Best Street Fighter

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Who was better?

Ken
40%
Ryu
60%

Total votes: 25

Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Best Street Fighter

Post by Nach »

From the street fighter series, which character was more impressive?

Ken or Ryu?

Some differences to note...
In SF2, Ken did somesaults during his kick powered throw, and his Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku can hit multiple times.
In SSF2, Ken flamed up his Shoryuken, and Ryu powered up his Hadoken.

In later on games they split even more as Ken gets Shoryureppa, Shinruken, and Shippu Jinrai Kyaku, and Ryu gets Shinku Hadoken, Shinku Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku, and the Shin Shoryuken.

And well, the other minor differences in the later Vs. series and Ex series should be obvious.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Joe Camacho »

I find it easier to hit someone with the Shinhadoken.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
xaimus
SUICIDE BOMBER LOLz

Post by xaimus »

which one has a stance that would fit with WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
nailbiter
Rookie

Post by nailbiter »

I like using Ken, I like his faster attacks and movement.
Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku and Shippu Jinrai Kyaku for extreme awsomeness.

A freind of mine doesn't like using Ken because he thinks the Japanese ripped off the Barbie version of Ken and is making fun of us by putting him in the game, or something like that.

Then I beat the shit out of him with Ken and all he can do is shut his mouth.
The board is cursed, and so am I.
[quote="kilivipin"]I clean my blocked up toilet with a magic boner, too.[/quote]
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

I dislike Street Fighter intensely, so neither.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

If I had to pick, I'd pick Ken.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
DarkDragoon
Soul Hacker

Post by DarkDragoon »

I picked Ken, partially because I have a friend who's name is also Ken Masters and happens to look a lot like SF Ken.
Toot toot Sonic Warrior, deep in space and time
Toot toot Sonic Warrior, forever in your mind
Nothing can survive the will to stay alive
'cause if you try, you can do anything
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Clements wrote:I dislike Street Fighter intensely, so neither.
Seconded. I also thought it was highly retarded they couldn't get over the number 2 for almost a decade.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Sith
Lurker

Post by Sith »

They're both good all round fighters.
(off topic:My fav. SF is still the first snes version of SFII)
[url=http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com/]Zsnes WIP[/url]
[url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/?page=bsnes]Bsnes[/url] by Byuu
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion[/url] by SteveSnake
[url=http://www.viceteam.org/]Vice[/url] by Viceteam
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Nightcrawler wrote:
I also thought it was highly retarded they couldn't get over the number 2 for almost a decade.
Same here. Currently I'm playing 3rd Strike or the EX games. Still, Street Fighter is not my favorite fighter.
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Nightcrawler wrote:
Seconded. I also thought it was highly retarded they couldn't get over the number 2 for almost a decade.
Thirded in agreement. The only fighting game I'd touch with these two in it is Marvel vs. Capcom.
Demios
"Flametongue"

Post by Demios »

Ryu Vs Ken

Hadouken - Ryu's is stronger.

Shoryuken - Ken is stronger.

Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku - Ryu's hits harder.

Joudan Sokutou Geri - a Ryu only step kick to the gut.

Sakotsu Wari - Foward medium punch, nice overhead 2 hit punch, great for turtlers, Ryu only.

Hatobi Kudaki - Foward fierce punch, nice two hitter to the guy, Ryu only.
Shinkuu Hadouken: Super Fireball... Ryu only.

Shin Shoryuken: Sucks you in better than Ken's Shoryureppa and Shinryuken, not to mention in the SFIII series does more damage than the raging demon. Yes this super takes over half your life and you can tag a Joudan Sokutou Geri after it. Time it right and they fall right on your gut kick. Whaaaaat and extra hit after a super is done? Ryu only.

Denjin Hadouken - A super fireball that has to be charged and does stun damage. A full bar auto stuns, and a decent player knows where to go for combos after that. Takes forever to charge though and can be easy to aprry, but wait, if you rotate your joystick fast enough while charging you get a full on, which lets you use it in a combo. combo -> stun -> combo. Ryu only.

Shinkuu Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku - Super hurricane kick. Ryu only. Although ken gets the Shipuujinrai Kyaku which is basically a flashier Shinkuu Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku it's still weaker and does not have a vacum effect.

Yeah, Ken is faster, but Ryu still hits harder, Ken also has moves that feint step cancel and feint step kick. He also gets a roll. Ryu is slower but much more technical character, with lots of options for getting out of holes. Not to mention I like his stories and back stories better. Better defensive character, technical offensive.
nailbiter
Rookie

Post by nailbiter »

But you also need to consider that Ryu usually doesn't get as many hits in as Ken, partially because each hit does more damage than Ken so he doesn't NEED to hit as much and also because (in my experience) a lot of Ryu's attacks seem to knock the opponent away. Plus his slower attacks and recovery often make him a big target for anyone that's played for more than 5 minutes.

Don't just look at the power of the attacks.
The board is cursed, and so am I.
[quote="kilivipin"]I clean my blocked up toilet with a magic boner, too.[/quote]
Demios
"Flametongue"

Post by Demios »

nailbiter wrote:But you also need to consider that Ryu usually doesn't get as many hits in as Ken, partially because each hit does more damage than Ken so he doesn't NEED to hit as much and also because (in my experience) a lot of Ryu's attacks seem to knock the opponent away. Plus his slower attacks and recovery often make him a big target for anyone that's played for more than 5 minutes.

Don't just look at the power of the attacks.
Look at the technical. Ryu forces you to play it safe. Never use a move with high recovery frame with Ryu, unless you are sure and certain it will hit or it's part of a combo you have already started. All I see in Ken is speed, flashiness, less damage, and lack of versatility.
Amadalus
Rookie

Post by Amadalus »

I dislike both f them, and much prefer Akuma or better yet, Dan.

But if I HAD to choose one, it would be Ryu.
"HA! What IS this? Sacred Tome!? More like...Sucky...Dumb...Thing!" - Lord Zetta
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Nightcrawler wrote:
Lets see, SF2 came out in 91 and had SFCE, SF2T, SSF2 and SSF2T.
Then there were real sequals:
SFA - 95
SFA2 - 96
SFZ2A - 96
X-Men Vs. Street Fighter 2 - 96
Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter - 97
Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix - 97
Street Fighter 3 New Generation - 97
Street Fighter 3 2nd Impact - 97
Street Fighter Ex - 97
SFA3 - 98
Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike - 99
Street Fighter Ex 2 - 2000

So we look back on this list, and we see a sequal as early as 95, we see very different gameplay in 96, we see the number 3 in 97 as well as 3D and they kept at it.

A decade would be 2001, almost a decade could be quantified perhaps as 2000 or 1999, yet we see points disproving your statement regardless of how you look at it in 95, 96 or 97. Care to explain?
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by casualsax3 »

You just got served, straight up Nach!
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Against an excellent human 2P:

I kill faster with Ken
Battles with Ryu last longer but usually feature very good technical moves

I'm gonna say Ken, just because his attack pattern is better at puzzle fighter.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

In Street Fighter EX+a, and Streetfighter EX3, I like Ryu over ken.

Jump Fierce Kick, Foot sweep, fireball, super fireball. I love it.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Personally, I generally pick one of them when playing a street fighter game. Which one I pick though depends on the game, since it some I see clear cut how one is better than the other.
Although in Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter, I pick both ;)

Post by Agozer »

Nach wrote:Although in Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter, I pick both ;)
Let me guess: Because the two work well together when you pull off a Tag Team Super?
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Nach wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:
Lets see, SF2 came out in 91 and had SFCE, SF2T, SSF2 and SSF2T.
Then there were real sequals:
SFA - 95
SFA2 - 96
SFZ2A - 96
X-Men Vs. Street Fighter 2 - 96
Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter - 97
Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix - 97
Street Fighter 3 New Generation - 97
Street Fighter 3 2nd Impact - 97
Street Fighter Ex - 97
SFA3 - 98
Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike - 99
Street Fighter Ex 2 - 2000

So we look back on this list, and we see a sequal as early as 95, we see very different gameplay in 96, we see the number 3 in 97 as well as 3D and they kept at it.

A decade would be 2001, almost a decade could be quantified perhaps as 2000 or 1999, yet we see points disproving your statement regardless of how you look at it in 95, 96 or 97. Care to explain?
Yes.. Look at all those games. They never got past the number 2 until '97. When I looked up SF3, I wrongly picked 3rd strike as my benchmark year which was '99. That's 8 years. That's nearly a decade in relative terms in my eyes.

Little did I know they were JUST as retarded and released several Street Fighter 3 iterations.

So.. in correction, it took them 6 years to get past the number 2. Over half a decade with too many iterations of the same damn game. I don't dispute spinoffs being different and and slight gameplay improvements, but they are beyond the scope of what I was talking about.

They were retarded with 2. They seem to be just as retarded with 3. Capcom and the Street Fighter series reek of mental retardation.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

The Street Fighter 3 editions were all very unique.

I think it's better that they recognized that they weren't changing anything significant and decided to leave the number at 2 for so long.

You have to admit we'd all be giving Capcom a harder time if they were up to Street Fighter 17.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

casualsax3 wrote: You have to admit we'd all be giving Capcom a harder time if they were up to Street Fighter 17.
Actually, last I checked there's >50 games in the Street Fighter series.
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Agozer wrote:
Nach wrote:Although in Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter, I pick both ;)
Let me guess: Because the two work well together when you pull off a Tag Team Super?
What do you mean by tag team super? If you mean the Double Shinku Hadoken, it's quite nice, but it's hardly something to base your team off of.

Both fighters have incredable finesse, and either one can take on any player in the game well, with just sometimes one doing a bit of a better job than theother. Having both your very well rounded.

You'll also notice how complementary their moves are. Since you can bring your teammate for a special attack, you can give Ken extra long reach with Ryu, and give Ryu an excellent anti air attack.