ok, i need help

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

veryconfused

ok, i need help

Post by veryconfused »

i'm having trouble running the rom for star ocean, i tried to do everything that the readme document says, but it's a little confusing for me...
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Does the ROM have a good checksum ? Use NSRT (see sig) to verify, and report back.

Starting with ZSnes v1.4, SDD-1 graphics packs are not needed anymore to run Star Ocean. May I also suggest to grab the latest ZSnes WIP (again, see sig) and report back.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

1. Get a clean, (J) version of the game.
2. use the latest ZSNES so you don't have to worry about the S-DD1 graphics packs.
3. Put the english patch (.ips) in the same folder where your saves go.
4. Start ZSNES and Star Ocean.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Actually, I just thought of this one:

Are you trying to run the *.ips file for Star Ocean as the ROM ?

If so, that's not the real ROM image of it, that is just a file that applies the translation of Star Ocean onto the ROM. Like Agozer said, find the clean (J) [!] image of Star Ocean. Don't ask where, it's the #1 rule on the board.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
veryconfused

Post by veryconfused »

my computer must be the problem... the star ocean file is showing .zip, do i have to extract it first? i have the latest zsnes, and the file is in the save thing, and all the screen says is checksum: fail

i wish i knew more about computers :(
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

This is what I figured... but just in case:

Use a program which zips and unzips files (eg: WinZIP, WinRAR, 7z, the built-in Windows XP zip tool, BitZipper, etc), and report back the files in it.

I'm 90% sure that it's because you're trying to just load the *.ips of star ocean in ZSnes. As I've said before, the ips applies the translation to the Star Ocean ROM. You will need to get a clean (J) [!] Star Ocean ROM image. Don't ask where, it's against the board rules.
NSRT here.
veryconfused

Post by veryconfused »

so if i get the other one i found that worked before, but wasn't fully translated, will the one i have right now change it so it's fully translated?
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

veryconfused wrote:so if i get the other one i found that worked before, but wasn't fully translated, will the one i have right now change it so it's fully translated?
It depends on what you mean by "fully translated".

Try to look for a CLEAN (J) rom. Before using the patch, run it on zsnes, if it's checksum is "good" then it's a clean rom.

Edit: Oh, nevermind then.
Last edited by Joe Camacho on Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
veryconfused

Post by veryconfused »

ok, i got it to work :D i finally understand what all of you are talking about, i never knew it was so simple... thanks for the help :D
veryconfused

Post by veryconfused »

although, i still have one question... the rom works good and everything, but i noticed the checksum still says fail, anyone know why it says that?
"you see, that's all it takes... is for a man to make an effort to be, affective... and if your not affective... then your defective"
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

When you use a patch, the checksum becomes "fail" if it was good before the patch, there is no need to worry.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
veryconfused

Post by veryconfused »

ok, thanks, i was wondering what that was, i had that on some other games too, and i thought i did something wrong
"you see, that's all it takes... is for a man to make an effort to be, affective... and if your not affective... then your defective"
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Joe Camacho wrote:When you use a patch, the checksum becomes "fail" if it was good before the patch, there is no need to worry.
The checksum fails only if the rom has been hardpatched. When you softpatch, ZSNES checks the checksum from the rom image, which is still good, and then applies the IPS data.

Now if the checksum fails even if one used softpatching, the the rom image is bad.
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

veryconfused wrote:ok, i got it to work :D i finally understand what all of you are talking about, i never knew it was so simple... thanks for the help :D
That's what we're here for, man.

Glad to help :)
NSRT here.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Agozer wrote:The checksum fails only if the rom has been hardpatched. When you softpatch, ZSNES checks the checksum from the rom image, which is still good, and then applies the IPS data.

Now if the checksum fails even if one used softpatching, the the rom image is bad.
Please, please. Get your stuff right.

Softpatching is executed before the checksum is verified - it will yield the same results as hardpatching.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

grinvader wrote:
Agozer wrote:The checksum fails only if the rom has been hardpatched. When you softpatch, ZSNES checks the checksum from the rom image, which is still good, and then applies the IPS data.

Please, please. Get your stuff right.

Softpatching is executed before the checksum is verified - it will yield the same results as hardpatching.
Hm. That's not what I've read... on this board anyway. Oh well, thanks for clearing it.