Help with Emulators and Stuff...

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Chikz_13

Help with Emulators and Stuff...

Post by Chikz_13 »

Sorry to bother with a lame question...but,

I'm new to the whole emulator, ROM, downloading translated games from websites stuff and I really would like to get the Star Ocean game.

First of all...what do I do and what do I need?

If a very helpful person out there is nice enough to list these things for me their help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

You need an emulator and the Star Ocean ROM. We won't tell you where to download the game. Ever. Please read the board rules as well.

Using the emulator itself is covered in the emulator's documentation. If you have any further questions about using a particular emulator (be that ZSNES, Snes9x, etc) after reading the documentation, feel free to ask.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

I would suggest if you wanna patch it (or any game) fusoya has a simple patcher , or ZSNES can load the patch

Should all be in the docs
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ReRuss/UBAR.gif[/img]
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

it's always better to let ZSNES autopatch the ROM
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
invisoman_5000

help with key configuration

Post by invisoman_5000 »

Ok so i get my emulator goin and start playing Chrono Trigger and can figure out that the L and R buttons are on my keyboard..... it sucks because i cant continue to play the game unless i know the keys.

Please help..
thanks
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

there is info on this elsewhere but I'm slack to look it up.

basically you can configure the SNES buttons to any keys you want on the keyboard in the menu of your emulator.

in the scene you are talking about though it needs you to press 3 keys at the same time which keyboards don't allow, so for that scene you'll need to configure all three button to the same keyboard key, do it, and then configure them back to whatever you want.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Panzer88 wrote:in the scene you are talking about though it needs you to press 3 keys at the same time which some keyboards don't allow, so for that scene you'll need to configure all three button to the same keyboard key, do it, and then configure them back to whatever you want.
:roll:
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

I actually was going to say that, really, but then I decided to not, simply to keep it simple.

f that even makes sense?
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Ciould re-correct him to specify most keyboards, and get into the various matrixing issues that make SOME key combinations work but not others, and how you can have ctrl-alt-shift-anything else, but not ASX.

But that all needlessly complicates the issue. Point is, it don't work on 99% of keyboards using the default control mapping.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Ciould re-correct him to specify most keyboards, and get into the various matrixing issues that make SOME key combinations work but not others, and how you can have ctrl-alt-shift-anything else, but not ASX.

But that all needlessly complicates the issue. Point is, it don't work on 99% of keyboards using the default control mapping.
Yet if it were changed, people will still complain because "they reconfigured the keys". Really, it is a losing proposition.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

yeah, but what I can't figure out is how people can't figure out how to configure their controls?
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

the program itself doesn't tell them they can.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

it should say in giant letters to "READ THE README.TXT FILE" and of course let this message be disabled in the CFG file.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Deathlike2 wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Ciould re-correct him to specify most keyboards, and get into the various matrixing issues that make SOME key combinations work but not others, and how you can have ctrl-alt-shift-anything else, but not ASX.

Yet if it were changed, people will still complain because "they reconfigured the keys". Really, it is a losing proposition.
True.
I wasn't proposing a change. Just shooting for accuracy in my statement.

Besides, on a modern keyboard, ctrl and alt aren't very good gameplay buttons. The win key makes for some unpleasant excitement.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

funkyass wrote:the program itself doesn't tell them they can.
nice, you'd think people would take SOME ingenuity, a computer game doesn't tell you that you can change the keys but if you go to the menu it's not that hard, or if you read the manual, but I guess we're expecting the worst with these kinds anyhow.

@Gil, yeah I can't use the ctrl or alt keys, when I use a keyboard it's

V=A
C=B
X=Y
Z=X
F=L
D=START
S=SELECT
A=R

I also use the numpad with diagonals for directions rather than the arrow keys.

I know, I'm strange
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Panzer88 wrote:
nice, you'd think people would take SOME ingenuity, a computer game doesn't tell you that you can change the keys but if you go to the menu it's not that hard, or if you read the manual, but I guess we're expecting the worst with these kinds anyhow.

@Gil, yeah I can't use the ctrl or alt keys, when I use a keyboard it's

V=A
C=B
X=Y
Z=X
F=L
D=START
S=SELECT
A=R

I know, I'm strange
Yeah.... I just don't use a keyboard for anything but Asteroids.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Panzer88 wrote:
when I use a keyboard it's

V=A
C=B
X=Y
Z=X
F=L
D=START
S=SELECT
A=R

I know, I'm strange
Yeah.... I just don't use a keyboard for anything but Asteroids.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

If I had a penny for the amount of times people have asked in the PJ64 forum 'Which keys are the C-Buttons' or similar, I'd be pretty wealthy. They can't be arsed to actually experiment with the program at all, let alone read any documentation.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Besides, on a modern keyboard, ctrl and alt aren't very good gameplay buttons. The win key makes for some unpleasant excitement.
It should be called the lose key. If that key were configurable within Windows, its putrid existance would not be so bad
Clements wrote:If I had a penny for the amount of times people have asked in the PJ64 forum 'Which keys are the C-Buttons' or similar, I'd be pretty wealthy. They can't be arsed to actually experiment with the program at all, let alone read any documentation.
Does teh circle butan mean confirm, deny, or wtf???
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

Maybe zsnes needs to have a little helper bot to ease the morons' transition into actually using a computer program. Instead of a paper clip, we'd use a Super Nintendo controller, obviously.

or the OP can just save us all some trouble and drown himself for being so stupid. can't have that propagating itself in the gene pool. goodness knows it dilute enough as it is.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

sweener2001 wrote:Maybe zsnes needs to have a little helper bot to ease the morons' transition into actually using a computer program. Instead of a paper clip, we'd use a Super Nintendo controller, obviously.

or the OP can just save us all some trouble and drown himself for being so stupid. can't have that propagating itself in the gene pool. goodness knows it dilute enough as it is.
oh God no, why not just have an 10 question IQ test at the beginning that everyone above a 50 IQ could pass.[/sarcasm]
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Panzer88 wrote: @Gil, yeah I can't use the ctrl or alt keys, when I use a keyboard it's

V=A
C=B
X=Y
Z=X
F=L
D=START
S=SELECT
A=R
I noticed you reversed you L and R.
Back when I used a keyboard for ZSNES I reversed my L and R because of Street fighter 2 turbo, I had gotten used to my hard kick button being before my hard punch button, so for some reason, instead of configuring it that way inside the game, I just reversed it on the keyboard.
So why did you reverse yours?
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

it was a typo actually, but I did use it backwards for awhile and got used to it in super metroid, when I realized it was backwards though I just switched the controls in super metroid.

apparently I'm still remembering it backwards because of that though.
Chikz_13

hmmm...

Post by Chikz_13 »

Wow...okay...you guys really got off topic there and nothing any of you said helped me...but anyways, I figured it all out and am now happily playing Star Ocean.
Thanks.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

The fact that you were asking people "where/how to get Star Ocean" would have been out of the question.. if you didn't even bother to read the rules.