the PDP Versus Controller (360/ps3/Wii)

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Zer0

the PDP Versus Controller (360/ps3/Wii)

Post by Zer0 »

These controllers are PERFECT for emulators. Highly recommended over normal 360 controllers.
Made for fighting games, but its a hybrid of current-gen controllers with a Sega-style AAA button style.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-ing awesome!!!! :shock:

"I never cared about myself, and I don't ever recall calling myself a hero...
...I have always only fought for the people that I believe in. I won't hesitate...
If an enemy appears before me, I will destroy it!
"
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: the PDP Versus Controller (360/ps3/Wii)

Post by grinvader »

No dpad ? ewwww
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Zer0

Post by Zer0 »

There are D pad variants... I prefer the arcade styled analog like that one though. it's not like a normal analog stick, it's a little "Clicky" in the direction you use it in, exactly like the arcade sticks.
...I have always only fought for the people that I believe in. I won't hesitate...
"
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Zer0 wrote:There are D pad variants... I prefer the arcade styled analog like that one though. it's not like a normal analog stick, it's a little "Clicky" in the direction you use it in, exactly like the arcade sticks.
It's not an analog input at all. It's a fully-digital hat switch.
Analog doesn't mean "rises up out of the controller", it means "has a variable range of motion."
And that's not an arcade-style input at all. Arcades used a lot of primary input devices, but hat switches were not one of them.

That said, that style of hat switch was used by SNK for their non-joystick controllers.
And if it's good enough for SNK, it's good enough for you.

Also, Zer0, a bit more actual content in your posts and a bit less giant picture of a random gamepad would be greatly appreciated.
I actually own one of those pads is the only reason I can make heads or tails of your posts.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Are those turbo switches?

EDIT: oh, guess they're start and select. Could make some games a bit awkward with that placement, but L2 or R2 could possibly work.

How is PC compatibility? Do both the xbox 360 and PS3 controllers work with a PC as plain old USB controllers or do either one need some funky drivers?
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

paulguy wrote:Are those turbo switches?

EDIT: oh, guess they're start and select. Could make some games a bit awkward with that placement, but L2 or R2 could possibly work.

How is PC compatibility? Do both the xbox 360 and PS3 controllers work with a PC as plain old USB controllers or do either one need some funky drivers?
PS3 is gonna need funky drivers.
360 one SHOULD just work, though I can't say I've tested. I know my Fighting Stick EX2 had some weird issues on account of things trying to read the analog sticks that weren't there and concluding they were both zeroed at the top-left corner.

Edit: I lie.
PS3 one works fine as an HID gamepad. Again, with the caveat that games expecting analog stick input instead of hat switch input won't work.
And the 360 one views as centered thumbsticks, not 0'ed.

if it wasn't obvious, I have both. They are adorable hardware and I couldn't resist.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
Zer0

Post by Zer0 »

I bought the Xbox 360 version, it works like a dream. Just takes about 2 minutes to install once plugged into the USB.
If ZSNES is already running, you will have to quit the program and relaunch it to get the controller to work. I'm mostly a PS3 fan, but I figured those ones would need extra drivers so I just got the 360 one.

And about the arcade style bit I mentioned, all I meant was the "clicky" part of the analog, like it feels like you are using an arcade stick in a way. Basically much better for the retro games than an actual analog stick controller.

about the content of the OP - I was just trying to reccomend a controller because I know how much of a pain in the ass the keyboard can be for emulators, and this is by far the best controller I've used for them.

and I don't know what you mean by you have both controllers.
:oops:
"
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Zer0 wrote:
If ZSNES is already running, you will have to quit the program and relaunch it to get the controller to work.
That's true with any USB controller. You should already have them plugged in before you launch zsnes. In fact every emulator I've ever used behaves this way.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Zer0 wrote: about the content of the OP - I was just trying to reccomend a controller because I know how much of a pain in the ass the keyboard can be for emulators, and this is by far the best controller I've used for them.

and I don't know what you mean by you have both controllers.
WHAT makes it the best controller? You offer nothing informative.
That was kind of my point.

By both I mean I have the 360 AND PS3 versions of the pad. And stop saying analog, that word doesn't mean what you think it means.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I ordered the 360 pad from Amazon. It should be here next week. I hope I'm not disappointed. The stick sounds like it should be nice, but how're the buttons?
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Zer0

Post by Zer0 »

Ahhhhhh, I should of mentioned they are much cheaper at Gamestop. The lowest price I could find on Amazon was $25 I think? And that was used. I got mine new at my local Gamestop for $14.99...
And the buttons are somewhat "clicky" as well too. Not too stiff, but not too sensitive either. I have the 360 one and the buttons are notably less stiffer than the ABXY buttons on standard 360 controllers.
"
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

paulguy wrote:I ordered the 360 pad from Amazon. It should be here next week. I hope I'm not disappointed. The stick sounds like it should be nice, but how're the buttons?
The entire device is microswitched except for select/back, start, and home menu.
You can make quite a racket if you're so inclined.

Important subtle detail: In addition to having no analog sticks and no stick-click buttons... you don't have ANY analog controls. No pressure-sensitive buttons, no analog triggers. 100% digital, the way God, Bushnell, and Yokoi intended.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Cool. Look forward to using it.

Edit: I got the controller and it's pretty great. Seems to be much more responsive than my old ps1 pad connected through an adapter. It does require a driver, though, as it's not a standard USB HID controller, but an xbox 360 controller driver (xboxdrv in this case) was enough to get it working.