Final Fantasy XII leaked?

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Jikmo
Hazed

Final Fantasy XII leaked?

Post by Jikmo »

Apparently it's been showing up places. I don't seem to have any DVD+Rs so I can't try it yet :( but people are reporting that it's real.
[quote="The Sage Of Time"]You're a cruel and terrible person.
Don't ever change.[/quote]
I don't think I've ever felt so touched before in my life
Demios
"Flametongue"

Post by Demios »

sage for nuked beta version
[img]http://demios.whattheboat.com/userbar/random.jpeg[/img]
Jikmo
Hazed

Post by Jikmo »

English please?

Everyone's claiming that it's a leaked final version. Are you telling me that it's actually a beta? Do you know that for sure or are you just saying that from speculation.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

I'll never play any broken unfinished stuff, but I do hope that'll teach companies not to leave us hanging for months or even a year after the japanese release of a game. Fat chance though.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

What the fuck do you mean, you hope it teaches them to not leave you hanging? That's fucking retarded. Why would Square not want to get it out and making them money as soon as possible? I'd rather wait another year and have it be fucking excellent and pollished.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

casualsax3 wrote:Why would Square not want to get it out and making them money as soon as possible? I'd rather wait another year and have it be fucking excellent and pollished.
I don't know. Look at Xenogears, Legend of Mana, Chrono Cross, etc. They never released those in Europe. It's not that uncommon that we are forced to wait for a release 10 to 18 months after the initial release, and half of that time is spent wondering whether Europe gets a release date at all.

Whenever I look at game release date charts, 99% of the time Europe gets a shady 'To Be Confirmed' or just a blatant "There are no plans for a PAL release at this point in time".
Last edited by Agozer on Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Ah, well that's definitely a valid concern...
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

If you don't live in Europe, you wouldn't understand. >_>
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

once europe gets rid of the hodge-podge of content and hate speech laws, you'd start seeing more release dates.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Jikmo
Hazed

Post by Jikmo »

I haven't been up on the news, but what didn't they finish?
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

funkyass wrote:once europe gets rid of the hodge-podge of content and hate speech laws, you'd start seeing more release dates.
Hate speech laws?

Edit.- Now I know what they are.. Color me confused, but what do they have to do with game releases? Other than the obvious "No wolfestein in Germany" and stuff.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

funkyass wrote:once europe gets rid of the hodge-podge of content and hate speech laws, you'd start seeing more release dates.
After hearing one of those right-wing idiots on TV recently, I'm glad that we have those laws.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Oh, must be because "Europe" is not a single country like the US. I don't know or care what goes on to the south or east of here because frankly those are entirely different cultures. There is absolutely nothing over here (Netherlands) that would prevent anyone at all from just bringing out their game as is (provided it's in English at least). There is not a single fucking excuse.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

blackmyst wrote:
I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Oh, must be because "Europe" is not a single country like the US. I don't know or care what goes on to the south or east of here because frankly those are entirely different cultures. There is absolutely nothing over here (Netherlands) that would prevent anyone at all from just bringing out their game as is (provided it's in English at least). There is not a single fucking excuse.
I thought that games in Europe need to be translated to X amount of languages in order to be released.. I don't think that is related to Hate speech laws, but oh well, I buy all my games in the US anyway.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

blackmyst wrote:There is absolutely nothing over here (Netherlands) that would prevent anyone at all from just bringing out their game as is (provided it's in English at least). There is not a single fucking excuse.
Same thing over here.

About the translation requirement (I don't know a whole lot about it so don't take what I say as gospel): Some european countries demand all content (meaning movies etc. dubbed and video games translated, for example) to be provided in their own language (meaning movies etc. dubbed and video games translated, for example). I don't know exactly which ones, but Scandinavia (and the Netherlands) aren't one of them for sure.
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

In germany anything hateful, or bloody needs to be removed IIRC.

Localization for France needs to be done by french localizers IIRC(ie Ubi Montreal's french work needs to "retranslated" in france).

I wouldn't be surprised if other EU members have similar laws to deal with.

You also have 2 different color encoding schemes to deal with(PAL and SECAM).

There is also probably data retention and privacy issues to deal with in the future.

In Short, Europe is a hassle to sell stuff to, and Europeans have only themselves to blame.

Jikmo
Hazed

Post by Jikmo »

goddamnit... I want to play the game, but my PS2 won't read my DVD-Rs... I need to somehow get some DVD+Rs
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Maybe try burning your DVD's at 1 or 2x also.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Jikmo
Hazed

Post by Jikmo »

No good, doesn't change anything. However, my RAs PS2 can run DVD-Rs fine. He is now about 45 minutes into the game and quite happy.

... But I'm still sad :(
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

funkyass wrote:You also have 2 different color encoding schemes to deal with(PAL and SECAM).
Isn't this handled entirely by the hardware now?
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

funkyass wrote:In germany anything hateful, or bloody needs to be removed IIRC.

Localization for France needs to be done by french localizers IIRC(ie Ubi Montreal's french work needs to "retranslated" in france).

I wouldn't be surprised if other EU members have similar laws to deal with.
No, we don't. We are not that kind of country.
You also have 2 different color encoding schemes to deal with(PAL and SECAM).
We've never had SECAM, but regardless, TV's that support SECAM only aren't sold anymore anywhere in the world.
There is also probably data retention and privacy issues to deal with in the future.
What does data retention have to do with it? You mean when buying games over Steam or something? And that in no way explains past history of this issue anyway.
In Short, Europe is a hassle to sell stuff to, and Europeans have only themselves to blame.
Ehhh, we are a European country, we have ourselves to blame because of something someone else does? Whether or not Germany won't have blood in their games, I don't have anything to do with that, I don't give a shit. If a state in the US outlaws some kind of game for some dumb reason, it will still get sold in the rest of the country. Why is it not the same for Europe?

There are NO laws that affect Europe as a whole that prevent any sort of game in the industry right now from being sold here.

Joe Camacho wrote:
blackmyst wrote:
I thought that games in Europe need to be translated to X amount of languages in order to be released.. I don't think that is related to Hate speech laws, but oh well, I buy all my games in the US anyway.
To my knowledge there is no such requirement. Regardless, only like 1% of games are ever translated into my langage anyway, and even if they are I'll always buy the English version or choose the English option (as does everybody else I know), because for some reason translators can never NOT make it sound so incredibly cringeworthy that DBZ English translations will seem like high literature. And I have never in my life seen a game where the voice acting was actually translated too. That's right, it's only text. Americans get voices, too.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

blackmyst wrote:Ehhh, we are a European country, we have ourselves to blame because of something someone else does? Whether or not Germany won't have blood in their games, I don't have anything to do with that, I don't give a shit. If a state in the US outlaws some kind of game for some dumb reason, it will still get sold in the rest of the country. Why is it not the same for Europe
California sets the standards for many things in the US, simply because its the largest single state in the Union.

Germany is considerably larger than the Netherlands. You do the math.

Jikmo
Hazed

Post by Jikmo »

damnit... apparently it has nothing to do with the DVD because I managed to get ahold of a DVD+R and still nothing. I went through all of my other games and tried them out. It can't seem to play any game over a certain size, including dual layer games... which means I may never get to play the game unless I can manage to get another PS2
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

funkyass wrote:
blackmyst wrote:Ehhh, we are a European country, we have ourselves to blame because of something someone else does? Whether or not Germany won't have blood in their games, I don't have anything to do with that, I don't give a shit. If a state in the US outlaws some kind of game for some dumb reason, it will still get sold in the rest of the country. Why is it not the same for Europe
California sets the standards for many things in the US, simply because its the largest single state in the Union.

Germany is considerably larger than the Netherlands. You do the math.
So if California does something that would, say, make it difficult for a new Resident Evil to get released in that state then suddenly they'd drop it for the US entirely? Somehow I don't think so.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

I actually blame the germans and the french for a lot of things, regardless of how truthful the accusations might be. I also blame Sony for claiming that Europe is a priority now, and then pushing back the PS3 release date.

Not that we haven't seen similar actions in the past.