Star Ocean * in savegame

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

Dakiar

Star Ocean * in savegame

Post by Dakiar »

I'm at the end, and I've got a * next to my savegame, does it mean I can start a new game + or some such, or what is the point of this star?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: Star Ocean * in savegame

Post by grinvader »

It means you finished the game with that save. This unlocks a special, challenging dungeon somewhere in the game, and also gives you the possibility to return to Roak from Fargett.

Try to use a special skill that is related to the game's developpers. The more it's trained, the more devs you can talk to.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Dakiar

Post by Dakiar »

Thank you! :)
lockharte
Regular

Post by lockharte »

is it possible to revive dorn with the new unlocked features?
Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

No.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Revive ? He never dies... Have you been paying attention to the main quest's goal ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
shin_90

can't solve this game

Post by shin_90 »

When I arrive at trial labyrith I solve this mystery [oxoooxx from where the sun rises] some body help me please . :oops: :?:
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

I haven't played that game in a long time, but I remember that there was some info about that in the readme of the patch.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I was always baffled by how dense one must be not to understand that hint.

But I got thinking after playing several playstation games. In japanese, the default controls are:
O = 'yup'
X = 'nope'
All japanese games use these (and in the SNES times, A was accept and B cancel, same positions - sony ripped the 4-face buttons controller from nintendo, after all).
Also, some japanese games use:
[] = square window shape -> 'menu'
/_\ = arrow shape -> 'back'

And what did they do in the US ? Inverted O with X (so X means yes, and O no, which totally makes sense), and square with triangle.

Now of course if some US engineers, game devs, and gamers are as symbolically challenged as that, I can easily see how this hint could be totally obscure.
I'm no Skyrender - I don't think bitching at every little detail lost in localisation is good - but this is one major gripe I always had.

</rant>

Edit: btw, if you didn't get the clue from the rant: O == yes, X == no. The sun rises at the EAST. In Star Ocean east is always at the right of the screen.
If this isn't clear enough you're obviously lacking several brain functions needed to play RPGs, and you should cease all pulmonary activity immediately to prevent further genepool tainting.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

Except that Star Ocean came out before the PlayStation did, so I doubt it was referencing PSX controllers. 8p Generally O means "yes" and X means no - for example, the icons on the items have O for a usable item and X for an unusable one.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

The inverted X and O functions are especially confusing when using a US PPSP with emulators, homebrew, and Japanese games (again, I don't know why I bother bypassing the word filter). The SNES functions made even more sense:

A- Accept/Advance
B- Back/Cancel
shin_90

Parj Inner Santrum

Post by shin_90 »

How I want to enter the 4 letters at Parj Inner Sanctrum :?:
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

We're not gamefaqs.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Cidolfas wrote:Except that Star Ocean came out before the PlayStation did, so I doubt it was referencing PSX controllers.
I know that.
The PS pad was just what got me thinking about how someone can miss what O/X means.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Marshall Banana

Post by Marshall Banana »

You jerks have know idea how stuck i was in The Future with XABIE :( God days i toiled over that puzzle with my feeble young mind. I had a dream about it at one point.

I also got stuck in FF6, back when it was somewhat new. I rented it and had no manual, so i have a valid reason for not being able to Blitz :(
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Marshall Banana wrote:You jerks have know idea how stuck i was in The Future with XABIE :( God days i toiled over that puzzle with my feeble young mind. I had a dream about it at one point.

I also got stuck in FF6, back when it was somewhat new. I rented it and had no manual, so i have a valid reason for not being able to Blitz :(
http://gamefaqs.com
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Marshall Banana wrote:You jerks have know idea how stuck i was in The Future with XABIE :( God days i toiled over that puzzle with my feeble young mind. I had a dream about it at one point.

OT WTF brought this on?