What's your greatest gaming conquest?(not nearly as long)

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Yuber
Trooper

Re: What's your greatest gaming conquest?(not nearly as long

Post by Yuber »

Damn, you guys are just better at games than I am by far. That fucking shovel heart frustrates the shit out of me every time I play LTTP. I've never gotten it instantly; the best I've done was 2nd or 3rd try and I considered that fast. I mostly play old JRPGs and arcade fighters; Shin Akuma from CVS2 on the hardest difficulty is absolutely INSANE, and while I've beaten him in one go a couple times, I pretty much got lucky.(Evil Ryu, 4 ratio solo) God Rugal is terrible as well, but I generally have more problems with Shin Gouki/Akuma. I use a "backup" of the DC Japanese version of CVS2 since it's the most accurate version, and load times/slowdown aren't an issue. PS2 version has terrible image quality, dunno about GC and Xbox versions. It's the game that created Capcum, sunic upppoha, rets go, cumun urookie, urets battre and other hiriarious Engrish voiceu sampreus.

For anyone who's killed him, how hard is Yiazmat from FFXII compared to bosses like Omega and Ozma? I avoided fighting him because of 50 fucking million HP and instant death attacks, and Omega from XII looks like a nightmare as well. Getting the components to make the Tournesol pretty much burned me out permanently when it comes to that game, but I'll probably come back to it sometime and try to kill Yiazmat and Omega. Dunno if this is much of an accomplishment, but I beat Zodiark 1st try easily. His instant death attacks missed a lot more than I expected, so there was a fairly large element of luck there.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Yuber wrote:For anyone who's killed him, how hard is Yiazmat from FFXII compared to bosses like Omega and Ozma?
Yiazmat is a matter of tightly-specific party roles, constantly distracting it with an uberbuffed sandbag (with a replacement ready in the back when it dies, because it will) and your damage dealers with your best combo weapons/accessories and crit status to reach the highest DPS you can. The tricky parts are where it kills one of you, you must react in a split second to restore the setup or you're pretty much boned. There's a good vid about it, using the updated ff12 version it's literally a matter of minutes. Setup phase, world of hurt.
Without... closer to an hour.

Ozma/Omega are much closer to classical FF battle, get hit, heal, get killed, raise, attack when available. No need for super-tuned setups.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:Damn, you guys are just better at games than I am by far. That fucking shovel heart frustrates the shit out of me every time I play LTTP. I've never gotten it instantly; the best I've done was 2nd or 3rd try and I considered that fast.
That's not a skill thing. It's ENTIRELY down to luck.

I use a "backup" of the DC Japanese version of CVS2
Just say you pirated it. We don't care that you did, and all you're doing with creative euphemisms is making people that ACTUALLY burn backups look bad.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I use the term backup for legal reasons(even though I backed up CVS2 in late 2001), not because I'm worried about backlash here. I assume you guys don't give a damn since this IS an emu forum after all. CVS2 DC wasn't even released here and I don't wanna mess with boot discs or modding, so a backup is my preferred method. I really should buy a legit copy of Skies of Arcadia though since the "backup" version has massive slowdown due to loading problems. I think SOA deserves at least a used purchase; new copies are pretty expensive and even though I'm at the beginning, it's excellent so far. $45 or so isn't bad at all for a used SOA DC copy.

Thanks for the links. Those Yiazmat domination videos are amazing; that's some serious damage dealt in a VERY short period. It's been so long since I've played XII that I don't remember if exceeding the damage limit with regular attacks actually counts in the original even though 9999 is the max # displayed. If you hit Yiazmat for 9999 in OG XII and it technically breaks the damage limit, does it count like it does in the Int. version? All I really remember is that in its 2nd stage in the original, you can only hit for 6999 and Yiazmat really ramps up the instant death attacks. Is he easier in FFXII Int. due to the newer, stronger weapons and actually displaying more than 9999 dmg with normal attacks? That berserker strategy is pretty awesome; what weapons were used?

I'm gonna have to upgrade my CPU, PSU, gfx card and maybe even my MB(for a better processor) before I'm able to enjoy the International version at full speed in 1080p. I suppose I could try killing it in the original, but I'm so out of practice that it'll take me a while to readjust and learn how to abuse the gambit system again. The best weapons I have in my old save are the Tournesol, 2 Masamunes, and an Excalibur. I should've used a guide up until getting the Zodiac Spear, because I fucked it up by opening chests I shouldn't have and missed it. I know there's a ridiculously low chance of getting it still, but fuck that nonsense.

I respect XII for its innovation in the series, but I love me some classic ATB-based battles with ridiculously overpowered bosses.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:I use the term backup for legal reasons(even though I backed up CVS2 in late 2001), not because I'm worried about backlash here.
Calling your pirated copies backups is not a legal defense any more than deleting your ROM images after 24 hours is.
You aren't fooling anyone, and you won't slow anyone down for even five seconds if they decide to sue. You're just helping to cast the term in a negative light so the media companies can more easily wage their continued war against customers' rights.

You did not back up Capcom VS SNK2 back in 2001. You downloaded a pirate copy and burned it.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Yuber wrote:It's been so long since I've played XII that I don't remember if exceeding the damage limit with regular attacks actually counts in the original even though 9999 is the max # displayed. If you hit Yiazmat for 9999 in OG XII and it technically breaks the damage limit, does it count like it does in the Int. version? All I really remember is that in its 2nd stage in the original, you can only hit for 6999 and Yiazmat really ramps up the instant death attacks. Is he easier in FFXII Int. due to the newer, stronger weapons and actually displaying more than 9999 dmg with normal attacks?
Remake only, that's why it takes an hour to pull on the US ver - the max damage output is seriously gimped.
That berserker strategy is pretty awesome; what weapons were used?
Ehhh, it's all shown in the setup vid.

enjoy the International version at full speed in 1080p.
>ps2 game
>1080p
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I meant emulated PS2 games with an upscaled/enhanced resolution; you knew what I meant since I was talking about running it on PC. Also Gil, why are you so picky about the terminology I use when it comes to DOWNLOADED, BURNED COPIES of games? Satisfied? Seriously, I don't understand why that's such a big deal although I completely agree with you on opposing draconian copyright legislation. Hopefully new attempts go down in flames like SOPA and PIPA. With MvC2, I actually bought the original game and burned a backup copy in case the original disc got damaged. I do plan on buying SOA once I finish DQ8; I burned a copy just to see if it's something I want to buy. I did pirate/burn CVS2 in 2001 and I don't regret it a bit; I would've bought it if it had been released on the US DC. The PS2 version is inferior(terrible image quality) and I don't own a GC or Xbox.

I'm worried that another attempt at awful copyright legislation will be a "poison pill" inserted into another, more popular bill or alternately, a bill that nobody would normally pay attention to. The latter seems much more likely. Clearly, these jackasses aren't going to give up on this intrusive bullshit. Corporatist is just a fancy term for a sleazy, paid off scumbag and people like that are unfortunately the ones running countries around the world, Obama included.

Also the setup video is in Japanese and the description doesn't list the weapons/gambit setup. Doesn't matter since you answered my question about whether Yiazmat is easier in the Int. version and the answer is yes since you can readily break the damage limit with normal attacks unlike the original. I'm sure he's still hard as hell and the person that made those videos has some very quick reaction time and he/she goes through the menus incredibly fast.

EDIT: I've watched some youtube footage of Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins and it looks pretty good. For those who have played it, is it nearly as hard as the original Ghosts n' Goblins, Ghouls, or SGNG? It looks pretty hard, and I like how various items give you the best of both arcade Ghouls and Super, plus more. It's cheap on amazon so I'll probably buy it. The Maximo PS2 games also look ridiculously hard, especially the 1st one.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:Also Gil, why are you so picky about the terminology I use when it comes to DOWNLOADED, BURNED COPIES of games? Satisfied? Seriously, I don't understand why that's such a big deal although I completely agree with you on opposing draconian copyright legislation.
Then surely you understand why using backup as code for "pirated copy" is detrimental to customer rights?
It vilifies the people who actually DO back up their software.
With MvC2, I actually bought the original game and burned a backup copy in case the original disc got damaged.
Of a GD-ROM? They're pretty hard to back up.
Remember, if YOU make an archival copy it's legal. If you download someone else's copy of a product you own, it's not. And Dreamcast software is not on standard CD-ROM.
It's not IMPOSSIBLE to copy, but... it's difficult.
I'm worried that another attempt at awful copyright legislation will be a "poison pill" inserted into another, more popular bill or alternately, a bill that nobody would normally pay attention to. The latter seems much more likely.
Why, when they can be upfront about it and it goes through just fine?
SOPA was a unique one-off, and wasn't opposed on customer rights. It was opposed on free internet speech grounds, and other equally offensive bills passed by completely un-noticed since everyone was obsessing over SOPA because someone on the internet told them to instead of paying attention to what Congress was doing.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Note: The first 2 paragraphs are off-topic and a response to Gil. No, I bought MvC2 the day it came out, downloaded a pirated copy of it a few months later and burned it to a CD in case the original got damaged; it's not a direct backup. It's been a while since I've burned a game, and the only console I've burned games for is the DC since it's so incredibly easy; you can just put the CD in and it runs like it's a normal game, at least on my DC. I also downloaded Last Blade 2(Japanese) because the English version has semen colored censored blood. When I was burning DC games, I usually did it because a game was either Japan only, an indirect backup of a game I already had, or to test a game out to see if I wanted to buy it(Skies of Arcadia). I've decided to buy the real GD-ROM of SOA since it's like $45-50 used; new copies are very expensive.

I don't think my earlier lingo makes any difference; politicians have been paid off by various media companies to help them make more money via these terrible anti-consumer laws. I understand your sentiment, but they'll keep trying regardless of peoples' lingo. Boycotting supporters of those laws and telling as many people as possible how ridiculously restrictive these laws will be(if passed) are the only things I can think of that could really make a difference. Gil, what do you plan on doing to help stop these awful laws from being passed?

I'd really like to hear an opinion of Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins, and how hard it is compared to other games in the series. Footage of the game looks pretty awesome and I'll probably buy it regardless, but I'd love to hear some personal experiences with the game. I'm mostly a fighter and RPG guy, so the majority of my(very few) accomplishments come from those genres other than beating Ghouls a few times. I've still never beaten Akuma from SSF2 Turbo. That fucker is CHEAP and so incredibly fast.

How long did it take you guys to kill Ozma from FF9 if you managed to pull it off? I probably died 10 times before I got lucky enough to finish it, but those meteors and curses had me cursing up a fucking hurricane. Omega from FF8 isn't that difficult, especially if you're cheap and use Holy Wars and/or you're low leveled; just make sure you have really high speed and of course Aura+Lion Heart. The WEAPONS in FF7 gave me trouble during my 1st playthrough as a kid, but now I can kill them every time I fight them. Ruby is MUCH harder than Emerald. I do consider killing both Omega and Shinryu from FF5(SNES) to be an accomplishment though. Killed Omega 3rd try, Shinryu 1st.

I refuse to use a guide for DQ8; are there any "superbosses" in that game?

Although they were my 2nd playthroughs and I used FAQs sometimes, I felt pretty damn good after I got all 108 characters in both Suikoden 1 and 2. There aren't any particularly difficult enemies/bosses in that game, although Luca Blight is one of the coolest boss fights in any RPG. The 1-on-1 fight was the cherry on top, and he's just a complete monster of a villain.

The maggot boss in Ghouls killed me a lot, as did the final stage where you go through that ridiculous gauntlet followed by Beelzebub. Lucifer was so laughably easy that I killed him in gold armor in my last arcade playthrough. I die quite a bit in Ghouls, so I probably couldn't beat the Supergrafix version, but I'll eventually try and probably go insane with frustration. Super Ghouls after Ballsack Barnacle/2nd boss is ridiculously hard, especially considering how bad I am at properly timing double jumps. The psycho cannon seems pretty nerfed too since it's so damn slow.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote: Gil, what do you plan on doing to help stop these awful laws from being passed?
Bitch about it on the internet, of course, and attempt to persuade people from making it EASIER by adopting the terminology of guaranteed legal rights for their blatantly illegal activities.

When I can talk about backing up my stuff without being accused of piracy, I'll quit bitching about people using backup to mean pirated copy.
Similarly, when I can speak of ROMs and have people understand I mean physical chips, I'll quit bitching about misuse of the term.

You're acting like I blame you for pirating out-of-print Dreamcast titles. I don't care that you pirate them. I do too. I just care you call them backups.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Yuber wrote:How long did it take you guys to kill Ozma from FF9 if you managed to pull it off? I probably died 10 times before I got lucky enough to finish it, but those meteors and curses had me cursing up a fucking hurricane.
ozma took a few times the first try, mostly because i kept missing status effects to nullify. once you've done that, though, it's just a matter of not being dumb and finishing him off before he starts to spam curaga.

if you've been paying any attention during the game, then you have multiple characters who can deal a guaranteed 9000+ per turn. it only takes 8 hits (7 if your average damage is over ~9400). thievery, dragon's crest, shock, holy/flare (especially doublecast), ark (which plays out long enough for regen to do amazing things)...

autohaste + autoregen + status negation on everyone. mighty guard to nerf meteor, and just heal people until Zidane is done robbing the sky marble blind. then, unleash all of your big attacks starting immediately after ozzy's next turn.

one time, i made an incredibly stupid mistake, got wiped, and still won with everyone alive thanks to the 50/50 miracle a la Phoenix Pinion.
Yuber wrote:I refuse to use a guide for DQ8; are there any "superbosses" in that game?
as is par for the course in DQ, yes - in the post-game.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I killed Ozma without completing the friendly monster sidequest so Ark or Doomsday would've healed him. I have no idea how I managed to kill him without auto-life(wasted a lot of points on status defense) or Dragon's Crest. I used Thievery(Zidane), Shock(Steiner), boosted Bahamut when I didn't need healing(Garnet/dagger), and Flare or Meteor with Vivi. I should've swapped out Vivi for Freya and used Dragon's Crest, but at the time I hadn't leveled her properly or killed enough dragons to hit 9999. I got incredibly lucky with Vivi's Meteor spell and did 8000+ every time in my successful run. I was around lvl 65 so it was pretty much pure luck. If I had done the friendly monster quest, Ark would've been VERY useful since regen could've almost completely healed my party during that awesome animation. Doomsday+shadow resistant armor would've been very useful for healing too. I consider me killing Ozma an accomplishment mainly because I didn't do the FM quest.

I didn't even use Quina at the time and had basically no blue magic or a coherent strategy to kill Ozma. I know what to do now but back then I had no idea what I was doing.

FF9, at least imo, has some of the coolest looking spell effects in any RPG, and things like flare(and flare star, nice FF6 reference), Holy, and all the summons still look fantastic today, especially in epsxe. My only beef with FF9 is that the battles are too slow even with the speed cranked up to max, but once you get auto-haste it's a lot better.

I have very limited experience with the DQ series, so I'll probably miss a lot of references/things that are standard. Nice to know there are some ridiculously hard bosses though.

I really wish FF6 had some ridiculous superbosses as well, but even in the GBA version the Kaiser Dragon and Omega are incredibly easy even without abusing Quick and GG/Offering+Ultima Weapons. The FF3nova hack is pretty damn hard though, and even Kefka is ridiculously hard and can kill you instantly if you're not prepared. Quick has also been removed and changed into a spell called "X-Wall" that raises defense and magic defense. I challenge FF6 experts to try that hack(the dialogue has been messed up some + font change) because it's an interesting hardtype hack, and there's an Ultima Weapon clone named Genesis replacing Hidon that will absolutely destroy you.

Unlike the original, the final boss has(wild guess) around 500,000 HP and has many attacks that do 9999 to single characters, and his spells will kill your entire party unless you use Life 3. Genesis is even harder, with(wild guess again) around 800,000-900,000 HP and it just loves casting Quasar, Meteor, and iirc Ultima as well. Life3 is required. I consider beating that hack to be an accomplishment on my end; it is HARD.
odditude

Post by odditude »

Yuber wrote:FF9, at least imo, has some of the coolest looking spell effects in any RPG, and things like flare(and flare star, nice FF6 reference), Holy, and all the summons still look fantastic today
for once, we agree on something.

hell, flare was always the cool-looking spell - it broke my heart when i finally unlocked flare in X and let 'er rip - and it was a pathetic little puddle of flame.

i will always love the sound of flare on IV (nuke, bitches!)... vvt vvt vvt vvt vvt CHKOU
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Yuber wrote:How long did it take you guys to kill Ozma from FF9 if you managed to pull it off? I probably died 10 times before I got lucky enough to finish it, but those meteors and curses had me cursing up a fucking hurricane.
I managed to die several times to Ozma before finally slaying it.
odditude wrote:if you've been paying any attention during the game, then you have multiple characters who can deal a guaranteed 9000+ per turn. it only takes 8 hits (7 if your average damage is over ~9400). thievery, dragon's crest, shock, holy/flare (especially doublecast), ark (which plays out long enough for regen to do amazing things)...
problem with most of those, you need to grind those spells out for a long time. And you forgot the Frog Drop for Quina.

and I never knew FF9 had a doublecast, unless you mean Vivi and Eiko, and even still Vivi uses black magic only and Eiko uses white magic only. And even still from that, it only occurs in Trance.

as for Ark, I refuse to get it before fighting Ozma. IIRC you get a Pumice Piece after defeating Ark and another doing the Chocobo hot & cold and you can steal one off Ozma. If you beat Ozma BEFORE beating Hades, you'll get that extra line before battle saying something about They defeated Ozma?! ..and something after that.
odditude wrote:autohaste + autoregen + status negation on everyone. mighty guard to nerf meteor, and just heal people until Zidane is done robbing the sky marble blind. then, unleash all of your big attacks starting immediately after ozzy's next turn.
I'd also attach items that can absorb or nullify shadow and holy on each character. Before this point like I said you can get two Pumice Pieces, now it's up to you to get other armors that can negate/null shadow and holy.
odditude wrote:one time, i made an incredibly stupid mistake, got wiped, and still won with everyone alive thanks to the 50/50 miracle a la Phoenix Pinion.
I always thought that even with 99 phoenix pinions in stock there was a ~33-36% chance of the Phoenix coming down...?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
odditude

Post by odditude »

adventure_of_link wrote:problem with most of those, you need to grind those spells out for a long time.
only dragon's crest and frog drop. thievery - i tend to be doing 9999 by midgame (he's a thief. damn near everyone has stuff worth stealing. you deserve to get your ass beat if you haven't abused it.)
adventure_of_link wrote:And you forgot the Frog Drop for Quina.
yeah, forgot frog drop.
adventure_of_link wrote:and I never knew FF9 had a doublecast, unless you mean Vivi and Eiko, and even still Vivi uses black magic only and Eiko uses white magic only. And even still from that, it only occurs in Trance.
right - flare for vivi, holy for eiko, and of course i meant tranced.
adventure_of_link wrote:I'd also attach items that can absorb or nullify shadow and holy on each character.
yep, forgot about happy doomsday healing.
adventure_of_link wrote:I always thought that even with 99 phoenix pinions in stock there was a ~33-36% chance of the Phoenix coming down...?
that's entirely possible; i'm just working from memory, and it's been two or three years since my last playthrough.

seriously, though, if you're not doing 9999 with thievery, you're doing it wrong. i remember on my first playthrough when i got that ability, i was terrified why it was doing such obscene damage for such little MP - i assumed it was spending gil or somesuch til i looked it up.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

odditude wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:problem with most of those, you need to grind those spells out for a long time.
only dragon's crest and frog drop. thievery - i tend to be doing 9999 by midgame (he's a thief. damn near everyone has stuff worth stealing. you deserve to get your ass beat if you haven't abused it.)
Actually, I tend to steal from the bosses only. If you don't at least do that much, you're a noob... seriously, for the most part you'll stay a step ahead of the game, equipment wise. (except of course for Hiligigars with that damned Fairy Flute.. you EVER get a hold of that thing you'll be ahead weapon wise for Eiko.)

Additionally, thievery works by (# of successful steals * Speed stat of Zidane) / 2 right? even with a speed stat of fifty it's gonna take a while to grind it... :o :shock: (as a hint you'd need 400 steals in order to deal 9999 damage with a speed stat of 50.)
odditude wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:and I never knew FF9 had a doublecast, unless you mean Vivi and Eiko, and even still Vivi uses black magic only and Eiko uses white magic only. And even still from that, it only occurs in Trance.
right - flare for vivi, holy for eiko, and of course i meant tranced.
Gotcha. :)
odditude wrote:seriously, though, if you're not doing 9999 with thievery, you're doing it wrong. i remember on my first playthrough when i got that ability, i was terrified why it was doing such obscene damage for such little MP - i assumed it was spending gil or somesuch til i looked it up.
why get terrified? :? I mean, you have a skill that did like insane amounts of damage with such low MP = instant win. Hell you can even abuse the basic Jump spell in Super Mario RPG and annihilate Booster's Snifits with one good shot, even if your levels are in the single digits. And this is midgame mind you.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
odditude

Post by odditude »

adventure_of_link wrote:
odditude wrote:i remember on my first playthrough when i got that ability, i was terrified why it was doing such obscene damage for such little MP - i assumed it was spending gil or somesuch til i looked it up.
why get terrified? :? I mean, you have a skill that did like insane amounts of damage with such low MP = instant win.
because the only low-cost, high-reward skills i'd seen in an FF game thus far had spent your cash.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I was also disappointed with FFX's flare animation. FF4-9 have badass looking flare effects and I agree with you on the sound effects of FF4 Flare; it sounds so powerful, as it should. FFX's flare animation looks like someone lit a fart, especially compared to the awesome looking FF9 animation. I consider X to be a downgrade as a whole because it sacrificed the world map/exploration for a more "cinematic", linear game. Also Tidus' voice and that silly outfit made me want to knock his ass out every time he opened his mouth. The summon overdrives in X look pretty good, but 9 still has my favorite effects as a whole. In both the PSP and DS remakes of IV, I think SE completely fucked up Flare's sense of impact and made it look & sound puny.

I have a CT savestate in the Ocean Palace(1st game, no NG+) so I can power level and try to kill Lavos. I tried a few times when I was a kid but the furthest I got was its 2nd form; his opening attack is powerful as hell if you're under level 45 or so with shitty equipment. The Nova Armor you can charm off the goons in the Black Omen makes a huge difference defense wise, plus it has status protection so I can use an accessory to increase strength and/or magic.

I'll try fighting Ozma again once I replay FF9, but I've got a pretty big backlog of RPGs atm so it'll be several months at least. I didn't have Ark when I fought Ozma either, but if I had done the FM quest Doomsday would've helped a lot since it would've actually hurt him plus with the right equipment it's a perfect offensive and defensive spell. In FFXII original, I don't think I have the patience to kill Yiazmat, but once I upgrade my computer and play International I'll kill him. I may try a few times in the original but it's going to be ridiculously frustrating.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote: I have a CT savestate in the Ocean Palace(1st game, no NG+) so I can power level and try to kill Lavos. I tried a few times when I was a kid but the furthest I got was its 2nd form; his opening attack is powerful as hell if you're under level 45 or so with shitty equipment.
May I ask why you don't just do it on a replay instead? It's not like there's any real difference between grinding levels in one place or coming back with a replay file.

Especially as Ocean Palace Lavos seems to be the hardest enemy in the game, from where I'm sitting.
I've had parties that can wipe the floor with Guyver Lavos and tear through the core like it was nothing. And they were wiped out by two shots of Destruction Rains From the Heavens Omega EX Turbo Edition before they ever got to act.
The powered-up DRFTH trumps anything but 1-HP attacks and instant death attacks for raw power, and his speed is off the charts. If you made it through THAT, then I'm surprised the innards stopped you.
You've got a LOT of grinding to do.

If it's for the developer room ending, it's far easier to get it by hopping into the right telepod with Marle before the first scripted time travel incident happens. Hell, it's easier to solo all three forms with Crono than take out the Ocean Palace form, IMNSHO.

If it's for the street cred... grind with replay, then equip area-appropriate gear before you re-enter the ocean palace and just ignore most of your item menu. It's a far more enjoyable way to accomplish the same thing.

'S one thing I like about CT. There's no modifiers applied to replay files.
Parasite Eve 2 disappointed me in that regard. Replays don't offer a "normal health, normal items, normal enemies" option. There's "Aya's overpowered as fuck" mode, "Aya's half-dead and can't get gear" mode, "crazy fuckers everywhere" mode, and "crazy fuckers everywhere AND Aya's half-dead and can't get gear" mode.
To paraphrase the game's descriptions.

And no, I never did clear nightmare mode.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I've killed Ocean Palace Lavos in NG+ several times; I'm simply doing it to challenge myself. Every time I've fought him during a replay, I've wiped the floor with him because I was at least level 50 or so with really good equipment. Trying to kill him at a low level without NG+ is pretty damn hard. I knew about(and completed) the 2 ways to get the dev room ending when I was a kid, but I just wanna try and do something I was unable to do when I was younger. It's the one thing in CT that'll give me a good challenge since there aren't any ridiculous superbosses.

In FF7, I've killed both Ruby and Emerald without KOTR or mime many times, but I cheated every time by using the w-item bug on megalixirs and hero drinks. Next time I replay FF7 I'd like to kill them that way without abusing w-item.

FF4DS is on hold, but from the videos I've seen of the fight, that proto-babil looks HARD. It sucks that you can only fight it during a replay, but I'm determined to kill that thing. Getting onion swords is going to be a massive pain in the ass, but I want at least 1 for Kain. SE sure made flare look like shit in this remake, and the awesome sound effects from the SNES version are replaced by a pretty generic, weak sound effect and look. Otherwise it's a fantastic remake, although I wish it would've originally been developed on stronger hardware.