Dejap Translations & Title Screen Destruction.

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

Zophar

Dejap Translations & Title Screen Destruction.

Post by Zophar »

Ok, I just found the Dejap translations because of Ys Complete by Nightwolf or whatever his handle is. I like his stuff but the Dejap is kinda bugging me... this Bahumat Lagoon or whatever looks like it would fun to play but the modification to the title screen makes me feel that it's like playing a game hacked up unprofessionally so bad I can barely resist the urge to delete it again. I'd really like to know how to remove the custom graphics on the title screen so that only the good work is left. Those graphics look to much like something you would find in a mario world rom hack made by some bored drug user to entertain himself. Don't get me wrong... I like the fact they took the time to translate it bu there's just somethings I just can't stand... this is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. So I'd like to just remove it from my copy (no distro of it) but if I can't I'll probably just end up deleting it.
spoon0042
Rookie

Post by spoon0042 »

:shock:

http://www.romhacking.net/ ?

I'm debating whether or not it's worth digging up my copy of this to see what the hell it is you're complaining about.

Nope.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: Dejap Translations & Title Screen Destruction.

Post by grinvader »

Zophar wrote:Bahumat
WAT UP WITH IT
spoon0042 wrote:what the hell it is you're complaining about.
He's complaining about the authors' logos on top here:

Which is stupid. You spend around 10 seconds on the title screen, and if you can't stand it, don't use the patch.

End of story.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

And we mind that you won't play it.. Because?
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

What's up with your domain btw? :o
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

It's no different than the constant barrage of logos that pop up on every single game on the face of the earth (see e.g. Star Ocean 2 or Kingdom Hearts). It's just that this way all the logos are on one screen. And DeJap probably put in as much work as any of those sub-logos on the other games, so I see no reason for them *not* to have their logo displayed on the title screen.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

This is just silly. I agree with Cidolfas. If you don't want to play the translation because of the logos, then fine. That's your choice.

As a fellow translation hacker, I can say I really don't care what anyone thinks. After taking several YEARS of hard work to translate a game, sticking your logo in there to make sure people know who did this for you is par for the course. Deal with it or don't play it.

Now.. to be helpful, if you want to remove it yourself, I would go to:

http://www.romhacking.net/start/

You can start learning there. Then you need to find the title screen graphics which may or may not be compressed which is a whole 'nother level of complication. Have fun.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

And might I add that it's actually quite brazen to come to DeJap's *own* forum and ask to remove the evidence that they worked on the game.
Louis Cypher
Devil Summoner

Post by Louis Cypher »

I am of mixed opinion on stuff like this. On one hand, I certainly agree that hackers have every right to embed a logo of theirs (or something similar) into a game they've hacked. On the other, I can certainly see what this poster's talking about; the placement of the logos on the title screen screams "I hacked this game, bitch!"

As a romhacker who prides himself on creating professional-looking work, I can sympathize with both sides of this argument. My solution is generally to leave the title screen as it is and add to the game's end credits; further, I've added an intro to Treasure of the Rudras (the new version of which will be out on July 4, btw) which simply displays this unassuming graphic as the game starts up. It was designed specifically to combat both of these issues - on the one hand, it's my logo and grants me credit for the translation, but on the other it's quiet, unassuming, and looks like it could easily belong in the original game. I've even timed it so that its fade speed and on-screen time approximately match the Squaresoft logo that follows it. The result is something that looks like it belongs there, yet still gives credit where credit is due.
[url=http://agtp.romhack.net]Aeon Genesis ~ We eat ham and jam and spam-alot[/url]
Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

True, that way would be a bit more professional and more accurately reflect the way logos generally happen in games. Having said that, I personally can't stand the procession of logos that accompanies games today... I timed Kingdom Hearts from the moment I turn on the PS2 until I actually start moving my character, and it's almost a full minute. -_-
Tomato
Hazed

Post by Tomato »

Wow, haven't been around here in a while.

Anyway, main reason we put that on there was actually because we were really worried people would pirate the translation/sell it for money in other parts of the world, so DF suggested this so that people would at least know it was freely available.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Personally, I always liked the Der Langrisser title screen more :

</troll> :D
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

byuu wrote:Personally, I always liked the Der Langrisser title screen more :

</troll> :D
It's beautiful.
creaothceann
Seen it all