Mortal Kombat 2.5

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Gonzo
Regular

Mortal Kombat 2.5

Post by Gonzo »

Hi,

I was recently reading about mortal kombat 2 and found out about 'hacked' versions of the game.
The one that I am most curious about is one that is called Mortal Kombat 2.5 (also referred to as Mortal Kombat III) where Smoke, Jade, Noob Saibot and Shao Kahn are all selectable fighters.

Anyway I checked out some rom sites I usually get my games from but had no luck finding it.

So my question is this, has the rom image of mortal kombat 2.5 been uploaded?

Don't worry, I'm not asking where to find the rom, I'm just wondering if I should keep hunting for it or if I should not bother because its never been dumped.

Oh, and if anyone has played it, is it worth getting?
paulguy
Zealot

Re: Mortal Kombat 2.5

Post by paulguy »

If it's a ROM hack based on mortal kombat 2, I imagine someone could just make a IPS of it.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

There's a thread about it on SNES Central. It was made into a pirate in Brazil.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

badinsults wrote:There's a thread about it on SNES Central. It was made into a pirate in Brazil.
Cheers :)
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Ok, I've finally played the game.

I found it incredibly buggy.

For instance, with smoke if you press down/down forward/forward/LP, he throws a spear, but the spear is thrown low to the ground (like a lui kang low fireball) and it does no damage. Plus it remains on the screen permanently and you cannot throw another spear once you have thrown the first one.

That is the most easily explainable of the glitches I've seen (don't even get me started on playing as shao kahn).

So I guess I'm wondering, is this how the game is supposed to be, or did I get a bad rom, or is the emulator I'm using causing the problem (I'm using the latest version of snes9x for the mac)?
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

What do you expect from a crappy hack done in the mid 90s before there were skilled ROM hackers?
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

badinsults wrote:What do you expect from a crappy hack done in the mid 90s before there were skilled ROM hackers?
THE MOST AWERSOME GAME EVAR>

I was expecting what I had heard, mortal kombat 2 but with all the characters (except for Kintro) playable.
I wasn't expecting something so buggy.

Oh fuck it, I'm just gonna play mortal kombat trilogy.
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

Well, that sort of thing isn't perfect.

It would take a large amount of skill in most games in general to make unplayable characters playable for usually a variety of simple reasons.

Other "characters", specifically unplayable ones, may not have the sprites (if we're talking most 2D games here) for punching or kicking and such, for example.

Or to put it really simple, if the game didn't do it it wasn't supposed to do it and hacking things like that are above and beyond things as simple as infinite life.

If we had the source to the games, well that'd be a whole different story.

Hacks are buggy.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

gllt wrote:Well, that sort of thing isn't perfect.

It would take a large amount of skill in most games in general to make unplayable characters playable for usually a variety of simple reasons.

Other "characters", specifically unplayable ones, may not have the sprites (if we're talking most 2D games here) for punching or kicking and such, for example.
In a fighting game like Mortal Kombat, I assume all the characters have punch and kick animations.
Not to say there aren't issues to overcome, just... not the basic ones.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:In a fighting game like Mortal Kombat, I assume all the characters have punch and kick animations.
Not to say there aren't issues to overcome, just... not the basic ones.
Yes, very true. I was just trying to give a basic example. Lack of graphics is a good one, I think.