My PS3 experience...

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Gonzo wrote:
I.S.T. wrote: The PS3 figures have been known to be bullshit for a while now. They're just based off of speculation. Dunno about the others.

That said, the thing must cost mroe than 300 to make still, given Sony said they're taking a loss even on the PS3 Slim.

That is, unless they're including R&D into their figures, and not making them public...
The thing that surprises me is te fact that they are selling their consoles cheaper then the manufacturig cost. Apart from Sony, has any other games console done this before?
Hmm, I figured that this would be common knowledge. Probably the only console maker since the 16-bit days that has sold their consoles for a profit is Nintendo. Even I doubt that for the Gamecube. The PS1 came out for $299, and I imagine even at that time it was more than it cost to make. Remember how the 3DO came out in 1993 and cost $799? That is probably closer to reality.

Let's face it, the PS3 was some high tech equipment when it came out. They had the price pegged at $600, thinking that their previous success and the hype would be enough for it to sell at that price, and minimize the losses for the actual cost of hardware. However, shortly after the launch, the hype died hard, and within a month, you could buy the console for less than the launch price on ebay (compared to the thousands it was going for just for the preorders). The problem with Sony was that everyone was buying the console to flip it for a profit, and in the end no one was buying games for it. They ended up lowering the price faster than any manufacturer has ever for a console after launch.

The manufacturing costs have come down significantly for the PS3, and the have removed many features that were in the launch version. It is likely that the price of the console is not that far off the manufacturing cost. And you know what? Most of the features that they removed (ie backwards compatibility, Linux) are things that the general consumer doesn't give two shits about.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

ReRuss wrote:
Neo Kaiser wrote:That's the problem if a console gets damaged after using it for a while after making a account. Did you bought something from the PSN Store?
I was trying to download some video they had for free and hit the activation snag...
Well at least you could make another e-mail and create another account if Sony don't do anything. Now If you had games from the PSN store then you will be fucked up if Sony could not deactivate it. because you will only have 3 spaces left instead of 4. It's troublesome if you want to game share other wise is not that important.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

Neo Kaiser wrote:
ReRuss wrote:
Neo Kaiser wrote:That's the problem if a console gets damaged after using it for a while after making a account. Did you bought something from the PSN Store?
I was trying to download some video they had for free and hit the activation snag...
Well at least you could make another e-mail and create another account if Sony don't do anything. Now If you had games from the PSN store then you will be fucked up if Sony could not deactivate it. because you will only have 3 spaces left instead of 4. It's troublesome if you want to game share other wise is not that important.
I called them and talked to a lady, PSN people were out for the weekend... then I called back, gave em a reference number, and in a min or two they knocked the old one off... They still need an online option to deactivate consoles IMO...
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ReRuss/UBAR.gif[/img]
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

ReRuss wrote:
Neo Kaiser wrote:
ReRuss wrote:
I called them and talked to a lady, PSN people were out for the weekend... then I called back, gave em a reference number, and in a min or two they knocked the old one off... They still need an online option to deactivate consoles IMO...
I have to do that with my nephew account because the little dumbass share he's account with 2 friends and one unknown person online. One of the leaked the account to a even unknown person. Kids these days... I do hope that you can solve your problem.
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

badinsults wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
I.S.T. wrote: The PS3 figures have been known to be bullshit for a while now. They're just based off of speculation. Dunno about the others.

That said, the thing must cost mroe than 300 to make still, given Sony said they're taking a loss even on the PS3 Slim.

That is, unless they're including R&D into their figures, and not making them public...
The thing that surprises me is te fact that they are selling their consoles cheaper then the manufacturig cost. Apart from Sony, has any other games console done this before?
Hmm, I figured that this would be common knowledge.
<shrugs> I guess it's something I never really thought about before.
I always just sort of assumed that the manufacturing cost of consoles was always less than the retail price.
And I never checked the actual manufacturing prices before, because I never had a reason to.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

It varies. Like I said before, Nintendo has a policy of making money off of each console. Sony made losses off of the PS1 and PS2 at first, but eventually began to make shitloads of cash off of the consoles themselves. The PS3 was a fuckin' bitch due to the Cell, the Blu-Ray drive(Which was brand fucking new at the time...), and other factors.
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

Yea they fixed my issue no sweat... and they never even asked if I bought the console new or anything...
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote:It varies. Like I said before, Nintendo has a policy of making money off of each console. Sony made losses off of the PS1 and PS2 at first, but eventually began to make shitloads of cash off of the consoles themselves.
Actually, we're ASSUMING they took losses on the PS1. It was cheaper hardware than the Saturn. We know the Saturn INITIALLY retailed at a profit(in the US, and it's US launch price was about half it's J launch price), and was cut to below-profit once the price war began.
The PS3 was a fuckin' bitch due to the Cell, the Blu-Ray drive(Which was brand fucking new at the time...), and other factors.
Cell is the big one, if I had to guess.
The price breakdowns I've seen generally assume Sony is paying retail costs for a BD-ROM drive.

Most of this is speculation.
We KNOW Nintendo turns profits on every sale, be it hardware or software, and always has.
We KNOW the Saturn was sold below-cost at one point during the price war.
We KNOW the PS3 launched below-cost.

Beyond that, it's educated guesses.
Manufacturers are generally loathe to state how much they're actually losing/making per unit.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

How about just continuously offer a model for $100 more that includes PS2 hardware? Seems like an obvious move to me, but they'd rather peck away on things people REALLY don't care about, like Home.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

FitzRoy wrote:How about just continuously offer a model for $100 more that includes PS2 hardware?
Then people will complain that PS2 hardware should be there in the first place and blah blah blah. I think Sony should focus on making some profits first.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Except the original way the PS3 did PS2 BC was just by including two chips, and emulating the rest of it. They could easily do that, charge 100 more and make more money than they would off of the normal model.
Killa B
♥ Love Freak FlonneZilla ♥

Post by Killa B »

Wouldn't that make it a PS2-2 or something? :D
User Error: Please replace user
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Killa B wrote:Wouldn't that make it a PS2-2 or something? :D
moar lik PS3: BC Edition.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

snkcube wrote:
FitzRoy wrote:How about just continuously offer a model for $100 more that includes PS2 hardware?
Then people will complain that PS2 hardware should be there in the first place and blah blah blah.
It WAS there in the first place.
And really, Sony brought this bitchfest on themselves.

They made SUCH a big deal about it, going back to the pre-launch pissing contests.
"Oh, what's that Microsoft? The XBox 360 won't run any of the old XBox games? Well, the PLAYSTATION THREE WILL RUN EVERY SINGLE PS TWO GAME EVER NEENER NEENER NEENER!"

Hell, the PS3 BC is the only reason MS MADE the XBox 1 emulator.

Sony made BC an issue, then ripped it out.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Or a Jasper model. *shrug*
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
snkcube wrote:
Then people will complain that PS2 hardware should be there in the first place and blah blah blah.
It WAS there in the first place.
And really, Sony brought this bitchfest on themselves.
I know that. The wording of my sentence wasn't what I really wanted to say.
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

Could call it the PS3 Combo....
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

ReRuss wrote:Could call it the PS3 Combo....
PS3 Super Value Meal: with PS2 compatibility, a free game, fries, and a drink.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

It's too bad that the PC PS2 emulators are no strong yet...
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

The PC-based PS2 emulators? (read: plural)

Isn't PCSX2 pretty much the only one?
As for full hardware PS2 compatibility on the PS3, I can never quite understand why people get such a big hard-on over this. An actual PS2 is much better, and the older PS3's that support it are quite expensive wherever I check, given it's rarity.

My PS2 can play any games of my choosing; genuine, backups, imports, and homebrew. IIRC, there are still no modchips for the PS3. And if they existed, I would imagine that the first generation chips would only have support for PS3 games, and not PS2 (especially since newer models don't have PS2 compatibility, and most people have these older models as opposed to the old one; if such a PS3 modchip existed that could support PS2 games, it would cater to a much smaller audience as opposed to most PS3 owners -> so no PS3 modchip would ever exist with PS2 compatibility).

That's why I recommended the PS3 Slim; smaller, quieter, cooler, cheaper, better... simpler. Also, SACD? Isn't that supposed to be some super-man version of the Audio CD? I've never used the format as far as I know, and likewise I know of no other that uses it.

Also, the Jasper models of the 360 are reported to not break down at all, right? As far as I know, it's failure rate is now close to 1%. At least, this is what appear to be the case. My 360 certainly seems to run at quite cool temperatures in any case.

*edited for typos*
Last edited by lordmissus on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

anything that lets me consolidate space up front is highly appreciated, even more so if it doesn't have a clamshell disc tray.

i very much value and use the bc in my ps3.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

lordmister wrote:As for full hardware PS2 compatibility on the PS3, I can never quite understand why people get such a big hard-on over this. An actual PS2 is much better, and the older PS3's that support it are quite expensive wherever I check, given it's rarity.
If you think about it, Sony is currently the only company without BC in their system. At least MS has some form of BC, even though it is through emulation. You can probably see why a lot of people are pissed, given that BC is mostly a standard this gen.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

lordmister wrote:Also, SACD? Isn't that supposed to be some super-man version of the Audio CD? I've never used the format as far as I know, and likewise I know of no other that uses it.
Yeah, the mainstream doesn't give a damn. They've gone from CD to MP3 downloads.
It's only the audiophiles that care about it.

And DVD-Audio is a better format anyways. But there's some stuff only available in SACD.
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

odditude wrote:anything that lets me consolidate space up front is highly appreciated, even more so if it doesn't have a clamshell disc tray.

i very much value and use the bc in my ps3.
Ok I don't want a PS2 added to my current setup...

I currently have a Wii, 360, PS3, Xbox 1, Dreamcast, Gamecube , and my surround receiver

Note the Xbox 1 is modded and mainly used for XBMC
Gamecube is tucked away behind my Wii and conrollers for PS3/360 and some game stuff...
Dreamcast soon to be hooked up via s-vid

I don't have that many games for PS2 thus I don't want a PS2 on my setup running composite and looking like ass... a PS3 which has HDMI, upscaling, PS2/PS1 support, AND allows me to play PS3 exclusives is a much better idea...

I know a PS2 could be modded, but the only use TO ME with it is burned PS2 games, but for the small number of games I liked on PS2 it's not worth it, everything else I can do on Xbox 1...

Now I have wanted one of those PS2 decks for a car but I dont see those too often anymore lmao
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

lordmister wrote:The PC-based PS2 emulators? (read: plural)

Isn't PCSX2 pretty much the only one?
As for full hardware PS2 compatibility on the PS3, I can never quite understand why people get such a big hard-on over this.
Because the PS2 still occupies physical space and they want less cables and stuff on their home.