Multitap Super NES USB - 5 Players (would anyone buy it?)

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Goro's Lair

Multitap Super NES USB - 5 Players (would anyone buy it?)

Post by Goro's Lair »

Dear Friends.

I'm doing a survey about the acceptance of USB adapters to classic controllers! In this moment, I'm in contact with the fabricator of Super Joy Box 5 Pro (that one that supports up to 4 controllers of PS1/PS2) and I suggested to them the production of an USB Multitap of SNES for up to 5 players. In the possibility of this product to be released, would anyone buy it?

SUPER JOY BOX 5 PRO

In this first moment, the main features could be the following ones:

1 – Capability of connection to PC (through USB) and to a real Super NES, too;
2 – Black Color (similar to the Super Joy Box 5 Pro) or into the same colors of Super NES;
3 – Plug and Play system to Windows and Linux;
4 – Support to light guns and Super Scope;
5 – Maximum price between 50.00 US$ and 65.00 US$ (to be defined);

For availability of this project, it would be necessary a minimum of 1000 pieces with previous request. Below, you can see the link with its possible lay-out (inspired on a hacked Tribal Tap);

Last edited by Goro's Lair on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

Tribal taps work well, mine is LPT and I took away the 2p/4p/5p switch, however I used hot glue to fill in the gap, so its sort of a blemish there (shoulda used bondo I guess)... TribalTaps works rather well, but a USB option would have to be cheap in order for me to switch over... Then again considering I have like a dozen SNES extension cables a PCB that I can wire into wouldn't be too bad...

[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ReRuss/UBAR.gif[/img]
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
byuu

Post by byuu »

A properly functioning SNES port to USB port adapter would allow you to plug a legit multi-tap peripheral into it. No need to make custom hardware to do that. An emulator would also have to manually support direct polling of that data, instead of relying on DirectInput etc, however.

Also, the Tribal Tap is a fraud. It is a 4-player adapter, the fifth port is not wired to anything and the 5P switch does not work.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Lik Sang sent me a Super Smartjoy many years ago, and I still use it. No complaints here. It is too bad Sony drove Lik Sang into oblivion. :p
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

badinsults wrote:Lik Sang sent me a Super Smartjoy many years ago, and I still use it. No complaints here. It is too bad Sony drove Lik Sang into oblivion. :p
I agree, I never shopped there, but apparently they had dreamcast bba's usually
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ReRuss/UBAR.gif[/img]
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

badinsults wrote:Lik Sang sent me a Super Smartjoy many years ago, and I still use it. No complaints here. It is too bad Sony drove Lik Sang into oblivion. :p
Wasn't it Nintendo's GBA flash cart lawsuit that started the ship sinking? Sony's PSP hissy fit was just the last straw.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Wasn't it Nintendo's GBA flash cart lawsuit that started the ship sinking? Sony's PSP hissy fit was just the last straw.
Lik Sang GBA flash (128MBit) cart was good, i bought one myself, used for testing crappy gba demo that my friend made using HAM GBA devkit.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Nope:

http://www.lik-sang.com/
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

badinsults wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Nope:

http://www.lik-sang.com/
Yes, I know that. But as I understand things, they'd been having trouble since the GBA flash cart fiasco.

I know there was a complete management change, and a lot of the products people traditionally went to Lik-Sang for(copiers, flash carts, and mod chips) suddenly weren't there. I can't imagine that HELPED business.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Goro's Lair

Post by Goro's Lair »

byuu wrote:Also, the Tribal Tap is a fraud. It is a 4-player adapter, the fifth port is not wired to anything and the 5P switch does not work.
Well, games like NBA Live 97 and Lord of the Rings work fine in 5 players simultaneous with Tribal Tap in my Super NES (and I cannot plug it on Port # 1 or I'll have error message). But, obviously, I tested it with one controller on Port # 1 and the Multitap on Port # 2 with the other 4 controllers.

For a real test, in my opinion, we'd have to test it with Battle Cross (the unique 6 simultaneous players that I know for Super NES). Who knows for the Multitap's 5th Port to work would be necessary the usage of all the 6 controllers connected?

But this possible product would be released by Mayflash (www.mayflash.com , not Lik Sang) and the usage of the image of Tribal Tap was only a simple example (maybe, it could have another lay-out). The main idea is: would you buy a Multitap SNES USB with the correct trade price in the market?

If we have a satisfactory reply, possibly they'll release it. If not, we can still play those games with this another product from mayflash: http://www.mayflash.com/pc/pc044/pc044.htm (but for 2 players only - more players, more adapters).

Thanks for your replies!
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Goro's Lair wrote:
byuu wrote:Also, the Tribal Tap is a fraud. It is a 4-player adapter, the fifth port is not wired to anything and the 5P switch does not work.
Well, games like NBA Live 97 and Lord of the Rings work fine in 5 players simultaneous with Tribal Tap in my Super NES (and I cannot plug it on Port # 1 or I'll have error message). But, obviously, I tested it with one controller on Port # 1 and the Multitap on Port # 2 with the other 4 controllers.
Thats what he was getting at, you can''t have 5 working controllers on the multitap as the 5th one fails to work for whatever reason. Instead you need to have someone connect to the first port on the SNES and the multitap on the 2nd port (as you said).
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Goro's Lair wrote:(the unique 6 simultaneous players that I know for Super NES)
someone didn't hear about n-warp daisakusen
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Goro's Lair

Post by Goro's Lair »

grinvader wrote:someone didn't hear about n-warp daisakusen
Yes, I did! But it's a homebrew (made by a guy from Germany), not an official release! That's the reason for the what I didn't mention it before!

Thanks to remind us!
byuu

Post by byuu »

There are no six-player official titles. We've already tested every one people brought up years ago when we were debunking the Tribal Tap fraud.

http://www.neviksti.com/wiki/TribalTap

Taking the above in mind, it should be clear that there cannot be a six-player game, as Nintendo did not allow games to use more than one multi-tap.