Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Post by adventure_of_link »

So, is anyone getting this new edition of the Zelda saga?

Because I sure am, had my copy pre-ordered since the end of MAY. :)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Post by odditude »

adventure_of_link wrote:So, is anyone getting this new edition of the Zelda saga?

Because I sure am, had my copy pre-ordered since the end of MAY. :)
given who frequents this board, i'd find it more interesting to know who's NOT interested in playing SS eventually.

unsurprisingly, it's on my shortlist.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

I'm not terribly eager to blow $70 plus shipping to buy it.

(Yes, it is quite literally cheaper for me to buy the remote bundle, than to buy the regular version and pay $20 to buy a new MotionPlus adapter to go with it.)

(EDIT: Wait, I spoke too soon. Nobody on Amazon has the bundle except for resellers who have already bumped the price to $90. I could get the regular version and a MotionPlus adapter for only $70 plus shipping.)
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

got the dildo adapter today, threw the condom away, grabbing the game whenever i get around to it
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

kode54 wrote:I'm not terribly eager to blow $70 plus shipping to buy it.

(Yes, it is quite literally cheaper for me to buy the remote bundle, than to buy the regular version and pay $20 to buy a new MotionPlus adapter to go with it.)

(EDIT: Wait, I spoke too soon. Nobody on Amazon has the bundle except for resellers who have already bumped the price to $90. I could get the regular version and a MotionPlus adapter for only $70 plus shipping.)
Unless all your wii remotes are dead, I don't see how it's cheaper.

Zelda: SS w/ gold wii motion+ enabled remote = $70
Zelda: SS and wii motion+ module for an existing wii remote = $70

so yeah, breaking even ftw. still, sucks that they're now upselling the wii remote bundle to $90 online..
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

odditude wrote: given who frequents this board, i'd find it more interesting to know who's NOT interested in playing SS eventually.
Last Zelda I played for any length of time was Zelda 4.
I can't really be bothered to care about this one.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

adventure_of_link wrote:
kode54 wrote:I'm not terribly eager to blow $70 plus shipping to buy it.

Unless all your wii remotes are dead, I don't see how it's cheaper.

Zelda: SS w/ gold wii motion+ enabled remote = $70
Zelda: SS and wii motion+ module for an existing wii remote = $70

so yeah, breaking even ftw. still, sucks that they're now upselling the wii remote bundle to $90 online..
how is that breaking even? the bundle leaves you with an extra wiimote.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Actually, it's cheaper to not buy the bundle now.

Game with soundtrack: $49.99
Remote adapter: $11.88

Game with remote bundle: Currently $99.99

I love when scalpers can preorder a game out of stock and then put their preorder copy in the Amazon marketplace before they even receive it.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Noooooooooooooot me. Motion controlled action games FTL, and Zelda in general FTL. I would say the last truly good one was LTTP, and sadly the direction the series has taken since then has been all of the bad/mediocre parts of LTTP and put a focus on them. Almost every good thing added since then has been more of a bandaid than anything(Such as the introduction of a real 3D combat system in TP close to ten fucking years too late). They do not fix the fundamental problems of the series.

Problems such as the overworld feeling like a connection to the dungeons and nothing else, gimmicky as fuck dungeons, items often(Though not always) useless outside of the dungeon you get them in unless it's a bow, bomb or boomerang(THE THREE Bs), and a general feeling of "This is supposed to be EPIC guyz" when it's really just kind of small but pretending to be heug.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

I.S.T. wrote:Noooooooooooooot me. Motion controlled action games FTL, and Zelda in general FTL. I would say the last truly good one was LTTP, and sadly the direction the series has taken since then has been all of the bad/mediocre parts of LTTP and put a focus on them. Almost every good thing added since then has been more of a bandaid than anything(Such as the introduction of a real 3D combat system in TP close to ten fucking years too late). They do not fix the fundamental problems of the series.

Problems such as the overworld feeling like a connection to the dungeons and nothing else, gimmicky as fuck dungeons, items often(Though not always) useless outside of the dungeon you get them in unless it's a bow, bomb or boomerang(THE THREE Bs), and a general feeling of "This is supposed to be EPIC guyz" when it's really just kind of small but pretending to be heug.
I've beaten the game and I have to say, it is significantly better in every way in comparison to Twilight Princess. They make extensive use of variety of items outside of dungeons as well as within dungeons, difficulty is actually GREAT for once, controls are fine even when sitting down and the enemies and strategies to beating them are pretty neat. Overall I greatly enjoyed the experience and can see my self replaying it in the near future. If anything, my complaints are that the bug catching net motion controls are broken (Only item I complain about), the game is a bit too long (Took me over 40 hours to beat, soo many dungeons/challenges D: ) and your companion likes to state some mind numbingly obvious things fairly often.

Dungeon items and items in general control fine and are pretty neat, unlike most of Twilight Princess's and Wind Waker's and they're actually used everywhere, the order you get items in is also well thought out. Bosses are finally both visually impressive as well as prove a nice challenge, previous games tended to be more the former then the latter.
Last edited by franpa on Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

franpa wrote:your companion likes to state some mind numbingly obvious things fairly often.
HEY
LISTEN

i hope not

just got around to grabbing it

let there be gaemz
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

grinvader wrote:
franpa wrote:your companion likes to state some mind numbingly obvious things fairly often.
HEY
LISTEN

Oh god no.
Last time I was playing Ocarina she pissed me off so bad I used to have dreams about grabbing Navi and twisting her fucking head off.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

franpa's comment applies to the actual content of your new sidekick's messages, and it gives a major "A.I. thinks you're dumb" vibe.
Its voice is not as disruptive as navi's, in comparison.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

grinvader wrote:franpa's comment applies to the actual content of your new sidekick's messages, and it gives a major "A.I. thinks you're dumb" vibe.
Cool.
I don't know who at nintendo thought it was a good idea to have a character say "LISTEN" in the exact same annoying tone of voice, a ridiculous number of times in the one game, without the ability to turn her off, but they were a moron.

It's like listening to a child say the same exact stupid thing over and over again in the exact tone of voice to get peoples attention. I don't know about the rest of you, but that really gets on my nerves.

As long as they've stopped doing that crap then I'd probably play skyward sword.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Don't worry, the new sidekick doesn't annoy you with shouts like Navi.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

she also has boobs

unlike navi

don't give me that look
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:she also has boobs

unlike navi

don't give me that look
PIX OR GET THE FUCK OUT
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:PIX OR GET THE FUCK OUT
You asked for it.
No clicking, kiddos. :3
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I was expecting screencaps, honestly.
Oh well, a mermaid fetish is hardly the most deviant Link's been in fanart over the years.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

franpa wrote:soo many dungeons/challenges D:
now that i finished it

since when is 10 "so many" ? lttp had more (3+1+7+1).
(unless i'm mistaken. let's see: forest, mountain, desert, cistern, sandship, volcano, a lot of backtrack for each area and then that boss-less sky thingie...)
13 bosses but only 7 real dungeons if you forget backtracking. no final boss dungeon either, lol.
double lol at the medals wasting precious storage room for the final two hearts as well. problem to find places for 8 heart pieces, nintendo ? seriously, what the fuck. -_-
you even START with 6 hearts this time, which was lulz to begin with.

and the final boss is ridiculously easy (without even abusing some sort of special item tactic like the infamous fishing rod in TP - there's probably something to pull with the net in this one, but i didn't even try).
皆黙って俺について来い!!

franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

grinvader wrote:franpa's comment applies to the actual content of your new sidekick's messages, and it gives a major "A.I. thinks you're dumb" vibe.
Correct! Someone interpreted one of my fan dangled forum posts correctly!? Amazing!!
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64