Dumping text from a rom

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

mnk
Rookie

Dumping text from a rom

Post by mnk »

Could you point me to guides and tools for dumping text from a rom ?
Important: I'm looking for tools for linux and prefer non-qt ones. Also I'd like ones with little dependencies - so no mono or whatever (python/perl would be fine, I think, but wxwidgets - no). And the rom is japanese.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
mnk
Rookie

Post by mnk »

One problem: none of the unix tools from that place (all SIX of them) support relative search.
thewanderer
Rookie

Post by thewanderer »

Some of the non-Linux programs out there run just fine in DOSbox or Wine; I know that that includes at least one relative-search program, because I use it myself. (I also wound up writing a relative-search program of my own, which is fairly clunky and has several weaknesses but helps fill in the gaps.)

I do my text dumping (etc.) with a combination of my own relative-search program, Relative Searcher 2.5 (by Griffin Knodle) under Wine, Hexposure under DOSbox, and the utterly indispensable (if closed-source, occasionally buggy, and somewhat crash-prone) patchrom. All of these except the first are available via romhacking.net, and it all works very well for what it is.

Actual translation, and the supporting ASM hacking, are more complicated issues - in fact I'm almost at the point of throwing up my hands and asking for help on the project which is my most advanced to date, simply because I don't see how to even begin to make further progress alone. If, however, you don't care about technical issues (like ROM expansion and VWF) and/or don't care deeply about accurate and complete translation, those tools should be more than enough to get you by.