Issue with Dragon Quest V Translation and Snes9x 1.43

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

Phoenix10k

Issue with Dragon Quest V Translation and Snes9x 1.43

Post by Phoenix10k »

I feel odd talking about Snes9x on a ZSNES owned board, but anyway...

In Snes9x 1.39, the rom loads normally (translation patch and all). However, attempting to load it in 1.43 results in a black screen and no way to advance it. I've used their restore function, and no luck. I went back to 1.39 and it worked fine again.

This is one of the translation patches that adds a DeJap intro screen to the rom pre-load. The screen and subsequent "Press Start To Play" work just fine in 1.39. In 1.43, the screen never appears and pressing start does not advance to the game.

Any ideas? I suppose I can keep 1.39 around for DQ5, and just use 1.43 for Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia. Excellent work on those two games, btw.

EDIT>> Almost forgot, the untranslated DQ5 rom loads just fine, which is why I believe the issue may be the intro screen the programmers added.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Did you try posting this at the SNES9X forum?
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Post the rom info. Check to make sure that the checksum is ok.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Phoenix10k

Post by Phoenix10k »

snkcube: I haven't yet, I didn't think they'd give support for a patched rom.

GOATSnEs: The checksum is invalid, but patching a rom will always do that in my experience. The original untranslated rom has the correct checksum.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Doesn't work for me either in Snes9x 1.43.

ZSNES works fine with it.
Phoenix10k

Post by Phoenix10k »

I strongly dislike ZSnes' UI (it seems almost counter-intuitive), so I prefer not to use it. I've just decided to keep Snes9X 1.39 around for DQ5, and deal with it.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

The Snes9x 1.43 GUI isn't particularly great either. The Load dialog is non-standard and lags like hell if you have 100 or so roms, the resolution selector is awkward with the pointless test thing and to top it off, it doesn't support the XPTheme by default.

Just because Snes9x has a GUI which resembles a standard GUI, does not make it a better emulator than ZSNES which has better compatibility, sound, video (with no borders), features, netplay, uses less specific game hacks, is updated more often (in terms of WIP updates), supports hardware bilinear filtering, and has the CVS freely available to everyone. ZSNES is getting a standard GUI in the future, so I guess it'll please people who cannot be bothered to use a simple non-standard GUI.
ThunderClaw
I know where you live.

Post by ThunderClaw »

I confirm the issue in SNES9x with a good ROM. ZSNES works fine.
FireKnight:I'm pretty sure a 1KG 24k gold brick costs less than that.

phonymike: well the same amount of raw metals used in a car costs a fraction of the price of a new car idiot. I'm gonna take away your posting privileges and replace them with my balls on your chin.

I smell spray paint.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Well, I had a few minutes to spare, and I was hoping to find an interesting corner case in emulation, but it turned out to just be something minor. Oh well. I'll submit the appropriate bugfix info to the snes9x team. In the meantime:

<removed>

You can download the above file, and check out readme.txt. Or if you're too lazy to read that file, apply dq5.ips *op top* of the translated dejap dq5 ROM, and it'll work on snes9x 1.43.

Note the /temp/ in the above URL! I'm not keeping this on my server for more than a week or so. I'd appreciate it if someone mirrored it for me.

EDIT: File removed as stated. Since it wasn't mirrored, here's the hex equivalent of the file. If you know how to use a hex editor, great. If not, oh well. Please don't ask me for the file. Problem is fixed in the new snes9x, so wait until then.

17 bytes <dq5.ips>

Code: Select all

50 41 54 43 48 1F 88 01 00 04 18 FB 4B AB 45 4F 46