View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Can the Wii U output 240p in any mode? 
Zealot

Post Can the Wii U output 240p in any mode?
I'm mostly wondering about 240p VC games in Wii mode. They look awesome on the original Wii on a CRT, but I've googled for god knows how long to find out whether they'll look the same when transferred to a Wii U hooked up to a CRT, and nobody seems to agree on it. Some people say it actually does 240p, others say the Wii VC games are forced to 480i (and the Z+A+1 trick is disabled) which I would absolutely hate looking at, and it would be the sole deciding factor on whether I'd do the Wii->WiiU transfer or not.

Does anyone among the good ole zboarders actually have a Wii U with any NES/SNES/etc games in BC Wii mode, who knows how to check this for sure?

I'm also interested in finding out whether actual native Wii U virtual console NES/SNES/etc games can do 240p, but that would merely be a nice bonus.

Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:56 am
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post Re: Can the Wii U output 240p in any mode?
Haven't really tried the VC stuff myself, but I've also read about forced 480i. What is the Z+A+1 trick anyway?

Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:10 pm
Buzzkill Gil

It's possible that's a side effect of HDMI output. Given 240p isn't any sort of standard, it's entirely likely they had to give it up.

DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.

KHDownloads

Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:26 pm
Zealot

Agozer wrote:
Haven't really tried the VC stuff myself, but I've also read about forced 480i. What is the Z+A+1 trick anyway?

Load up a 240p VC title, then open the operations manual for it, and while that is open connect the nunchuk and press Z+A+1 for 240p mode, or Z+A+2 for an upscaled 480i. Or the other way around. I forget. You hear the standard Wii "ping" sound when successful.

Anyway, I was hoping someone could actually confirm this on their own hardware, I've read a whole lot of speculation on the subject but no real proof for or against.

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
It's possible that's a side effect of HDMI output. Given 240p isn't any sort of standard, it's entirely likely they had to give it up.

Ah I figured since the HDMI port is separate from the regular video out port, they could do whatever they wanted with either one, but I guess it's not that simple?

Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]