak_Nation wrote:Well dont expect me to come back here, thought this would be a good place to get help, guessed wrong. The money was an incentive, and was flexible. It always is. I dont care how hard it is, you still do it for free. I figured atleast youd get paid for something. I know its hard, im a programmer, and dont whine to me about how hard it is. Whaaaa is all i hear when i hear that, 1000x more how about 1000x less, i didnt have to offer any cash and could be like, hey wanna help out, and i prolly would of got a better response. Im not a rich b**** here, i give all i can give. If ya wanted more for your work, state it, want 200, will take some time but i can save up for it and CAN give it, if you do good work and quick, say a month or to, i could of given 500 to a team, i said 20, becaise i didnt know how much time it would take or how hard it is. It was a number to throw out there, i could of given alot of money for translations. Not now. If you all didnt want to give a realistic number then ohh well. Ill look somewhere else.
I'll give you 10-20 USD to shut up depending on Game-Type, Time, and Effort.
These translators work on games for months, maybe even years, because they enjoy it. They aren't going to work for a paltry sum of money I make in 4 hours working at Kroger.

Let's think about this... Let's say some speedy translators translated a game to english in just one month, and they worked on it 4 hours a day, with a 3 person team. That's 12 hours total per day, times 30 days = 360 hours. Even at minimum wage, that's 1854 dollars.

And nobody can translate games in a month.

Don't blame your ignorance for your insulting topic. You should have found out how difficult translation was before you offered your lavish fortune for translation services.
To truly own, you must own at all games.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Re: The Paymen

Post by Nightcrawler »

Phreak_Nation wrote:Well dont expect me to come back here, thought this would be a good place to get help, guessed wrong.
No.. it's actually not a bad place. A few veteran key players in the scene have seen your advertisement. They are the most likely to have the skill to actually complete projects. It's unfortunate you don't like the answer, but you will probalby see the same almost anywhere with anyone capable of doing these projects.
The money was an incentive, and was flexible. It always is.
You never said anything about flexibility. You simply offered $20.
I dont care how hard it is, you still do it for free. I figured atleast youd get paid for something.
We choose our games based on our own personal choice. Doing a game someone else tells us to greatly decreases motivation and quite a bit of money needs to make up for that. I go to work everyday and do things I don't like to 'at least get paid for something'. When I hack a game, I hack on my own schedule whenever I want, take as long as want, do whatever game I want.
If someone starts dictating those things to me, it has now become a job, and therefore money is the primary motivater. You fail to recognize how things change as soon as money is involved.

Now.. if you're offering to pay and I still choose the game, schedule, etc.. well that's different. But I doubt you'd be willing to pay anyone to do a game that YOU didn't want.
I know its hard, im a programmer, and dont whine to me about how hard it is.
Why aren't you doing it yourself then?
Whaaaa is all i hear when i hear that, 1000x more how about 1000x less, i didnt have to offer any cash and could be like, hey wanna help out, and i prolly would of got a better response.
No you wouldn't. Go ahead and try it. Everyone with the skills to complete these projects work on their own. They aren't going to do a game for you. As far as HELPING you... that would mean YOU are doing much of the work. That's a whole different situation. Then you might receive a better response, however you give no hint of you doing any work.
Im not a rich b**** here, i give all i can give. If ya wanted more for your work, state it, want 200, will take some time but i can save up for it and CAN give it, if you do good work and quick, say a month or to, i could of given 500 to a team, i said 20, becaise i didnt know how much time it would take or how hard it is. It was a number to throw out there, i could of given alot of money for translations. Not now. If you all didnt want to give a realistic number then ohh well. Ill look somewhere else.
People here already given more realistic numbers. For the amount of time spent doing these projects, somewhere in the neighborhood of a few thousand dollars is realistic. It greatly depends on the game in question.

Your 'typical' SNES RPG could take several hundred hours of time of both a translator and hacker minimum. I would also guess that about $2000 per person is in the ballpark, but that's also at close to minimum wage. Depending on the game you choose, you could easily see that number double or triple.. the more complex it is, the less people have the skills to do it and the more money their time is worth and the more time they will need.

You have a horrible misconception of why a romhacker would not jump at the chance to get some cash. As soon as someone else dictates to them what, when, where, and how they work, it becomes strictly about money and therefore they must be fully compensated. It's not like you're just paying them for their hobby. Otherwise, that's more closely related to a donation. No services required.. If you're going to do that, you should donate to everyone in the scene that has already brought many great translations already for you to play.

Note: This ignores all potential legal issues and my personal opinions on money and the romhacking/emulation scene. ;)
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
magno
Rookie

Post by magno »

I've been translating "Tales of Phantasia" into spanish (Castillian Spanish, actually) since 2002, and even though I had DarkForce utilities which helped me a lot, I still had to do almost the same asm work DF did to better suit text in the game. I also translated the whole script by myself, putting almost 2 hours a day.... Now it is 2005 and NOW is when I am about to finish it...

Do you really expect somebody to do a complete translation (good translation) from scratch in a month or two, without help, without motivation and for a miserable 500 USD?? Thats is the third of what I earn per month and i do fourth the work I would have to do to translate a game....