Question about Game Boy games and Super Game Boy…

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Kizul Emeraldfire

Question about Game Boy games and Super Game Boy…

Post by Kizul Emeraldfire »

I happen to have an old model-1 Super NES, and I've always sorta missed playing Game Boy/Game Boy COLOR games, but their hand-held screens are really tiny from what I remember (and also non-back-lit), so I've been pondering getting a Super Game Boy to play those games with.

Advantages: huge screen, better (or at least, less 'tinny') sound, less -cramped controller.

Disadvantages: I don't know what games are compatible with the SGB — I don't mean whether or not they use the extra borders/DSP stuff/special color palettes, I mean I'm not sure if every GB/GBC game works on it, period.

So, um… if anyone happens to have a comprehensive, complete compatibility list for the Super Game Boy handy, it would be much appreciated. :D

Mostly I'm just wondering if the The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons would work with the Super Game Boy — I know that they work with a Game Boy Advance, but unfortunately I also don't own one of those. ^^'

Sorry if I sound kinda newbish; I just want to have all the Zelda games evar (minus those Celdas for the DS, anyway) and be able to play them! D:
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

I know that some GBC games look worse (appear to use fewer colours) when played on a super GB than on a GBC. So for playing GBC games properly, I recommend getting a Color or Advance.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Johan_H wrote:I know that some GBC games look worse (appear to use fewer colours) when played on a super GB than on a GBC. So for playing GBC games properly, I recommend getting a Color or Advance.
Or perhaps get a gameboy player, assuming the OP has a gamecube
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

I used a SGB for a long time on games like pokemon and didn't have any issues as far as color went

The easiest way top tell if it's GBC only, look at the Wario Land 1 & 2 carts and notice the top dips in, then notice Wario Land 3 bumps out, if it bumps outward it's usually not SGB compatible... I don't know if any like that were SGB compatible, the few I had were the only ones that weren't

[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ReRuss/UBAR.gif[/img]
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
KingMike
Rookie

Post by KingMike »

Yes, that's the easy way to tell.
Clear cart = GBC-exclusive game = not compatible with SGB (or any monochrome GB).
(you can tell that was the intent of the clear carts because they will block the power switch on an original model GB)
And to quick-answer the OP's question: nope, the Oracle games are clear-cart/GBC-exclusive.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

You could just use an emulator. I mean, this is an emulation forum, after all. :p
Kizul Emeraldfire

Johan_H wrote:I know that some GBC games look worse (appear to use fewer colours) when played on a super GB than on a GBC. So for playing GBC games properly, I recommend getting a Color or Advance.
Well, the whole reason I was wanting to get an SGB is because the GB/GBC/GBA have tiny screens — I don't think I'd mind if the colors were a little off. ^^; They also have very tinny speakers, from what I remember from about nine or ten years ago, which was the last time I really PLAYED on a GBC.
adventure_of_link wrote:
Or perhaps get a gameboy player, assuming the OP has a gamecube
I do have a GameCube, actually — I was sorta opting for the Super Game Boy, though, 'cause I like the Super NES controllers better than the GameCube ones for old Game Boy games — it feels a bit more natural to me. :)

Although, now that I look at the Game Boy Player, I notice that it has the bonus of being able to also play Game Boy ADVANCE games. :D I'm guessing that since it can play GBA games, it can also play the GBC-exclusive carts? Also, I think the Game Boy Donkey Kong game's credits used some DSP chip or something for extra sound effects/music that could only be heard with the Super Game Boy; does anyone know if the Game Boy Player would be able to emulate that?
ReRuss wrote:I used a SGB for a long time on games like pokemon and didn't have any issues as far as color went

The easiest way top tell if it's GBC only, look at the Wario Land 1 & 2 carts and notice the top dips in, then notice Wario Land 3 bumps out, if it bumps outward it's usually not SGB compatible... I don't know if any like that were SGB compatible, the few I had were the only ones that weren't

Thank you! :o I didn't know that the carts that were GBC-exclusive were different; I'd thought that they were the same as the SGB-compatible carts, only they would refuse to boot on an SGB. :p

Hmm… Although, this makes me wonder: if you took a GBC-exclusive game and put it into an SGB-compatible cartridge case — would it boot? (alternatively, cutting a notch in the GBC-exclusive cart to make it fit. :/)
KingMike wrote:Yes, that's the easy way to tell.
Clear cart = GBC-exclusive game = not compatible with SGB (or any monochrome GB).
(you can tell that was the intent of the clear carts because they will block the power switch on an original model GB)
And to quick-answer the OP's question: nope, the Oracle games are clear-cart/GBC-exclusive.
Curses! D: I may end up getting a Game Boy Player instead just so I can have the Oracle games. Phooey. :(

The only thing I might miss with the Game Boy Player is that it doesn't have the Super Game Boy borders. <.<
paulguy wrote:You could just use an emulator. I mean, this is an emulation forum, after all. :p
Pff, true — but the whole reason I wanted to get a Super Game Boy/Game Boy Player is because I want to play the real deal ON the real deal. ;p I've already played/beaten both of the Oracle games via emulation, but I want to own (and be able to play) physical copies of those games. :p
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Kizul Emeraldfire wrote:Also, I think the Game Boy Donkey Kong game's credits used some DSP chip or something for extra sound effects/music that could only be heard with the Super Game Boy; does anyone know if the Game Boy Player would be able to emulate that?

Hmm… Although, this makes me wonder: if you took a GBC-exclusive game and put it into an SGB-compatible cartridge case — would it boot? (alternatively, cutting a notch in the GBC-exclusive cart to make it fit. :/)
Full answers to your two questions here.

1. Donkey Kong '97 used the SNES hardware to do that. SGB games with actual SGB bonuses did just that, use the SNES hardware to do stuff. One game even included a bonus game only playable on the SGB(Space Invaders).

2. Not possible. GBC exclusive games use the extras in the GBC hardware, namely more RAM(IIRC, anyway), a faster CPU, better video chip, etc.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Kizul Emeraldfire wrote:They also have very tinny speakers, from what I remember from about nine or ten years ago, which was the last time I really PLAYED on a GBC.
If you don't use headphones when playing on handheld systems, you're doing it wrong :P

Relevant to this thread: some GBC games require you to play it on a regular GB to access some stuff (not just different graphics). Only example I know of is Star Ocean: Blue Sphere, but there are probably more.
Kizul Emeraldfire

I.S.T. wrote:
Kizul Emeraldfire wrote:Also, I think the Game Boy Donkey Kong game's credits used some DSP chip or something for extra sound effects/music that could only be heard with the Super Game Boy; does anyone know if the Game Boy Player would be able to emulate that?

Full answers to your two questions here.

1. Donkey Kong '97 used the SNES hardware to do that. SGB games with actual SGB bonuses did just that, use the SNES hardware to do stuff. One game even included a bonus game only playable on the SGB(Space Invaders).

2. Not possible. GBC exclusive games use the extras in the GBC hardware, namely more RAM(IIRC, anyway), a faster CPU, better video chip, etc.
1.) Ah, I see — so I guess if I REALLY want the enhancements for those games, I'd HAVE to get a Super Game Boy. Hm. I'm still leaning more towards the Game Boy Player anyway, for its ability to play just about every hand-held Nintendo game short of the DS. :o

2.) Aw, nuts! XD Still, it was worth asking anyway. :p
Johan_H wrote:
Kizul Emeraldfire wrote:They also have very tinny speakers, from what I remember from about nine or ten years ago, which was the last time I really PLAYED on a GBC.
If you don't use headphones when playing on handheld systems, you're doing it wrong :P

Relevant to this thread: some GBC games require you to play it on a regular GB to access some stuff (not just different graphics). Only example I know of is Star Ocean: Blue Sphere, but there are probably more.
Really? o.O? You can't access the extra stuff even on a GBA*? I know that some GBC games (like Zelda: Oracle of Ages, and Shantae) have extra stuff if you play them on a GBA — OoA has a special shop where you can buy the Advance Ring, and Shantae has a hidden room.

Also, about the headphones: heh — the cord on my pair is so long I'd probably trip over 'em if I were playing a GB/GBC/GBA game and walking at the same time. :p

*Edit: or was that what you'd meant? >.>?
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Kizul Emeraldfire wrote:Really? o.O? You can't access the extra stuff even on a GBA?
I'd guess not, unless there's a way to make the GBA think the GBC game is a regular GB game or something.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Kizul Emeraldfire wrote:I'm guessing that since it can play GBA games, it can also play the GBC-exclusive carts?
It'll play every single Game Boy to GBA games.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

I know that there is a list on Wikipedia on Super Gameboy games. The box have the icon on them. Donkey Kong was one of them.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

that shop also exists in oracle of seasons

also, I remember Pokemon being compatable with the super gameboy..
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

It just has borders and a unique palette. Nothing special.
Last edited by I.S.T. on Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bent
Lurker

Post by Bent »

Actually I had wondered about the same thing years ago. I don't remember exactly what I did, but I somehow got the gameboy to turn on with a GBC exclusive game in it. It boots, but only to a screen that says "This game must be played on a Gameboy Color system" or something similar to that. Not possible to play it. You may be able to check this yourself by getting VBA, forcing GB as the system and loading a GBC ROM image, although I haven't tried this.
~Bent
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Yep it displays that message on a GB with a GBC game.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Bent wrote:
Actually I had wondered about the same thing years ago. I don't remember exactly what I did, but I somehow got the gameboy to turn on with a GBC exclusive game in it. It boots, but only to a screen that says "This game must be played on a Gameboy Color system" or something similar to that. Not possible to play it. You may be able to check this yourself by getting VBA, forcing GB as the system and loading a GBC ROM image, although I haven't tried this.
Hey Bent, long time no see man!
NSRT here.
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

what up holmes?
bringing Zsnes back
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Bent wrote:
Super GameBoy and GameBoy Pocket don't have the power lock, so it's not hard to test(I did it with that Crystalis GBC demake and an SGB)
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Johan_H wrote:Relevant to this thread: some GBC games require you to play it on a regular GB to access some stuff (not just different graphics). Only example I know of is Star Ocean: Blue Sphere, but there are probably more.
That doesn't make any sense at all. Are you sure you're not mistaken?
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

blackmyst wrote:
Johan_H wrote:Relevant to this thread: some GBC games require you to play it on a regular GB to access some stuff (not just different graphics). Only example I know of is Star Ocean: Blue Sphere, but there are probably more.
That doesn't make any sense at all. Are you sure you're not mistaken?
I haven't actually played the game myself, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjNHHsLHK2k
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

That's pretty retarded. I'd be surprised if there were any other developers at all who made you downgrade your hardware to access some game content. It's almost as if this was meant to be the other way around and someone just messed it up in the code.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

an alternative to SGB is runnin the GBC to a TV , like some kiosks done (Toys'R'Us for example), or modding like so - http://www.konlabs.com/articles_data/gb ... /index.htm, Or just only use the transverter
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ReRuss/UBAR.gif[/img]
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

blackmyst wrote:That's pretty retarded. I'd be surprised if there were any other developers at all who made you downgrade your hardware to access some game content. It's almost as if this was meant to be the other way around and someone just messed it up in the code.
Why should it be one way or the other? Aside from "Because Nintendo wants people to upgrade."

Now, on the other hand, there's no technical reason for there to BE a difference. Assuming that the differences in this game are limited to color/not-color and door open/shut like it appears. Which is why these sorts of things tend to annoy me on the rare occasion they're implemented.

At least this one isn't going out and saying "you best go upgrade yo' damn hardware, bitch!" like, say, the GBA shop in the Zelda Oracle games. It's a reward for people that've been supporting the GameBoy for years... or possibly just a subversion of the "secret locked area that's only available on one hardware variant" upgrade campaign.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads