i'm scared again

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

i'm scared again

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Okay, so for a while now, people have been able to inject Snes, N64, etc games into Wad files and playing in their wiis. Notably, games like Earthbound and Final Fabtasy VI, neither of which have a snowball's chance in Hell of ever being released. Now, I also know that for Snes games, typically Donkey Kong Country 2.wad and its banner are used (i.e. FFVI loads, but has the DKC2 logo). There are risks involved, especially if the wrong dimensions are used for the banner, like getting a bricked wii. What would be a safe way to injecting? . I know there are emulators, but VC games are the only way for me to get perfect sound on the Wii.
Last edited by nintendo_nerd on Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

http://www.nes-hacks.com/auto-injectuwa ... tor-v3/27/

It never worked for me though, my Wii was downgraded from v4.0.0. Likely works if you don't do that :P

I've since stopped caring and just updated back to v4.1 or whatever the latest was, now the wii's updater fails to detect updates forcing me to continue to use 3rd party tools (NUSD + Waninkoko WAD Installer) to keep the system up to date (including things like the Shop channel)
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

I should install BootMii in the event that WADs brick the wii. This program supposedly makes the wii nearly impossible to ruin, or so it claims. Though I'd probably okay as long as it matched the NTSC region, right?
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

its your Wii.

sacrifice it for greater good.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Killa B
♥ Love Freak FlonneZilla ♥

Re: VC Wad injection

Post by Killa B »

nintendo_nerd wrote:(And yes, I legally own both the WADs and the ROM files, BTW)
explain
User Error: Please replace user
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

For the most part, is doing so relatively safe (both bootmii and wads)? I mean aside from power failures, that is.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

nintendo_nerd wrote:(And yes, I legally own both the WADs and the ROM files, BTW).
Given you haven't started a thread asking how to connect your copier to dump games, I doubt that.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:(And yes, I legally own both the WADs and the ROM files, BTW).
Given you haven't started a thread asking how to connect your copier to dump games, I doubt that.
hahahahaha

That was fucking hilarious :D

And Nintendo_nerd, can you resize your avatar, its oversized fuglyness is giving me nightmares.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

What I was trying to find out is, how much of risk does someone have when uploading WADs with the respective region? Geez, I can't so much as ask a simple question without getting my head bitten off, but whatever.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

There's no problem with injecting the wrong region ROM so long as the WAD is the right region. Of course the game may run at the wrong speed or display garbage/crash the Wii but nothing permanent.

at least not permanent for me so far :P

I would install BootMii as it is installed as software that loads before the system menu software. It allows you to restore your Wii System Memory (NAND) to a previous state (if a backup is available) in case of a faulty banner or something that crashes the System Menu.

BootMii by default will automatically load the System Menu so you won't perceive any difference once it is installed. You can bypass this automation by holding the Reset Button on the Wii while turning it on.

Afaik recently they added Wiimote support to BootMii?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

franpa wrote:There's no problem with injecting the wrong region ROM so long as the WAD is the right region. Of course the game may run at the wrong speed or display garbage/crash the Wii but nothing permanent.

at least not permanent for me so far :P

I would install BootMii as it is installed as software that loads before the system menu software. It allows you to restore your Wii System Memory (NAND) to a previous state (if a backup is available) in case of a faulty banner or something that crashes the System Menu.

BootMii by default will automatically load the System Menu so you won't perceive any difference once it is installed. You can bypass this automation by holding the Reset Button on the Wii while turning it on.

Is it more effective to install as IOS or boot2? I currently have two SD cards, one that has the HBC programs on it. The other SD card has pretty much nothing (almost 2GB free), and I believe it is formatted in FAT32, so installing BootMii shouldn't be a problem. Now, after it's installed, will I need to use the SD with BootMii every time I turn on the wii, or is it actually embedded in the NAND itself? Nice to be able to make a brick-proof wii, even if there is a small risk when installing BootMii. At last, I can finally play Earthbound!
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Install BootMii as whatever the HackMii installer recommends/defaults to. BootMii is installed to the NAND, not SD.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Well, I don't see why I shouldn't, I mean, if I installed HBC (which was a slight risk in itself), I see no problem installing BootMii. But as far as the NAND backup is concerned, that's the only time I need the other SD card (which I need to make sure is FAT32). I find it reassuring that this can make the wii nearly impossible to screw up.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i just use an emulator.

because i can.

let me know how injecting ff7 into a OoT wad goes.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

sweener2001 wrote:i just use an emulator.

because i can.

let me know how injecting ff7 into a OoT wad goes.
Hah-hah...Very funny. I though about injecting something like Chrono Trigger or FFVI into a Donkey Kong Country 2 WAD, but, then again, I think I may have risked the wii enough as it is by installing the Homebrew Channel...
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

The only risk with the HBC is if you are dumb enough not to leave the SD card in.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

wad injection is a stupid way to play old games, because you can just use an emulator.

that's what you were supposed to get from that.

wad injection was fun and flashy when homebrew was brand new, but why bother when you can just boot up an emulator? SERIOUSLY
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Plus, there's more work doing WAD injection. Use an emulator.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

AND KILL YOURSELF
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54