Is it true that TOP is the sequel to SO for the snes?

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

Sanehouse

Post by Sanehouse »

No. Tales of Phantasia was created by Namco, and Star Ocean was created by Tri-Ace (atleast the third one was. I assume they were all made by the same company). Also, on many websites that have information on RPG games, you will see "Tales Series" and "Star Ocean" listed seperately.
Louis Cypher
Devil Summoner

Post by Louis Cypher »

That's not strictly correct. Tri-Ace did develop Star Ocean, as well as Valkyrie Profile and Radiata Stories, but before they were called Tri-Ace they were called Wolfteam. Wolfteam developed a number of titles for the SNES and PC-98, and were eventually commissioned by Namco to create Tales of Phantasia. Once the project was complete they moved on and were hired by Enix under the Tri-Ace label to produce Star Ocean.

The reason ToP and SO seem so similar is thus because they shared the same dev team. The games reuse some code, some graphics, some instrument samples; the music composer is the same, a lot of the designers were the same. They were, basically, the same company under a different name. This does not mean that ToP and SO are at all related insofar as plot progression is concerned, however - although they do bear similarities as a result of their shared developers, they are very much entirely separate games.
[url=http://agtp.romhack.net]Aeon Genesis ~ We eat ham and jam and spam-alot[/url]
Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

Although both the Tales and Star Ocean series seems to have a propensity for time travel and one scene where a really big cannon hits a lot of monsters.
Louis Cypher
Devil Summoner

Post by Louis Cypher »

The same could be said of FF8 :p
[url=http://agtp.romhack.net]Aeon Genesis ~ We eat ham and jam and spam-alot[/url]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Cidolfas wrote:a really big cannon hits a lot of monsters.
I can't remember any event like this in SO1... Did I forget it ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

No, there isn't one in SO1, but there is that scene in ToP, ToD, and SO2 and possibly more (I haven't played SOBS or most of the other Tales offerings).
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Cidolfas wrote:No, there isn't one in SO1, but there is that scene in ToP, ToD, and SO2 and possibly more (I haven't played SOBS or most of the other Tales offerings).
There is also a big cannon in Tales of Symphonia.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

In ToE too (assault on Balir's castle).
And there's also 'something' shooting a lot of monsters in SO3...
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

There's Aquaria's energy whatever cannon in SO3 that they end up using to shoot at a Vendeeni battleship...I don't remember if they fired it at the invading army, but I'd assume so.
Everything I say is a lie.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Oblivion wrote:There's Aquaria's energy whatever cannon in SO3 that they end up using to shoot at a Vendeeni battleship...I don't remember if they fired it at the invading army, but I'd assume so.
If you don't remember, there's another thing shooting at the vendeeni ships, with fairly more efficiency.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

I remember for sure that Fayt blasted one into nothingness, I don't recall if the hugeass energy pulses headed for Earth hit them as well. Judging from your comment, the latter?
Everything I say is a lie.
Silver hybrid

Post by Silver hybrid »

Clements wrote:
Cidolfas wrote:No, there isn't one in SO1, but there is that scene in ToP, ToD, and SO2 and possibly more (I haven't played SOBS or most of the other Tales offerings).
There is also a big cannon in Tales of Symphonia.
it was actualy the same cannon as in tales of phantasia, symphonia was made as a distant prequel. in phantasia that is the mana cannon rebuilt.