The Nintendo 64 turns 10

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

snkcube
Hero of Time

The Nintendo 64 turns 10

Post by snkcube »

Wow, I had fun today. I played a bunch of N64 games with my friends. I never knew how much fun Goldeneye 007 is.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Time flies fast huh
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Mike
ZBoard Prince

Re: The Nintendo 64 turns 10

Post by Mike »

snkcube wrote:Wow, I had fun today. I played a bunch of N64 games with my friends. I never knew how much fun Goldeneye 007 is.
Oh man you've been missing out for ten years then. Goldeneye 007 is like one of the greatest games of all time. If i'm not mistaking it won Game of the year twice.
**Prince of the Zsnes board**
*Smash Champ*
Aaron
Lurker

Post by Aaron »

Mike wrote:Oh man you've been missing out for ten years then. Goldeneye 007 is like one of the greatest games of all time. If i'm not mistaking it won Game of the year twice.
I like it and Perfect Dark.

Some of my favorite N64 games include...: Mischief Makers, Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Stadium... uhh... Some other games, but those are "less known" ones :B.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Mike wrote:
snkcube wrote:Wow, I had fun today. I played a bunch of N64 games with my friends. I never knew how much fun Goldeneye 007 is.
Oh man you've been missing out for ten years then. Goldeneye 007 is like one of the greatest games of all time. If i'm not mistaking it won Game of the year twice.
Actually, I did play it many years ago. It's just that I now realised how much fun multiplayer is.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Mike
ZBoard Prince

Post by Mike »

snkcube wrote:
Mike wrote:
Actually, I did play it many years ago. It's just that I now realised how much fun multiplayer is.
I know you realised it well, kind of late, no hard feelings BTW.
*Smash Champ*
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

Mike wrote:
Just twice, huh?

check out KoToR.

i sucked at goldeneye, but man, i had some good times with the n64.

i think that mario64 remains of the most pivotal games EVER.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

There are just so many things that happened on the N64 that are still industry standards today, both in hardware and games. I'm not even gonna try to list it all. Sometimes you'll hear someone say the system sucked. Well opinions are opinions and stuff, but really, that's just one of those things that transcend opinion and become universally false no matter how you look at it.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

snkcube wrote:
Mike wrote:
Its funny, someone's making a Goldeneye Source Mod now.

http://www.goldeneyesource.com
Mike
ZBoard Prince

Post by Mike »

sweener2001 wrote:
Mike wrote:
Just twice, huh?

check out KoToR.

i sucked at goldeneye, but man, i had some good times with the n64.

i think that mario64 remains of the most pivotal games EVER.

KoToR?

I was pretty good in Goldeneye back in the days, I suck now. I played like 2 months ago with friends, and I got my behind handed to me. I really suck at that game these days.
*Smash Champ*
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

Whenever I played golden eye someone would always be a cheap bastard and use that golden gun that kills in 1 shot, cheaping out all the noobs who have never played it before.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

GoldenEye was a great game. It revolutionized first person shooters and multiplayer, at least in my eyes.

And yes, KotOR is awesome. I really hope they make a KotOR III.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

I had Quest64.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Mike
ZBoard Prince

Post by Mike »

Joe Camacho wrote:I had Quest64.
Was it a good game?
*Smash Champ*
Aaron
Lurker

Post by Aaron »

Mike wrote:
Was it a good game?
Yeah, it's pretty fun. I suggest emulating it, or buying it if you can.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Aaron wrote:
Mike wrote:
Was it a good game?
Yeah, it's pretty fun. I suggest emulating it, or buying it if you can.
WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?

The only good thing about that game is the battle system, and even then..

You CAN'T buy healing items.
It takes forever to level up spells.
The only effective way to recover HP is Items, YOU CAN'T BUY.
The only effective way to recover MP is running around in CIRCLES.
You get more HP the more the HIT you.
You get Stronger the more YOU HIT enemies with your STAFF.
After a battle, the camera would RANDOMLY set itself.
The maps were BARREN.
The story was cliché in it's BEST.

In this time and age, with all the games and systems that are available, I wouldn't recommend this game to NO-ONE. I had a crave for RPGs, and it was the only one available, I made a MISTAKE, I won't allow more to do the SAME.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Joe Camacho wrote:You CAN'T buy healing items.
You get one of each kind free if you don't have any left though!
It takes forever to level up spells.
True, however I find that the battles and animations go extremely quickly and smoothly so I don't find levelling as annoying in this game.
The only effective way to recover HP is Items, YOU CAN'T BUY.
Now that first part is simply not true. Simply put -all- your points into the water element from the beginning of the game, until it's full, and then healing spells will become very powerful early on and you will never have to use another healing item again, except for boss battles, for which you can then save them up (I had absolutely loads by the end).
The only effective way to recover MP is running around in CIRCLES.
Just running, really. And it goes up really fast. And since you have to run to get to your destination, well, I've never had any trouble.
You get more HP the more the HIT you.
Well it does make sense. =p
You get Stronger the more YOU HIT enemies with your STAFF.
I believe hitting enemies was related to the defense stat only. The strength of spells would only depend on the level of the element.
After a battle, the camera would RANDOMLY set itself.
Bit of vital info: when he does his little victory jump after the battle, your character -always- turns back the exact way he was facing when you entered the battle. Yeah, I don't think it says so in the manual. But once you realise that you'll never have a problem with navigation again.
The maps were BARREN.
Yup. Though some of the forests were strangely creepy through their barren-ness, which I used to like. =p
The story was cliché in it's BEST.
I'd go so far as saying Mystic Quest's story was epic compared to it.

All in all, the game had a nice idea for a battle system that would have -greatly- benefitted from having more than one character in your party. Like I said, the battles went really quickly and smoothly, making it a lot less tedious than most RPG's, IMO. If you were strong enough to defeat the enemies in one turn, you could have entered a battle, win, do the victory dance, and be back on the world map, all in the same amount of time it would take FF7 to do the "swoosh" effect before an encounter. And I'm not even exaggerating that, probably. Oh how I miss the lack of loading times on carts.

I've always thought the game deserved a remake, or re-imagining or whatever. It sucked so much, yet it had something, Idunno. I thought that if there were to be a remake then the girl with the white pants you always meet at every inn would actually have to be in your party or something (making for a much needed second extra character with different attributes and fighting style). And there would be actual cutscenes or at least some kind of real tangible storyline. Better art direction. There would be much more stuff to do in towns and dungeons. All those countless non-developed characters would receive some more attention.

Ah well.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

Mike wrote: KoToR?
wow.

are you retarded? over 40 game of the year awards. 40. granted, this day and age, that isn't as big a deal, but it still is. mostly because i'm pretty sure that more than 2 places that are respected are included.

how can you consider yourself a gamer, post on these boards, and not know about effing Knights of the Old Republic?

i demand that your title be changed.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

Fooled by Club Nintendo too?

Try Hybrid Heaven, its a much better game, and pretty different. Too bad more polished versions of this type of games are not out.
_-|-_
Mike
ZBoard Prince

Post by Mike »

sweener2001 wrote:
Mike wrote: KoToR?
wow.

are you retarded? over 40 game of the year awards. 40. granted, this day and age, that isn't as big a deal, but it still is. mostly because i'm pretty sure that more than 2 places that are respected are included.

how can you consider yourself a gamer, post on these boards, and not know about effing Knights of the Old Republic?

i demand that your title be changed.
Whoa whoa whoa chill out sweener, I didn't know what KoToR stood for knights of the old republic. I know about that game though.
*Smash Champ*