Question about Game Boy games and Super Game Boy…

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Downgrade your hardware? More like borrow your friend's GB or use the one you already have to do that one thing in the game? No-one was going to have to buy another system for it, so it's not exactly a big deal, is it?

Edit: I hate page-breaking with semi-useless posts :/
Bent
Lurker

Post by Bent »

adventure_of_link wrote: Hey Bent, long time no see man!
I've actually been around, just lurking though, hasn't been too much activity here for me to post about lately.

Wow, I didn't think it had been that long, but now I see I've only had three posts since June of last year!

Back to topic... I always wondered about that shop in the Oracle games on the GBA, talk about last minute pointless addition, you get two rings that don't even do anything and a seed IIRC. Are there even any other games that have GBA exclusive portions like that?
Super GameBoy and GameBoy Pocket don't have the power lock, so it's not hard to test(I did it with that Crystalis GBC demake and an SGB)
Maybe that was how I did it, although I wouldn't put it mast me to have disassembled my Gameboy for such purpose.
~Bent
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
blackmyst wrote:That's pretty retarded. I'd be surprised if there were any other developers at all who made you downgrade your hardware to access some game content. It's almost as if this was meant to be the other way around and someone just messed it up in the code.
Why should it be one way or the other? Aside from "Because Nintendo wants people to upgrade."

Now, on the other hand, there's no technical reason for there to BE a difference. Assuming that the differences in this game are limited to color/not-color and door open/shut like it appears. Which is why these sorts of things tend to annoy me on the rare occasion they're implemented.

At least this one isn't going out and saying "you best go upgrade yo' damn hardware, bitch!" like, say, the GBA shop in the Zelda Oracle games. It's a reward for people that've been supporting the GameBoy for years... or possibly just a subversion of the "secret locked area that's only available on one hardware variant" upgrade campaign.

While I can see where you're coming from with the being pressured into a hardware upgrade, that kind of thing is pretty common, this on the other hand is just weird. Again, I'd be surprised if there were any other examples of similar things in games for any system.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

blackmyst wrote:this on the other hand is just weird.
I thought that was sort of the point of it. You know, like the Psycho Mantis stuff in MGS (never played that myself either).
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

blackmyst wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
blackmyst wrote:That's pretty retarded. I'd be surprised if there were any other developers at all who made you downgrade your hardware to access some game content. It's almost as if this was meant to be the other way around and someone just messed it up in the code.
Why should it be one way or the other? Aside from "Because Nintendo wants people to upgrade."

Now, on the other hand, there's no technical reason for there to BE a difference. Assuming that the differences in this game are limited to color/not-color and door open/shut like it appears. Which is why these sorts of things tend to annoy me on the rare occasion they're implemented.

At least this one isn't going out and saying "you best go upgrade yo' damn hardware, bitch!" like, say, the GBA shop in the Zelda Oracle games. It's a reward for people that've been supporting the GameBoy for years... or possibly just a subversion of the "secret locked area that's only available on one hardware variant" upgrade campaign.

While I can see where you're coming from with the being pressured into a hardware upgrade, that kind of thing is pretty common, this on the other hand is just weird. Again, I'd be surprised if there were any other examples of similar things in games for any system.
It's weird either way. There's no LOGICAL reason to lock content unless it's genuinely dependent on the hardware revision.
This way is at least amusingly weird.

Actually... given it came out five months after the GBColor Zelda Oracle games with their GBA-exclusive rooms, I'm suspecting it really WAS a mild form of commentary on the scheme.
Obviously, only the folks at tri-Ace could say for sure. But that's my suspicion.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Hyos
Regular

Post by Hyos »

Maybe it's just an easter egg, nothing too complicated.

A developer could have thought - the people stuck with GBs cannot enjoy the color version. Give them something in return. An extra room with loot for example.

Simple explanation, no huge conspiracy.